Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
I just updated with the new 10.2.8 and it added an hour to my battery display. I'll havae to see how it actually works out.

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
Re: Loss of battery life

Originally posted by maxterpiece
Has anyone installed 10.2.8 and not had a loss of battery life? My iBook went from like 3.5 to 2 hours.
max

I upgraded on my 1 GHz Titanium PowerBook with no noticeable drain. In fact it seems to last longer than it did before.

thedoc1111

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
NEW 10.2.8 UPDATE build in SW Update

The 10.2.8 Update (Build 6R73) includes an updated ethernet driver for 450MHz and 500MHz dual processor Power Mac G4 desktop systems and an update to the battery status menu.

Is the notes. In SW Update now

utilizer

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
In Atlanta!
Have no fear!

I just upgraded and I must proclaim, this is probably the best noticeable update Apple has made in a LONG time.
My Pismo booted the fastest I've ever seen it go. No spinning beach balls, just "boom" and it's there!
Makes me wonder what's in store for when Panther arrives! :D

Now to check for the "popping" sound in iTunes while one or more iApps is running to see if that problem is fixed.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Not for G5

Sugarprobe

Check the Apple site - I think that this upgrade is for G3 & G4 chips only - NOT for the G5.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: 10.2.8 for G5 released

Originally posted by sugarprobe
hi all

Versiontracker just posted a release of 10.2.8 for G5's with istructions. Cheers

:D
I find it bizarre that it would be available on VT before on the Apple site.

Discuss!

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by Trimix
I just ordered JAGWIRE the day before yesterday from the Apple Store.
I am still on 10.1.5 and it has never let me down one minute.
So I figured, now with Panther around the corner it was safe to get at least into 10.2 :)
By the time Panther will be on 10.3.8 and Cougar/Bobcat/Whatever is a blip on the radarscreen, I guess I will take another plunge.
I am sorry for the first adopters, who got burned. My entire bizz runs on my i-mac and I just can't take any chances

If running an entire business on a single iMac isn't taking chances, then I don't know what is.

mamorgan

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
New 10.2.8 Seed

I have installed the new seed. While it is too early to know for sure,my battery now claims to have 50 minutes remaining, but now at 30 percent. If this turns out to be true, battery life will have shifted from 2:00 to > 3:00, and I can deal with that. Here's hoping!

engpjp

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2002
10.2.8 UPDATED now posted......

I don't know if it was posted earlier in this discussion, but I have just updated my computer from 10.2.8 to 10.2.8 updated (the 6R73 build).

10.2.8 makes my iBook 900 run even faster than 10.2.7...

engpjp

[of course 10.2.8 isn't faster than 10.2.8 :^> ]

pulcinella2uk

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2003
London
10.2.8 (new version of the updater) killed Photoshop!

I installed 10.2.8 (original version) last week - no problems.

I installed the small updater to the revised version of 10.2.8 and now Photoshop is totally messed up.

If I try to do things like image resize the program stalls and can only be force quit.

Any one else with similar problems?

And why is it so difficult to find anywhere on the Apple.com website to inform them there's a problem?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
well i was watching ting thred carefully trying to figure out if i should install (i had 10.2.6 installed never did 10.2.8old). decided it seemed safe enough... i was wrong.

no huge problems. startup took a very long time. all documents have forgotten which app they belong to and have generic document icons. and the mointor is stuck in thousands of colors mode rather than millions (even after switching to millions in the displays pref pane it is still clearly in thousands)

original imac g4 768mb ram 800mhz

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
To do or not to do

I felt really sorry for people who used the original .8 update and had lots of problems. I have always been an habitual updater and applied it within moments of it's release. Not only did I have no problems with it, my Rev A 500Mhz PB definitely got better battery life (and it's always been good) but better still I would swear that my Airport coverage improved as well. I was suddenly able to use it in rooms previously devoid of reception even though as far as I know there was no enhancement of this feature in the update. I love that PB.
The problem I now have is that I just bought a ProTools system and my 500Mhz was just running out of breath so I got the 17" 1.33Ghz PB (I was desperately hoping against hope that the G5 PB would have arrived by the time I got the Studio but it wasn't to be) and of course it arrived 2 days ago with 10.2.7. I am now not rushing to update to the new .8. I think I'll wait for a few days and check back here for news. 10.2.7 seems to be great but there again with nearly a Gig faster proc OS 7 would seem great.:D

jpmack

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
California
Ok, quick question: I don't remember reading this, but when did the Keyboard and Mouse buttons in the System Preferences become joined into one button?? This had to have happened recently (10.2.8?) Because I remember that the Bluetooth button caused there to be a second row in the Hardware section, but now they all fit on one row. Can anyone confirm when this switch was made?

It was changed with 10.2.8.

Actually, it was changed in 10.2.7, the system that shipped on the new PowerBooks.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Originally posted by jpmack
Actually, it was changed in 10.2.7, the system that shipped on the new PowerBooks.
Haha, ok, well, as for me observing a change, it would have to have been when I upped to 10.2.8 since I don't own a computer that ever had 10.2.7.

