Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
New 10.2.8 Seeded

ThinkSecret reports that a new seed of Mac OS X 10.2.8 has been seeded to developers.

The newest build, 6R73, reportedly addresses the issues found in the previous version.

Apple initially released Mac OS X 10.2.8 to the public, but was quickly pulled in the following days due to a number of issues reported by users.

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
Yay, my site has been posted :p
We just reopened 30 minutes ago, heh.

I don't use Jaguar anymore, so I wouldn't know if this build has any improvements.

Einherjar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Yay.

Hooray for 10.2.8!

I'm surprised they didn't get this build out sooner, though..a nice final release for Jag (probably).

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Too bad I've done a complete revert and clean install to 10.2.6. By the way, my battery is still lasting for only ~2 hrs on my iBook with 10.2.6. Is it possible that 10.2.8 did permanent damage? If so, Will Apple recall the batteries or just get real quiet?

Hope the new .8 does the trick.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Cool.
I want to re-load that on my iMac just to make sure nothing's messed up. (My iMac went a little funky after that update.)

Side note: I ran Norton Anti-virus on my PC this afternoon. It found 19 viruses. I'm going to have to call an exterminator. I'm sooooooo glad that all my important things are on my Mac.

Squire

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
Originally posted by coolbreeze
By the way, my battery is still lasting for only ~2 hrs on my iBook with 10.2.6. Is it possible that 10.2.8 did permanent damage? If so, Will Apple recall the batteries or just get real quiet?

How should a piece of software do permanent damage to your battery?

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
i hope they tried a little harder this time. This gives me the impression panther might be a *little* bit further off then I would prefer.

1adonis1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
With Panther just a few weeks away, is anyone going to be brave enough to load this....esp. after what happened with the last 10.2.8. I'll just wait for Panther.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Too bad I've done a complete revert and clean install to 10.2.6. By the way, my battery is still lasting for only ~2 hrs on my iBook with 10.2.6. Is it possible that 10.2.8 did permanent damage? If so, Will Apple recall the batteries or just get real quiet?

Is it actually really lasting 2hrs (have you timed it)? Or are you just relying on what the clock in OSX says? My ibook is at 10.2.8 and the timer on mine says 2hr but I don't think the battery life has actually been shortened....

BTW 1adonis1, Panther will be 10.3.0 what makes you think that's any safer than 10.2.8

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Originally posted by Doraemon
From http://www.macfixit.com

Issues with battery life after an (pulled) 10.2.8 Update: Purported Apple confirmation

Over the past few days we've been reporting issues with decreased PowerBook and iBook battery life after installing the (pulled) 10.2.8 Update. A MacFixIt reader wrote in describing his conversation with AppleCare about this problem:

"Today I called AppleCare and asked about why my battery was acting so strangely [after installing 10.2.8]. I was put on hold for a few minutes while the phone tech talked to someone else. He came back on the line and said that it was a known issue, and that Apple wasn't recalling batteries just yet. He also said that restoring the system software to 10.2.6 wouldn't fix the problem. He said Apple is working on a fix and will release it soon via SoftwareUpdate."
I don't know how software would permanently damage a battery, but heard that 10.2.4 did irreversible damage to notebook batteries. It appears as though 10.2.8 is on that same track? I have no factual evidence of this (the damage) but I am wondering where my extra 1.5 hours has gone (now that I am running a fresh install of 10.2.6 and only getting 2 hours as opposed to my 3.5+ I got just before updating to 10.2.8)? Yes, I've measured actual time, not the OS timer time. You be the judge.

phc

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2003
battery life

I've also noticed a significant decline in battery life. I guess I'm lucky 10.2.4 didn't really do too much damage as others had reported but 10.2.8 has caused my battery life to decline by about 1/3. The other day with the screen brightness on my TiBook set to the lowest setting (before being completely dark) and other energy saver settings to the max I only got about 2 hours. Normally I can get about 3.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Originally posted by Doraemon

The fact is that my PB 1GHz battery wouldn't charge as soon as I made the update. It might have been coincidence. Soon I reverted back to 10.2.6, then battery is charging again. Its actually on 10.2.8 right now but teh battery is charging...... beats me..... :D but the user time is considerable short...

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland

Hmm, one thing you might want to try (if you haven't already) is to let the battery drain completely and then recharge. This apparently calibrates the battery and lets the processor inside give better estimates of the charge left.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Of course if you've done it already... then nevermind ;)

Also I agree with the other poster who said the battery indicator isn't very accurate. I sometimes get 25-50 percent more from a full charge than it guesses.

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
I was under the impression that the batteries had some kind of updateable firmware on them. I immediately noticed that the remaining time on the battery was much less after a full charge before I even read about the problem on MacFixit. I can't tell if I'm really getting less time or not since I haven't bothered to do a detailed analysis.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by punter
i hope they tried a little harder this time. This gives me the impression panther might be a *little* bit further off then I would prefer.

I don't think it's a matter of effort. I'm sure they're all working quite diligently.

How many developers, who are willing to test, are going to have consumer machines? Can you imagine most programmers asking for an eMac or an iMac or even an iBook? I don't think so.

Apple should probably have an extended test group a few weeks prior to release that includes people with consumer machines so they see the effects before the general public does.

10.2.8 is working fine on my machine. I wonder if Software Update will tell me that I need to download it again.

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
I just ordered JAGWIRE the day before yesterday from the Apple Store.
I am still on 10.1.5 and it has never let me down one minute.
So I figured, now with Panther around the corner it was safe to get at least into 10.2 :)
By the time Panther will be on 10.3.8 and Cougar/Bobcat/Whatever is a blip on the radarscreen, I guess I will take another plunge.
I am sorry for the first adopters, who got burned. My entire bizz runs on my i-mac and I just can't take any chances

macmax

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2002
caribbean
From http://www.macfixit.com

I don't know how software would permanently damage a battery, but heard that 10.2.4 did irreversible damage to notebook batteries. It appears as though 10.2.8 is on that same track? I have no factual evidence of this (the damage) but I am wondering where my extra 1.5 hours has gone (now that I am running a fresh install of 10.2.6 and only getting 2 hours as opposed to my 3.5+ I got just before updating to 10.2.8)? Yes, I've measured actual time, not the OS timer time. You be the judge.

mine was , is killed , after 10.2.4 too

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
bous:

i have 10.2.8 (pulled version)(build 6r65)
and i'm kind of hoping that Apple has us in mind. I have been walking on eggshells. we have 10 or so macs of varying model, and I updated them all.

It would be nice to see build 6r73 in the software update.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
The bettery loss from 10.2.4 was devestating. From 3 1/2 hrs to just onder 20-30 mts. It was a permanant damage to battery, if you were under Applcare, apple was sending out a replacement battery. (Unfortunately, i didnt get the applcare for my PB).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.