Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Originally posted by Trimix
I just ordered JAGWIRE the day before yesterday from the Apple Store.
I am still on 10.1.5 and it has never let me down one minute.
So I figured, now with Panther around the corner it was safe to get at least into 10.2 :)
By the time Panther will be on 10.3.8 and Cougar/Bobcat/Whatever is a blip on the radarscreen, I guess I will take another plunge.
I am sorry for the first adopters, who got burned. My entire bizz runs on my i-mac and I just can't take any chances

wow, you are *really* paranoid.... lol

mrwilly123

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
about the battery

i had the same problem when i updated to 10.2.8 on my ibook. it was down from about 3.5 hrs to less than 2. then i installed PANTHER 7B80, and my battery life is back to 3.5 hrs!

so dont worry, your battery is fine, and panther or the next update will fix the problem.

MM2270

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
New York
When will the rest come?

OK, so now that it looks like we'll be getting the NEW AND IMPROVED 10.2.8 update in the next few weeks, will Apple FINALLY release those iCal and iSync updates they've been sitting on what seems like FOREVER! Jeeez! I mean I know they prolly needed to go back to those updates and check them thoroughly to make sure they won't delete people's hard drives or something, but I really wish they'd get them out the friggin door already. :rolleyes:
I've been telling people I work with that iCal and iSync updates are imminent for weeks now, and nothing has materialized. Come on Apple, get them done, and don't you DARE even think of rolling them into Panther, thus forcing users to upgrade just to make iCal function the way it should have to begin with! :rolleyes: :mad:

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Originally posted by coolbreeze
Too bad I've done a complete revert and clean install to 10.2.6. By the way, my battery is still lasting for only ~2 hrs on my iBook with 10.2.6. Is it possible that 10.2.8 did permanent damage? If so, Will Apple recall the batteries or just get real quiet?

Hope the new .8 does the trick.
As others have mentioned, my iBook REPORTS significantly diminished battery life -- used to be 3 or 4 hours, now it never says more than 1 hour & 30 mins. But, actual battery life has not changed.

I rigged my menubar to just give me the percent (because always seeing low numbers got on my nerves) and have been using my iBook with 10.2.8 exactly the same as before. It goes just as long before a recharge.

I do regularly let it run all the way down to forced sleep, then charge it all the way back up. I've heard that's good for batteries and can really bump up its life. When I first started doing that, I noticed a pretty drastic improvement.

I really think 10.2.8 just screwed up the guess (and it's never been more than a guess anyway) on remaining battery life. Hopefully the next update will fix it, but honestly... I'm not sure it's such a big deal. My iBook's been treating me perfectly well since January of 2002, one little goofy number doesn't bother me :)

mrwilly123

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Re: When will the rest come?

Originally posted by MM2270
OK, so now that it looks like we'll be getting the NEW AND IMPROVED 10.2.8 update in the next few weeks, will Apple FINALLY release those iCal and iSync updates they've been sitting on what seems like FOREVER! Jeeez! I mean I know they prolly needed to go back to those updates and check them thoroughly to make sure they won't delete people's hard drives or something, but I really wish they'd get them out the friggin door already. :rolleyes:
I've been telling people I work with that iCal and iSync updates are imminent for weeks now, and nothing has materialized. Come on Apple, get them done, and don't you DARE even think of rolling them into Panther, thus forcing users to upgrade just to make iCal function the way it should have to begin with! :rolleyes: :mad:

hate to break it to ya but ical 1.5 and isync 1.2 are in panther. i dont see any differences with isync, but ical actually runs decently on my ibook now

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
So far, no problems on either computer, but I will definately update once the new 10.2.8 gets out. Here's to hoping for 10.3 in the near future...

