Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: When will the rest come?

Originally posted by MM2270
OK, so now that it looks like we'll be getting the NEW AND IMPROVED 10.2.8 update in the next few weeks, will Apple FINALLY release those iCal and iSync updates they've been sitting on what seems like FOREVER! Jeeez! I mean I know they prolly needed to go back to those updates and check them thoroughly to make sure they won't delete people's hard drives or something, but I really wish they'd get them out the friggin door already. :rolleyes:
I've been telling people I work with that iCal and iSync updates are imminent for weeks now, and nothing has materialized. Come on Apple, get them done, and don't you DARE even think of rolling them into Panther, thus forcing users to upgrade just to make iCal function the way it should have to begin with! :rolleyes: :mad:

That's pretty contentious for someone who's getting iCal and iSync for free. You act as if you're paying for them.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Originally posted by punter
i hope they tried a little harder this time. This gives me the impression panther might be a *little* bit further off then I would prefer.
Not necessarily. That's the first thought that popped into my head, but then a second later it hit me that not everyone is going to be upgrading to Panther right away. They still need a final update to bring Jaguar up to where they want it for all of the people who will be sticking with it for a while before investing in Panther.

mamorgan

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
10.2.8 Batter Life

I "upgraded" to 10.2.8 and max battery time displayed was about 1:55. Actual running time was somewhat longer, depending on level of use, but left alone, it would die in about 2:15. I called Apple, did all the stuff (reinitialize battery, disabled a couple of things using the terminal, shifted to lower performance mode, turned down the screen, used long-life power settings, ate right, did my exercises, everything. 1:55. So I called them back, told them the sad story, and next morning I had a new battery waiting at my office --- great!. So I got the battery, charged it 20 hours, turned on machine this AM - 2:00 is promised life. Reinitialized the battery, reset the power management control, recharged and viola - 2:00. So I called them, told them to leave the case file open and I will wait for the patch or new seed to be released and try it again. Not that big a deal to load the upgrades, and for now, I will used the machine within 4' of an outlet. -- I'm sure there's a moral, but don't what it isi. Good Luck.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Loss of battery life

Has anyone installed 10.2.8 and not had a loss of battery life? My iBook went from like 3.5 to 2 hours.
max

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Re: When will the rest come?

Originally posted by bousozoku
That's pretty contentious for someone who's getting iCal and iSync for free. You act as if you're paying for them.

I thought we paid a premium for macs because they give us better software (be that the OS or iLife).

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
running on 10.2.8, my 15' TiBook now gets a whopping 1:50 lifetime on battery.

Seems like Apple has a laundry list of updates that are due anytime now, wish they would get this fix out of the way.

-rik

vannote

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2003
NYC
Re: 10.2.8 Batter Life

Originally posted by mamorgan

10.2.8 Batter Life

Thats pretty much how I feel...

PowerBook battery life went from what seemed to be the good half of a day to around 2 1/2 hours give or take 30 minutes.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
battery life

My iBook has always gotten right around two hours of battery life, and that's in savings mode. Mind you, booted in OS 9 it's closer to four hours. OS X tends to access the hard drive quite a bit, something that Apple was supposedly going to try to fix. I've never met a single person in my vast travels that ever have gotten the five hours battery life as Apple claims. I think this comes with the territory, not that it's right, just something to buck up. Hopefully maybe Panther will use the HD less and we'll see battery life gains.

Angelo

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2002
Apple thinks that 10.2.8 has already been fixed.

ok so what is up with this on the Apple site...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by LimeLite
Not necessarily. That's the first thought that popped into my head, but then a second later it hit me that not everyone is going to be upgrading to Panther right away. They still need a final update to bring Jaguar up to where they want it for all of the people who will be sticking with it for a while before investing in Panther.

Remember those people who can't upgrade to Panther.

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Re: Loss of battery life

Originally posted by maxterpiece
Has anyone installed 10.2.8 and not had a loss of battery life? My iBook went from like 3.5 to 2 hours.
max
Me!

When I first got my iBook in Jan. 2002, I got about 4.5 hours of life out of it when rigged to drain as little power as possible (monitor dim, etc.). That gradually diminished over the year and a half to about 3 or 3.5 hours (this didn't coincide with any of the software updates, and I've always kept my OS up-to-date).

I installed the 10.2.8 update the next morning after it became available, and while the system's prediction of battery life has nose-dived I'm still getting about 3 or 3.5 hours out of it in real use.

That's with the monitor dim, volume muted (this is mainly in classes), processor on "reduced", Airport turned off, and not doing any heavy-duty stuff...

If I really max the machine out -- surfing the web on Airport, max processor, brightness up, and playing iTunes -- I get maybe 1.5 hours... originally though, I probably only got 2 or 2.5.

