Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingZorb

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
I had this problem with my iPhone 6 128gb. Took it to an Apple Store, they replaced it quickly after they saw the "red screen of death".

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
I predict another "-gate" mass hysteria article, followed by people coming out of the woodwork saying that this has happened to them. Then, a class action lawsuit against Apple, when in reality it will probably only affect a very small percentage of users with iPhone 6 Plus 128GB models.
Here's an idea - if it seems to affect only those that have large app libraries, why not restore as a new phone? Use it a little more each day, and see if the issue persists. Then, you might be able to pinpoint it a little better than "OMG! Apple doesn't care about QA anymore!"

Trotsky40

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
I have been having intermittent issues with both my iPhone 6 (16 GB) and my iPad Air 2 (128gb). My iPhone occasionally get a "blue screen of death" and goes through a whole boot cycle (it doesn't loop though). I haven't been able to consistently replicate it so not sure the cause of the issue. My iPad seems to be doing something similar but instead of a blue screen it shows the Apple logo and then it goes to the home screen. it is not going through a boot cycle though.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
So does a 128GB model have to have a different circuit board due to using a different flash controller? I thought Apple used a custom controller since it has to handle the encryption and making the NAND flash act like NOR for the boot code.

Anybody know?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Got my 64 GB Plus yesterday... it crashes to the Apple logo and boot-loops constantly. Maybe the issue is something else? (It only happens if I restore from my old phone, but if I don't, of course, I don't have my stuff. It also only happened after the 8.1 update--not that I tested 8.0.2 for long.) It certainly seems similar. I'm guessing it's Springboard that is dying, although it's not the (pretty harmless) "quick Springboard relaunch" that I saw occasionally with earlier iOS versions.

I don't think I've ever used a x.0 OS from anyone, but in my individual case, this is the worst x.1 I can recall. I bet more than 50% of people are fine... maybe a lot more... but I'm stuck. Can't even use my phone as an alarm anymore because it crashes when you put it to sleep half the time. Conclusion: do NOT install iOS 8 yet. Wait (But I had no choice, with a new phone.)

I predict another "-gate" mass hysteria article, followed by people coming out of the woodwork saying that this has happened to them. Then, a class action lawsuit against Apple, when in reality it will probably only affect a very small percentage of users with iPhone 6 Plus 128GB models.
Here's an idea - if it seems to affect only those that have large app libraries, why not restore as a new phone? Use it a little more each day, and see if the issue persists. Then, you might be able to pinpoint it a little better than "OMG! Apple doesn't care about QA anymore!"

That's a terrific test step that people with large app libraries (games, in my case) could try, just for the experiment. But it's incredibly time-consuming, and you lose your app organization, your game progress, your files in non-iCloud apps, your settings and passwords in ALL apps, etc.

So no, it doesn't makes sense to insist that that QA situation (large libraries) should fall on the shoulders of users rather than Apple.

Last edited:

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska

NAND Gate.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
I have been having intermittent issues with both my iPhone 6 (16 GB) and my iPad Air 2 (128gb). My iPhone occasionally get a "blue screen of death" and goes through a whole boot cycle (it doesn't loop though). I haven't been able to consistently replicate it so not sure the cause of the issue. My iPad seems to be doing something similar but instead of a blue screen it shows the Apple logo and then it goes to the home screen. it is not going through a boot cycle though.
Make sure they are both on the latest version of iOS (8.1).

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

If it happens on both your iPhone and iPad, then its probably an app you have installed on both devices.

NanaMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Mine 128gb iPhone 6+... Still around 60gb left.... So far no issues.... I'm experiencing some error in home search... ( not returning any result... )... My phone ruling iOS 8.1

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
That is going to affect performance on your device. In order to not affect read and write speed, you're always supposed to keep 10% free space of the capacity on your device (according to Anandtech).

No issues on performance either. Runs just as well as my parents 6+ with 5+ GB free on their 16GB models

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
No problems here. I have about only 1.5GB of free space on my 128GB

I get a feeling you might be referring to iCloud storage not internal storage. It's possible you might have lots of music and apps but seems odd you managed to fill it all short of a few Gigs?

hj43

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
This article seems like a lot of unsubstantiated speculation (possibly coming from competitors eager to create another -gate); given Apple's obsessive hardware testing and the fact that they had already been using TLC flash on the iPad for a while, it seems much more likely that it's an iOS issue.

iOS 8 is buggy anyway, and it's doubtful that more than a handful of the overworked programmers developing it had access to pre-production 128GB 6/6+ hardware to test on - what's more, between Extensions and iCloud Drive and the reorganization of app sandbox directories it's probably the biggest filesystem update in iOS' history.

So if the options are that a) Apple missed a massive flaw in a cheap but nonetheless extremely widely used hardware technology or b) iOS 8 can't handle 128 GB worth of files on an iPhone without the occasional horrible crash, I think b) seems like the much more likely choice.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Nothing is ever viral until MR add spice to their report.

This. First it was the bending issue that a whopping 9 customers reported, then the 8.0.1 update which impacted fewer than 40,000 of the 10+ million iPhone 6s out there at the time and now this. Funny how MR has been at the forefront of fanning the flames of hysteria each and every time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.