Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I wonder if this will end up with Apple announcing new laptops in June or so but not shipping for a few weeks later? They need to at least announce something unless they want to completely miss out on back to school purchases.

The mini will probably get the GMA X3100 graphics and stay with the Santa Rosa chipset to differentiate it from the new Macbooks etc.

Differentiate? You don't think there's enough differentiation from one being a laptop and one a desktop?

The mini should get the latest and greatest, there's no reason for it to be so far behind the times. Of course if they dumped that case design and went to actual desktop components that would make it WAY easier to be competitive.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Bad news for those who put off purchases on the hopes of an earlier release.

I've held the position on these boards numerous times that Apple wasn't going to release new MacBook Pro models with Montevina chips at WWDC.

Now we know for sure and those who have been waiting are going to wish they didn't wait so long.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I wonder if this will end up with Apple announcing new laptops in June or so but not shipping for a few weeks later? They need to at least announce something unless they want to completely miss out on back to school purchases.

Every year, Apple misses the BTS crowd with any new product.
Opting, instead, to clear inventory & then announce new stuff once school's back in session.

Not the way I'd like them to go about things, but at last check seems to be working for them just fine.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
The mini should get the latest and greatest, there's no reason for it to be so far behind the times. Of course if they dumped that case design and went to actual desktop components that would make it WAY easier to be competitive.

Yeah, but nevermind logic... :rolleyes:

-Clive

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
Makes me happy I bit the bullet and bought my MBP in Feb.

Truth of the matter, these MBs are more than enough for email and browsing these days. I have the latest rev with 4mb and it's sweet. Couldn't ask for more. Well, maybe an LED screen. Try using a Powerbook G4 - we've come a long way.

Though I am curious to see what Apple has up it's sleeve for the next redesign. I think the MBPs are overdue for one now.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Yeah, an encouraging sign here, not.

Intel's continual problems with their integrated graphics continue. This is the one area Intel keep on messing up and offering substandard hardware. Maybe they're all concentrating on Larrabee (forthcoming 80 core x86 graphics chip) but it might just be yet more driver problems from their slow underperforming driver team. Maybe this would just affect Windows...

This is actually good news. Better chance of new gpu's coming out from nvidia or that other company that used to be really good but now is not so good at producing graphics cards.

This may be a good thing. I really hope Intel has more problems with them, so maybe Apple would get sick of it and start using low-end discrete GPUs. Although Im sure it's convenient cost-wise and it lowers part count, I think it is terrible that Apple uses integrated graphics in the Macbook. *ANYTHING* is better than the nonsense that Intel makes. For god sakes, Intel's integrate chip just recently started supporting shaders in hardware. There are smartphone GPUs more advanced than the crap that gets tossed into the Macbook.
It really pisses me off knowing that they get away with that, especially in a seemingly "premium" laptop. Macbook customers deserve better. Hopefully also, Intel develops something like nVidia's "HybridPower" which allows nVidia motherboards to have both low-power integrated graphics AND a discrete GPU that it turns on when necessary. This gives you both high-performance graphics AND great battery life when you are just doing simple tasks. This would also be perfect for the Macbook Pro. Even in a desktop environment, why waste the heat and energy to power a monster nVidia 8-series card when you don't need it turned on.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
..................... This gives you both high-performance graphics AND low battery life when you are just doing simple tasks. This would also be perfect for the Macbook Pro. .........................

why would i want low battery life?

anyway, integrated graphics is the future for macbooks imho. and soon GPU's will be integrated into the cpu. then we have integrated gpu's forever....for better or worse...

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Ah screw this, I put some effort into waiting for early June, and now it's gonna be August... depressing.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This still falls within the July-September estimates, but it doesn't look promising for WWDC. Maybe Apple will start preorders after the Keynote and just ship a little later.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
The longer my MacBook is of the current generation, the happier I feel.:cool:

DI-TTTTTOOOOOOOO! :)

About the possible mini update. Lets face it, the mini serves its purpose, and apples. If they upgrade it, theyll FOR SURE lose sales on the MacPro. The mini can serve as a home theater setup now, and does everything that people looking to spend 600$ need.

I like fast sure, but the mini doesnt need it from apples point of view. If the mini gets ahuge upgrade ever, guess what? thats my next purchase! If not, ill keep swapping MBPs, a likely path.

the biggest thing about the montevina update, a possible case re-design (not necessarily needed, but overdue). Other than that, MV is just another performance boost, big whoop.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
why would i want low battery life?

anyway, integrated graphics is the future for macbooks imho. and soon GPU's will be integrated into the cpu. then we have integrated gpu's forever....for better or worse...

well obviously that was meant to say "good" battery life, not "low". And it's not necessarily that GPUs built into the motherboard and chipset HAVE to be crappy, it just so happens that they have been in the past. Even AMD's Integrated graphics are 5X better than Intel's best. Unfortunately, The GPU core used in Intel's CPU+GPU project will probably be nothing to write home about, at least for the first generation or two. Hopefully, they will either license better GPU technology (unlikely) or at least use some of the tech from their Larabee project in future integrated GPUs. As more and more GPGPU software projects come online, both Apple and Intel are going to need to take graphics more seriously..

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I read about this on Friday, but I could not tell if it was the CPUs themselves or the WiFi chipset that was causing the FCC grief.

To my knowledge, Apple does not use the Intel WiFi chipset so if Intel can still ship the Northbridge and CPUs, we could still see new MBPs at WWDC.