Since I do most of my heavy lifting on a Quicksilver G4, the iBook doesn't give me trouble. I can take notes in two classes in a row, then charge it up on my break, then get another 2 classes of note taking out of it. Did it all last week with 10.2.8, just like always.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Originally posted by Trimix
I just ordered JAGWIRE the day before yesterday from the Apple Store.
I am still on 10.1.5 and it has never let me down one minute.
So I figured, now with Panther around the corner it was safe to get at least into 10.2 :)
By the time Panther will be on 10.3.8 and Cougar/Bobcat/Whatever is a blip on the radarscreen, I guess I will take another plunge.
I am sorry for the first adopters, who got burned. My entire bizz runs on my i-mac and I just can't take any chances

But why didn't you wait for Panther to be released? You would have gotten a cheap original Jaguar CD set on eBay then.

rockman2023

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Re-update 10.2.8

I guess I shouldnt have a reason to re-update 10.2.8. It runs fine on my 733 Quicksilver. Any suggestions?

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
wow, you are *really* paranoid.... lol

No, paranoid would be not even updating to Jaguar...or perhaps even OS X. I'm doing installations for a large corporation, and some of the software they have installed on some of their machines are at least one or two versions old, even though these are fresh installations with Windows XP. That would be like using Photoshop 5 or 6 still, instead of upgrading to PS 7.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
With all of this talk about loss of battery life etc, I have felt lucky with my installation of dot 8.

Wednesday night while I was on the road, my PB didn't recognize my power adaptor. My short hairs stood on end as I looked at my battery life sitting below 50% and a day of travel to go.

I reset the machine, ran fsck, took the battery off for awhile, etc. I had just about given up when I plugged it in one more time. Now it worked.

This morning I got to work and the same deal. Went to Mac Hardware here in KC (a great mac store btw) and it was my adaptor. And it was under warranty.

Still no issues with dot 8. I use the % setup for my battery vs. time left. Seems the same as before.

a_kim

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
DC
another sad battery story

My TiBook 500MHz has the battery problem after updating to 10.2.8. I used to get 3.5 hours... now about 2.5.

The sadder part of the story is that I had just received my new 17 incher the day that 10.2.8 came out, and the first thing I did was update the system. So I have no idea what the battery life was on this thing before the update, but now it's at 2:10 consistently, which I don't find acceptable for a brand new laptop. Hopefully 10.2.8b will fix things up.

And yes, I recalibrated the batteries for both machine and reset the PMU, pram, and nvram. Nothing worked.

-Alex

a_kim

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
DC
battery seems better

Well, if you read my earlier post (right before the new update came out), you'll see that I reported only 2:10 on my new 17 incher. After updating, it now indicates 3:20. Of course, we'll have to see if I actually get that amount of time, but this seems promising. Giddyup.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Ok, quick question: I don't remember reading this, but when did the Keyboard and Mouse buttons in the System Preferences become joined into one button?? This had to have happened recently (10.2.8?) Because I remember that the Bluetooth button caused there to be a second row in the Hardware section, but now they all fit on one row. Can anyone confirm when this switch was made?

a_kim

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
DC
Originally posted by LimeLite
Ok, quick question: I don't remember reading this, but when did the Keyboard and Mouse buttons in the System Preferences become joined into one button?? This had to have happened recently (10.2.8?) Because I remember that the Bluetooth button caused there to be a second row in the Hardware section, but now they all fit on one row. Can anyone confirm when this switch was made?

It was changed with 10.2.8.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: New 10.2.8

Originally posted by NicoMan
A new 10.2.8 is available in your software update...

This needs more testing, but battery monitor seems more like it was before 10.2.8, even though it is still a bit jumpy... I guess it is in the process of recalibrating. After reboot after the update, it started by showing I had 9:30 hours autonomy. After 2 secs it went to 4 hours. DOH!!

Let's see how this works.

posixstudent

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2003
Springfield
If A precedes B…

<TROLL> If A precedes B, then B MUST be caused by A. Therefore if a lady gives birth during a hurricane then hurricanes must induce labor or if your favorite soccer/football player scores after a train whistle sounds then it must be the train whistle that caused him to score. If an iBook battery goes dead on Sept. 29, 2003 then it must be the 10.2.4 or 10.2.8 update. </TROLL>

Ever since I started reading comments about updates starting with 10.2.4, I have come to the conclusion that it is a problem with the batteries themselves. In my case, if A preceded B then it was actually problems with the 10.2.2 update that killed my new 16Meg VRAM iBook’s battery. Below is a list of things to consider:

1) Quartz Extreme: My iBook had it’s initial drain on battery life when I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.2. This may be in part due to the increased use of the graphics co-processor which produced more hear and used more energy.

2) Have you recalibrate the battery, reset Power Management, and reset nvram? These steps have been known to fix a lot of problems (search Apple Support discussions).

3) Have you searched Apple’s Support discussion board and Knowledge base or others having problems? There is a lot of info on iBook/PowerBook battery issues.

4) Was there anything else odd besides reduction in battery life, like the battery life indicator LED’s started to blink on recharge?

5) What’s your battery consumption like in Mac OS 9? Has anyone tried that yet???

6) How many are having problems with actual battery life (as opposed to the computers guess) after 10.2.8 and is it consistent across models? As I am seeing it, a few complain after 10.2.4, more after 10.2.5, more after 10.2.6, more after 10.2.8, and a whole bunch at other random times. This makes it clear the actual problem, the design of some iBook/PowerBook batteries are faulty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.