Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past couple of days, users have been digging through the latest iPhone OS 3.0 beta for signs of new features, and World of Apple and AppleInsider have put together some nice screenshot galleries illustrating a number of the findings.

World of Apple's gallery shows a number of features primarily related to music and podcast functionality, including several notable ones:

- Variable scrubbing speed during iPod playback. Provides users with four options to allow them to fine tune navigation within a track.
- Variable playback speed for podcasts. Options include 1/2x, 1x, and 2x speeds.
- Single-tap jump back for podcasts. Tap a single icon to rewind podcast playback by 30 seconds.
- Additional data for podcasts saved on iPhone. Saved podcasts now display run time, time left, and publication date.

123408-variable_scrubbing_300.png

Screenshot demonstrating variable scrubbing speed (World of Apple)

AppleInsider highlights several other changes observed in the iPhone 3.0 beta:

- Ability to close all open Safari windows. Previously there was no ability to close the last remaining Safari window, but a red "x" is now functional in the page navigation, allowing users to close the final window, replacing it with a blank page.
- Battery percentage indicators. Allows users to view their remaining battery life as a percentage rather than just as an icon.
- Push notifications preferences. Allows users to toggle whether they want to allow push notifications as sounds, alerts, and/or badges.
- Expanded Data Detectors. Increased ability to automatically detect text such as e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and addresses and activate appropriate actions such as initiating a phone call or adding info to the Address Book when the items are touched.

123408-notes_data_detector_500.png

Screenshots demonstrating Data Detectors in Notes application (AppleInsider)

Article Link: iPhone 3.0 Beta Galleries Illustrate New Features

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
A lot of these things were there last time. Scrubbing and the 30 sec jump back were definitely there for audiobooks.

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
Does anyone know if there is any code in reference to the Nike+ sensor being built into the next iPhone (a-la the Touch)?

Is there a way someone can check?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I like the close all windows in Safari... :)

Me too, for some reason that bothers my that i can't close all of them right now, but it makes me happy to see that they are changing that option.

I am also pleased to see the info about the Push notification options. It will be nice to customize the apps with specific notification option

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Good for the percentage on the battery icon indicator. Maybe then they can remove the annoying 10% remaining popup that interrupts me while I am trying to work...

Ross123

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Battery life indication

I really like the idea of the battery life being given in a %, much more useful than looking at a battery icon. :D

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
You pocket pc plays podcast and your itunes library seamlessly? your pocked pc can scroll with different speeds, and recognize email addresses? huh.

Apple loyalists will always come under the scrutiny of others, even if the scrutiny has no backing. It comes with the territory of anything great unfortunately. :cool:

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
This is awesome, I seriously sent them feedback like the first week after the first iPhone 2G came out saying that in notes you should be able to click on the numbers and email addresses since that's where you write them most of the time when someone gives them to you!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Holy crap. I posted about the Safari window thing in the 100 New Features thread and nobody cared. Now all of a sudden it's some wild hidden feature? There's a TON of little features in 3.0... geeze.

20. SAFARI:
NF#31 CLOSE ALL OPEN WEB PAGES
now provides a blank page and bookmarks auto open when you reopen the app. (Posted by TheSpaz)

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
This makes me so happy that my lunch hour is in 3 minutes and im going to get my 3g.

That battery percentage is pretty cool and handy.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Holy crap. I posted about the Safari window thing in the 100 New Features thread and nobody cared. Now all of a sudden it's some wild hidden feature? There's a TON of little features in 3.0... geeze.

Don't get your panties in a bundle..its easier to share the new features on the front page i think versus inside the forums. But by all means we can give you all the credit for that finding if that makes you happy:D

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
Good to know whether the features were there previously or not, always good to get more knowledge on one site instead of scouring for the information.
maybe more hidden little gems will be spotted as time goes forward

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.