Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
But then again this could be spin on the part of Intel and Apple to keep the focus off new Macbooks. Apple has put out new Intel stuff before other PC makers before and could do it again.

Given the impact this has on Intel's stock as well as all other Intel partners, I have a hard time they'd delay the platform to "keep focus off of new MacBooks".

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
This is like seeing people holding off on buying a new house because a drain manufacturer is promising very slightly larger bore drainpipes in six months' time. Not that anyone will ever know the difference, but it matters to some.

thinkband

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
Yep so I am getting a new macbook pro today from the apple store, lol.

It made sense to wait for WWDC since the time of a refresh and the chip were around the same time, but nothing will happen at WWDC. They are not going to make a serious case revision a 'silent update,' therefore, we are very likely to see at most a bump in Sep/Oct and nothing until January+.

Good thing for us college students who were waiting and waiting for this crazy case redesign, because now we can get our computers sooner and play around with them during the summer.

Just a tip, no need in waiting another 2+ months for a speed upgrade, unless you're paranoid about having the fastest apple laptop on the market at the time.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
are you kidding

imho that's what's inside those container ships.

The mini will probably get the GMA X3100 graphics and stay with the Santa Rosa chipset to differentiate it from the new Macbooks etc.

To differentiate it from the macbook? Like hello! How much different do they have to be. Give me a break. They are completely different markets.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
This is actually good news. Better chance of new gpu's coming out from nvidia or that other company that used to be really good but now is not so good at producing graphics cards.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Just a tip, no need in waiting another 2+ months for a speed upgrade, unless you're paranoid about having the fastest apple laptop on the market at the time.

No need to buy it if you dont need it yet either. Going by this news it looks like there will be an upgrade in a few months time, probably before the new college term starts.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
A bit of a "Yawn" - Montevina will provide a small improvement - Nehalem processors in early 2009 is what I hope Intel will accelerate to market.

Some significant improvement on the near term horizon......

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
So it looks like June is just the phones.

Ha.. yeah....

But... but... FINALLY rumors of teh iPhone coming to Holland!!! Seems KPN is talking wid da Steve :D

EDIT.. sorry about that guys.. shouldn't have posted that here... but I just read it on some other news/rumor site... just had to react somewhere immediately.... feels like being a young puppy who has to stay in his basket while overexcited... :eek:

thinkband

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
No need to buy it if you dont need it yet either. Going by this news it looks like there will be an upgrade in a few months time, probably before the new college term starts.

Sure, but people are going to be posting "Should I wait for Montevina," "Will there be a case redesign," "What else will Apple introduce in the new laptops."
The answers are probably 1) Small speed increase and possibility of a magnetic latch (reach), 2) No case redesign until Nahelm (probably), 3) Probably nothing worth waiting for.

It is good to wait if there is something worth waiting for. A minor speed increase? meh. IMHO, most of the recent Apple updates weren't really waiting for: Multitouch, 5% speed increases, better HD. At this point people are waiting for blue ray drives, HD 15" screen, new case redesign, new keyboards, macbook air latch, etc. Most likely, none of these features will be featured in the next update, with the exception of the macbook air latch.

But if it is your perogative to wait an extra 2-3 months to get a slightly faster notebook, than by all means wait it out. I'll be enjoying photobooth as a first time Apple convert.

Specialk4004

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
Yep so I am getting a new macbook pro today from the apple store, lol.

It made sense to wait for WWDC since the time of a refresh and the chip were around the same time, but nothing will happen at WWDC. They are not going to make a serious case revision a 'silent update,' therefore, we are very likely to see at most a bump in Sep/Oct and nothing until January+.

Good thing for us college students who were waiting and waiting for this crazy case redesign, because now we can get our computers sooner and play around with them during the summer.

Well, I think you forgot about the Special Event in August of 2007 when Steve announced the case redesign of the iMacs.

If they dont redesign the MB/P this summer...there will most likely be a special event like the one last august for the iMacs or last september for the iPod redesign.

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
im getting a macbook for college. never owned a mac before. so im waiting a little. its tough! I want to get one with enough time to play around with it and get to know it. Yet if a new one comes out, i want to get that. But if a new one came out, chances are there will be bugs... if its even worth the update so for know, il wait until the event, if they dont say anything then il wait until end of june/july ( its graduation gift so il be able to get it then)........i hope they announce it though if there will be an update and say when it comes out and what it will have. i go to school end of augest. I want to have the macbook by mid-july the latest

Twilight Elk

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Arizona
im getting a macbook for college. never owned a mac before. so im waiting a little. its tough! I want to get one with enough time to play around with it and get to know it. Yet if a new one comes out, i want to get that. But if a new one came out, chances are there will be bugs... if its even worth the update so for know, il wait until the event, if they dont say anything then il wait until end of june/july ( its graduation gift so il be able to get it then)........i hope they announce it though if there will be an update and say when it comes out and what it will have. i go to school end of augest. I want to have the macbook by mid-july the latest

In the same boat as you, my good friend.

I start college in late August, so I hope I get it before then.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Well, I think you forgot about the Special Event in August of 2007 when Steve announced the case redesign of the iMacs.

If they dont redesign the MB/P this summer...there will most likely be a special event like the one last august for the iMacs or last september for the iPod redesign.

Case redesign is waiting for Nehalem.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA

I'm in the same boat. Nothing like being in a Chem Lab and trying to figure out how to use a laptop.

nja247

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
UK
True, but

A bit of a "Yawn" - Montevina will provide a small improvement - Nehalem processors in early 2009 is what I hope Intel will accelerate to market.

Some significant improvement on the near term horizon......

Largely true, but not for MacBooks, which would benefit greatly from the better gfx chip, assuming of course Intel and Apple gets the driver in order.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Just because its been delayed to July doesn't mean they can't announce anything new and start shipping in August, or just use the new Penryn 1066fsb processors with the current Santa Rosa board.

limonade

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Geez, I'm tired of waiting =/. I mean, I don't really need it before the beginning of school but I want it so bad, I want to play on it and get to know it, just like Macsforcollege? =/ ... Now I really wonder if I'll wait until July 14th ... But ... If I've waited all this time, maybe I'll be able to wait another 1 month 1/2.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Better to get it right than to deliver bad product.

I kinda laughed back when Apple switched to Intel as I had this thought that Intel would catch Apples illness. Lets face it every chip manufacture that has ever dealt with Apple ends up falling flat on its face, no reason for intel to be immune. I guess this means it is time to invest in some AMD stock LMAO ;) http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Well on the serious side lets just hope the get it fixed in a reasonable amount of time. My new MBP is the best PC I've ever owned, portable or desk top. So while I'm sure Intel's latest and greatest will make for an even faster machine that is even better on battery, I can't say I will be jumping to get the current machine updated. In fact I have this great fear that Apple will try to adopt to many concepts from AIR and make the MBP into a piece of junk.

In any event where this really hurts is in the Mini line up. That is where an update is sorely needed.

Dave

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
It's quite common for Apple to quietly intro an update to something existing before a big show if there'll be a lot to show at the keynote... I'm betting we'll see the apple homepage change with a product update shortly before WWDC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.