If the delay is until July 14th, that is too late for me since that means likely August/September for a joint MBP/MB rollout and I need my new MBP by early July.

So I'll see if anything is announced at WWDC and if not, I'll order the current 15".

thinkband

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
You guyz, this doesn't add up for me.

People do not think a redesign is happening this year right?

WWDC was hope for something big, and now it looks like nothing is happening. Our best chance for a speed bump is in late July/Septermber imho. But it seems like this is the only thing happening, similar to what happened with SR. Is it worth waiting two months for?

I am on the same page as all of you. My college starts September 25. It isn't reasonable to think that I could wait any longer than that. Though it seems reasonable an update will occur between now and then, no one knows for sure, and I am going to feel awfully stupid if I wait till the 25th and then buy the current laptop.

Honestly, the macbook is very nice as well as the mbp. Worse case scenario, you buy a macbook and then sell it on ebay once a new one comes out, or better yet, sell once Nahelm is out with a redesign. You won't lose too much money, and you'll be a lot happier.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
DI-TTTTTOOOOOOOO! :)
About the possible mini update. Lets face it, the mini serves its purpose, and apples. If they upgrade it, theyll FOR SURE lose sales on the MacPro.

That's doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Customers in the market for Mac Pro capabilties would not likely just jump to purchasing a Mac Mini no matter what Apple updates it with. Most likely, it would just be the newer Intel platform and processors anyways.

I like fast sure, but the mini doesnt need it from apples point of view. If the mini gets a huge upgrade ever, guess what? thats my next purchase! If not, ill keep swapping MBPs, a likely path.

the biggest thing about the montevina update, a possible case re-design (not necessarily needed, but overdue). Other than that, MV is just another performance boost, big whoop.

Why would you switch from a Macbook Pro to a Mac Mini, but only if it was upgraded? They fulfill completely different needs. And if you have the need for a Mac Mini, why would you not buy the current one, as any update to it isn't likely to bring anything revolutionary from a performance perspective?

TechGirl

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Yep so I am getting a new macbook pro today from the apple store, lol.

It made sense to wait for WWDC since the time of a refresh and the chip were around the same time, but nothing will happen at WWDC. They are not going to make a serious case revision a 'silent update,' therefore, we are very likely to see at most a bump in Sep/Oct and nothing until January+.

Good thing for us college students who were waiting and waiting for this crazy case redesign, because now we can get our computers sooner and play around with them during the summer.

Just a tip, no need in waiting another 2+ months for a speed upgrade, unless you're paranoid about having the fastest apple laptop on the market at the time.

Heya, I just ordered my refurb mbp from the apple store myself today :) I didn't want to wait anymore! Feels good :D

g00k

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
suck it intel...
i waited so long and now this.
i not that kind of person who always wants and needs the latest... but i am damn curious how the "new" mbp would be look like... now i dont know what to do
will the be an update till early july? i can just wait till july... so shall i buy one now or wait?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
btw will we even see a redesign?

Probably, but honestly all I really wanted was a magnetic latch. My current iMac 2.4GHz is plenty fast for all I do at the moment, so I expect the current MBP will be plenty fine, as well and I'll just live with the mechanical latch.

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
idk what im waiting for. i have to wait until the end of june anyways. its a graduation gift. waiting for gift cards to apple. but i have never owned a mac before.. so im just waitng to see if theres a new design coming out for the macbook. if they shows us one and say its coming out in july, il wait if it seems worth it. if it comes out augest+, then i will get the current macbook. Im going away end of Aug and do not want to get it a week before. i want a month to get use to it and get comfortable with it. i hope that if there is a update, there arent bugs, i might have to wait a few weeks after so apple can fix the little things.. but from what i hear, i want the cracking to be fixed and a better screen.

28monkeys

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
Bangkok, Thailand
suck it intel...
i waited so long and now this.
i not that kind of person who always wants and needs the latest... but i am damn curious how the "new" mbp would be look like... now i dont know what to do
will the be an update till early july? i can just wait till july... so shall i buy one now or wait?

Wait. Cos you aren't the only one waiting...:eek:

g00k

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
well i guess i will wait for computex and wwdc and see what news we will hear...
and if they indicate an update i wait if not i buy. so 2-3 to go.
as much as i would have a new mbp in a new case... there may so much problems occur... first gen new case
maybe its better to buy the bug free one

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
It's quite common for Apple to quietly intro an update to something existing before a big show if there'll be a lot to show at the keynote... I'm betting we'll see the apple homepage change with a product update shortly before WWDC.

don't you think the macbooks deserve their own event?

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
That's doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Customers in the market for Mac Pro capabilties would not likely just jump to purchasing a Mac Mini no matter what Apple updates it with. Most likely, it would just be the newer Intel platform and processors anyways.

Why would you switch from a Macbook Pro to a Mac Mini, but only if it was upgraded? They fulfill completely different needs. And if you have the need for a Mac Mini, why would you not buy the current one, as any update to it isn't likely to bring anything revolutionary from a performance perspective?

I beg to differ. If the mini came with 1/2 or even 2/3 the processing power alone that the MacPro has for 1/3 the price, id be much more inclined to consider it from a professional standpoint. If I need the gfx, then its not even a choice. Say the mini came with even a 2400pro, which it probably never will, itd be even more considerable for professionals that really dont need TOP NOTCH. Those people DO EXIST, but thats a whole other topic entirely.

I never said I would switch FROM a MBP to a mini, i would just add the mini to the arsenal, and keep the current MBP. Otherwise, sell the current MBP, for the next power boost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.