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Originally posted by achmafooma
As others have mentioned, my iBook REPORTS significantly diminished battery life -- used to be 3 or 4 hours, now it never says more than 1 hour & 30 mins. But, actual battery life has not changed.
I just don't understand why the time (battery) is still incorrect after I've done a complete erase and re-install of 10.2.6. My timer was never incorrect before 10.2.8. I would think that, unless the battery is damaged in some way, the fresh install of .6 would reflect the time just as it always has (correctly). I dont' get how the timer can still be incorrect?

Anyhow, I'll just buy Panther and call it a day (which is want Apple wants us to do anyhow!).

BTW, who's gonna be brave and download the new .8 as soon as it shows up in software update? I have learned to hold my horses!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
well, I had no problems with the original 10.2.8 (running fine on my ibook right now).

But enough of this anyway... where's panther??

MM2270

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
New York
Re: Re: When will the rest come?

Originally posted by mrwilly123
hate to break it to ya but ical 1.5 and isync 1.2 are in panther. i dont see any differences with isync, but ical actually runs decently on my ibook now

Well, I guess I never expected the new iCal and iSync NOT to be in Panther. Maybe I should have been more clear. Obviously Panther will include all the latest versions of all the iApps, but I will really hate it if Apple doesn't release the updates as separate downloads for Jaguar users. I know I'll get Panther pretty soon after it's out, but to roll updates that improve a basic piece of software into a (maybe) $129 upgrade of the whole OS is really shi*ty practice IMHO. That's a Microsoft practice- don't fix the apps, just make upgrades and roll them into a new OS upgrade, and make it so it will require the new OS. I guess I'm just saying that I won't like it if Apple forces you to get it that way.

Nutzoids

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Philly
I have been having the same issue with my battery...I put mine in the freezer over night and plugged it back in...It gave me almost 4 hours (real...not system time) when 10.2.8 was installed it took me down to 1/2 hour real time? I guess my Graphite iBook is a little older then what you guys are talking about! but it has been working fine since!

1adonis1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
I think they have put more time and manpower into Panther. I could be wrong.

BTW 1adonis1, Panther will be 10.3.0 what makes you think that's any safer than 10.2.8 [/B][/QUOTE]

T.Rex

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Toronto, ON
Originally posted by Nutzoids
I have been having the same issue with my battery...I put mine in the freezer over night and plugged it back in...It gave me almost 4 hours (real...not system time)

Freeze it? I thought that was the worst possible thing for a battery!

chickengrease16

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
i'm currently using the pulled 10.2.8 and i havent had any major problems at all. the only thing ive noticed was that the language input menu (the little flag where you can change languages... i constantly switch between english and greek) disappeared, even though it was enabled in the preferences so i had to disable it than reenable it and it works. also, safari decided to uncheck the "block popup windows" which was driving me nuts, cause i wasnt used to popups on safari and i couldnt figure out what it was! lol and my battery, when cutting the screen to next-to-off and turning off airport and muting it and having nothing running it says 5:20, so no problems there. for reference, here's the specs of my system:

15" Powerbook G4
1GHz / 768MB / 60GB / superdrive / airport

magitekkn

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by achmafooma
I do regularly let it run all the way down to forced sleep, then charge it all the way back up. I've heard that's good for batteries and can really bump up its life. When I first started doing that, I noticed a pretty drastic improvement.

I would recommend against this practice. While discharging and re-charging batteries such as Ni-Cd or NiMH, will increase the life by preventing what is known as the 'memory effect' there is no such effect on Lithium Ion batteries. Li-Ion batteries are rated for a certain number of complete discharge/recharge cycles in their lifetime. When you perform an un-needed discharge/recharge cycle, you are wasting life on your battery.

(partial cycles such as discharge down to 75% then recharge to 100% do not count as a complete cycle)

The only reason I would ever discharge my battery fully would be a) if I needed to for work abroad of b) to re-calibrate the power manager

nickysfuture

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
I noticed an actual decline in the amount of operating time I get out of my battery when I updated my iBook to 10.2.8. I never had the menu bar battery display time - it was always in percent. The most obvious manifestation of the effect is that leaving it asleep overnight would always cause the battery to drop 4%-5%; now it drops 7%-10%. There is definitely something funky going on with it and draining it completely didn't help, neither did resetting the nvram. Here's hoping they fix it soon.

biscuit

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by Nutzoids
I have been having the same issue with my battery...I put mine in the freezer over night...
Good God man! You really are Nutzoids! I really don't think freezing your battery is very good for it.

