Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Citing "sources close to Intel", TGDaily claims that Intel will be delaying their Montevina notebook platform until July 14th, with a full line of chipsets not shipping for "a couple of weeks later". The reasons for the delay are believed to include FCC certification holdups as well as integrated graphic chip failures.

Apple followers have been paying attention to the Montevina release as a possible marker for the next MacBook revision. Apple last updated the MacBook in February of this year. The latest rumors have pointed to the 3rd Quarter of 2008 (July-September) as the delivery timeframe for the next MacBook.

Intel's Montevina revision promises Mac users a faster front side bus and faster Penryn processors over the existing designs.

Article Link

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Hmmm...FCC issues translats to WiMax, I guess.

And integrated gfx...pffff...I could care less. I'm in the MBP market, so I don't care :cool:

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
As long as it is here for the start of the school year, i don't care. I'm really hoping to get a new MBP for the start of the school year, which I think starts like September 3...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Good. More time to grab a new Macbook in it's current design. I don't know if I am going to be happy with the Macbook if they make it aluminum. I understand they need to change it because they want to keep the product line looking fresh and consistent.

Apple is probably happy because they would prefer to wait longer to upgrade their gear.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
The Mac Mini doesn't even have Santa Rosa yet. It's using the same chipset/logic board since it moved to Intel. This might lead one to think it will make the jump straight to Montevina... unless Apple decides to continue to spite it by giving it the worst conceivable configurations.

Somebody --SOMEBODY-- please care about the MacMini... just a little?

-Clive

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Well I hope the new processors can make their ways into updated MacBooks/Macbook Pros before my term at Drexel begins... Thankfully their fall semester doesn't begin until mid September! :rolleyes:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Forget the MacBooks, where are the Mac mini updates? :(

imho that's what's inside those container ships.

The Mac Mini doesn't even have Santa Rosa yet. It's using the same chipset/logic board since it moved to Intel. This might lead one to think it will make the jump straight to Montevina... unless Apple decides to continue to spite it by giving it the worst conceivable configurations.

Somebody --SOMEBODY-- please care about the MacMini... just a little?

-Clive

The mini will probably get the GMA X3100 graphics and stay with the Santa Rosa chipset to differentiate it from the new Macbooks etc.

tenks

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
this shouldnt really effect Mac laptops cause mac's have never used the Centrino platforms in their entirety, just the chipset and chip. The new mobile penryns launch June 22nd. Ya know, the 1066fsb penryns:

X9100@3.06GHz, T9600@2.80, P9500@2.53, T9400 also @2.53, P8600@2.40 and the lowly P8400@2.26. All but the last two are 6M caches, those have 3M, but all are on a 1066FSB.

And the stuff thats supposedly holding back Monte are the integrated graphics GMA x4500 aka g45 which won't effect a re-spin on Macbook Pros...THis FCC stuff seems like bs. I dont really trust TG daily.

schnb

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
As long as it is here for the start of the school year, i don't care. I'm really hoping to get a new MBP for the start of the school year, which I think starts like September 3...

ditto..
except i think uni starts later september.
but it should be here before both of those!

dont think i can wait that long though, should i give in and get the current macbook? sounds like the x4500 might have a bit of trouble..

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
integrated graphic chip failures.

Yeah, an encouraging sign here, not.

Intel's continual problems with their integrated graphics continue. This is the one area Intel keep on messing up and offering substandard hardware. Maybe they're all concentrating on Larrabee (forthcoming 80 core x86 graphics chip) but it might just be yet more driver problems from their slow underperforming driver team. Maybe this would just affect Windows...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
But then again this could be spin on the part of Intel and Apple to keep the focus off new Macbooks. Apple has put out new Intel stuff before other PC makers before and could do it again.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
No significant changes to MB or MBP until Feb/March. Just a bump in Sept or October.

Any change of getting the refresh announced at WWDC and shipping a month later?

Seems like Jobs, but then again I'm a new convert. :D

WWDC was last year around June and there is a new WWDC on June 9, I do not recall any refresh announcement at last year WWDC. What refresh are you referring to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.