Teronke

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2003
Originally posted by coolbreeze
I just don't understand why the time (battery) is still incorrect after I've done a complete erase and re-install of 10.2.6. My timer was never incorrect before 10.2.8. I would think that, unless the battery is damaged in some way, the fresh install of .6 would reflect the time just as it always has (correctly). I dont' get how the timer can still be incorrect?

Anyhow, I'll just buy Panther and call it a day (which is want Apple wants us to do anyhow!).

BTW, who's gonna be brave and download the new .8 as soon as it shows up in software update? I have learned to hold my horses!

Read you post and just to let you know other users have experienced similar problems.

I personally had to do a clean install of 10.2.6 because 10.2.8 screwed my system so much that an archive and install of 10.2.6 failed to work properly. My battery meter is still screwed which is such a hassle when trying to second guess battery life when you have a full day of lectures.

This particular problem is noted at MacFixit at http://www.macfixit.com/index.php?date=2003-10-02. Apparently Apple are aware and it should be fixed in the new release of 10.2.8

From my past experience with 10.2.8 I'm going to hold off for a few days for enough positive anecdotal evidence before upgrading

Fingers crosssed that it's indeed a software/power manager glitch and not permanent damage to the battery

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
well i was watching ting thred carefully trying to figure out if i should install (i had 10.2.6 installed never did 10.2.8old). decided it seemed safe enough... i was wrong.

no huge problems. startup took a very long time. all documents have forgotten which app they belong to and have generic document icons. and the mointor is stuck in thousands of colors mode rather than millions (even after switching to millions in the displays pref pane it is still clearly in thousands)

original imac g4 768mb ram 800mhz
Did you have the permissions repaired recently?

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by Teronke
Read you post and just to let you know other users have experienced similar problems.

I personally had to do a clean install of 10.2.6 because 10.2.8 screwed my system so much that an archive and install of 10.2.6 failed to work properly. My battery meter is still screwed which is such a hassle when trying to second guess battery life when you have a full day of lectures.

This particular problem is noted at MacFixit at http://www.macfixit.com/index.php?date=2003-10-02. Apparently Apple are aware and it should be fixed in the new release of 10.2.8

From my past experience with 10.2.8 I'm going to hold off for a few days for enough positive anecdotal evidence before upgrading

Fingers crosssed that it's indeed a software/power manager glitch and not permanent damage to the battery
I installed both instances of 10.2.8, and while the only problem for me with the first one was the battery meter/actual autonomy issue, this has been resolved with the second one. Completely. If anything, it feels like I have more autonomy than what I used to have on 10.2.6.

Again I should stress, for people who want to update their systems, that it is important to repair disk permissions before and after the update, just to be on the safe side. I believe a lot of the problems encountered this time might be due to broken permissions at the time of the update.

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
Originally posted by edenwaith
No, paranoid would be not even updating to Jaguar...or perhaps even OS X. I'm doing installations for a large corporation, and some of the software they have installed on some of their machines are at least one or two versions old, even though these are fresh installations with Windows XP. That would be like using Photoshop 5 or 6 still, instead of upgrading to PS 7.

Paranoid ? Naw, not really - I am just happy with things which work 100%.
My reasoning goes like this - When I buy a car or a computer program which is on its last version prior to being upgraded (in the case of the car replaced with a new model) then I am avoiding all the little hiccups, which simply come with new versions or models.
I see it as receiving the best version/model with the most amount of work put into it. I may be behind the most current development but I am happy to have the early-adopters try it out and to read about good and bad before I venture out into the cold brrrrrr :p
With this behavior I am imitating a lot of programmers in critical insurance applications who will adopt on the last update and not on the first.

chickengrease16

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
Originally posted by frozenstar
If running an entire business on a single iMac isn't taking chances, then I don't know what is.

a-men to that. redundancy is key! like it would be utter blasphemy (or extreme trust, one of the two) to load your entire music library onto itunes on your powerbook and throw away the original cds without backing it up to dvd or an ipod. to the original poster that runs his entire business on an imac: if you back up your stuff, just follow the norm and use the latest version of mac os. maybe wait a week or two after the updates come out if you want to be safe, and check forums like these. but for the most part there aren't MAJOR problems (especially with desktop machines, usually its the ibook and powerbook users that have problems) and the updates actually FIX problems, which is the main reason for updates in the first place. but, i understand that there are those that like to be in the old days. like those peeps that still use 2.2 kernel linux, because 2.4 just "isnt stable enough yet". and once 2.6 comes out of RC stage, MAYBE then they'll upgrade... i dunno. i just think its a waste of energy. and it doesnt promote software development if people live with older software. back to topic, i have been using my 15" 1GHz superdrive powerbook running the original 10.2.8 since it came out, and no problems whatsoever. but i'll probably upgrade to the "fixed" 10.2.8 soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.