Also, contrary to popular belief, draining your Li-ion battery completely then recharging it isn't actually good for it. This is a throw back to NiCd cells which had a memory effect, so needed to be drained fully occasionally. Li-ions prefer not be drained below 20% ever (if you can help it). They also don't like being held at 100% forever either (which is why mine is screwed I believe; I've always got it plugged in).

What I'd like to see is someone bringing out a battery blank, so you can remove the battery but not have the machine tilt over. Then you can safely store your Li-ion with 40% charge in the fridge.

OK, someone already said most of this while I was typing. Just so you know my battery info was gleaned from here

biscuit

Nutzoids

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Philly
Alright...well I guess you guys are right...But All I know is that it has worked...I am Nutz...thats the reason for my name...I tryed to open the thing to work on the actuall cells...But I didn't

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
Battery has one year warranty

My Powerbook battery completely died some time after a 10.2.8 update, though I don't know if it was related. It would not charge at all and was at 0%. My other batteries would charge fine though the time showed was less than I remember from them.

Luckily my battery was still under it's one year warranty so I just took it back to the Apple Store and they replaced it, no charge ;-P

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Uhh, shouldn't this be 10.2.9? At least for those of us who did update before 10.2.8 was pulled? If they re-release this as 10.2.8, I can just imagine the confusion on tech support calls:

Apple: What version of Mac OS X are you running?
Consumer: 10.2.8
Apple: Is that the good version or the bad version?
Consumer: :confused:

Of course, they can ask you for the build number, but 10.2.9 just avoids any confusion. I mean, heck, they did skip 10.2.7 for those of us who didn't get new machines with it preinstalled.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by biscuit
Also, contrary to popular belief, draining your Li-ion battery completely then recharging it isn't actually good for it. This is a throw back to NiCd cells which had a memory effect, so needed to be drained fully occasionally. Li-ions prefer not be drained below 20% ever (if you can help it). They also don't like being held at 100% forever either (which is why mine is screwed I believe; I've always got it plugged in).

Which is likely the reason why Apple changed their battery design to avoid short charge cycles. If you had the battery that came with one of the original TiBooks, then it would charge as long as you were plugged in, regardless of how full the battery is. If you have a newer battery (I believe they came with the Rev B TiBooks and beyond) then it will cycle between 95%-100% charged (which you can see in your battery indicator). There is an article on Apple Support about this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. I gave my sister my old TiBook 400 with the original battery and within about 6 months the battery wouldn't hold more than about 20 minutes of charge (at that point it was just over 2 years old and on nearly constant AC power).

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Comments

Someone asked: How can software damage a battery?

Our iBooks run on what it thinks the battery charge is. My experience and that of most others is that the time estimate got screwed up, but the performance was otherwise unaffected.

Once the iBook thinks the charge is down to a certain level, it'll warn you and soon go to sleep or shut down. If the firmware screwed up how much time the battery reports to the iBook, it will give us too little actual time.

A few people have reported ACTUAL performance degradation.

Another person asked: How can you trust 10.3.0 more than 10.2.8?

A lot of independent developers have been using Panther for months. I would imagine that they caught a lot of the errors and bugs that would have made it out in an update that was tested briefly in house.

And inside Apple, I'll bet the best people are working on Panther, leaving the less excellent (how's that for diplomacy?) folks to work on a completely unsexy maintenance update.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
My PB G4 550 went from an average of 2hours 40mins to under 2hours (estimated time). I have also noticed lots of other problems with the update. Like problems with iTunes.

I will update as soon as it comes out since I would be very supprised if Apple makes another buggy update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.