Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MXChristian11

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
Can somebody please tell me to how to get the "notifications" and "carrier" settings in the settings app. I am updated to the current beta 3.

Anyone else have this on their's, or do you have to tweek the file kinda like how we had to do for tethering/mms, etc. in the first builds?

Attachments

• iphone-090417-3.png
    iphone-090417-3.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 684

darko00

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
You tube changes as well!

You Tube app has been altered in the new 3.0... Now you can sign in to your account, make playlists, view subscriptions, and my personal favorite... you can view comments of the videos you watch afterwards. Before, after you finish watching the video it just gave you some more info on it and related videos. Now there are two tabs, one for info and other one for related videos. Its very cool!

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
And there are still people comparing the iPhone with the rest...even without any hardware updates, Apple is so much above its competitors that it's just embarassing to talk about them... :rolleyes: GO APPLE!

You mean even the Palm Pre which is coming to save the mobile phone industry? :eek:

Insatiable

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
Does someone want to explain what scrubbing is? Sehr Danke!

Scrubbing is the act of live audio (or video) playback while rewinding or fast forwarding by dragging the cursor or in this case, your finger). The audio never stops, it just speeds up or slows down depending on the speed and position of the cursor.

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
Percentage has been included since at least 2.2.1, I use it all the time since the bar is so useless. Just press the battery bar and it comes up.

I know that's how it's done for jaibroken. But is that available for non jailbroken?

Because it doesn't seem to work, and I can find a setting for it.

TGFits

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
I know that's how it's done for jaibroken. But is that available for non jailbroken?

:D My phone used to be jailbroke. After I restored it to legit Apple, the battery % still was working. I had to re-jailbreak it, dis-able the batter percentage in Big Boss then restore. I can no longer display percentage.

I also have the latest beta 3 software and cannot find the setting to enable battery percentage. I have seen screeenshots (settings/general/usage) showing a battery percentage slider. I don't have this in my (setting/general/usage) settings.

Anyone know how to enable this in the new beta?

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Percentage has been included since at least 2.2.1, I use it all the time since the bar is so useless. Just press the battery bar and it comes up.

I was keep doing this for last 30 min; I think I have left hole in there now:eek:
Honestly, I don't see any option to active it.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005

You have to modify com.apple.springboard.plist and add the string
Code:
SBShowBatteryPercentage
with a boolean of yes or something. It's very easy to do. I haven't done it in a long time though.

Edit: I found this. This adds a toggle switch in your usage section. I guess this is where BoyGeniusReport got this from.

Enable Battery Percentage
1. SSH into your iphone
2. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/
3. Download the file M68AP.plist
4. Open the file using a text editor or a plist editor
5. Add a Boolean value under the capabilities dictionary
6. Boolean Key = gas-gauge-battery / Boolean Value = true
7. Save and upload the file to the same directory that it was originally in
8. Go onto the iPhone and respring
9. Now go to the application
Settings -> General -> Usage and there will be a Battery Percentage toggle and you can use it to enable battery percentage next to battery icon in top-right corner.

I can't wait to see AppStore apps that add this (just like emoji).... Hehe.

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
:D My phone used to be jailbroke. After I restored it to legit Apple, the battery % still was working. I had to re-jailbreak it, dis-able the batter percentage in Big Boss then restore. I can no longer display percentage.

I also have the latest beta 3 software and cannot find the setting to enable battery percentage. I have seen screeenshots (settings/general/usage) showing a battery percentage slider. I don't have this in my (setting/general/usage) settings.

Yes this is exactly what I have done. And it gets left over.

I think these people saying "percentage is on 3.0" are just jailbroken people with the percentage being left over and they don't understand that's what happened. Or editing something to make it work.

But until I am told a way to switch a setting and get it working, I won't believe it. (and I'd be glad to be wrong)

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
I'm glad to see increased use of data detectors in this version of the OS. With all the computing power available today I would have expected a greater capability to recognize and process data from today's computers. In many respects, operating systems today while technically more advanced aren't much smarter than they were almost 25 years ago when they began to emerge in the mainstream. The Newton promisingly possessed some of these abilities. It was also disappointing that many of the advances that were expected to emerge from objected oriented OS's failed to do so. Operating systems need a bump in IQ and it makes sense that portable devices should lead the way in this area.

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Crap form factor, no comparable app store, crap OS, and a stylus as well. Let's not leave that out.

To be fair, if responsiveness is a determining item in the crap-factor of a phone's OS then the iPhone's OS gets closer to crap with each update.
Especially lately. My iPhone has been VERY laggy lately. Even AFTER soft resetting & hard resetting.

SOME of the problems I've experienced:
- Calendar & SMS have been often laggy.
- Haven't had a day in the past year & a half when the keyboard wasn't lagging during at least half of it's use.
- Screen unresponsive/3+second lag at passcode screen
- Safari, notes, app-store, crash after being unresponsive (daily occurrence)
- If the wifi radio has trouble connecting, the whole phone lags/hangs.
- Often unresponsive sleep-button (at which point frustration sets in and pressing it multiple times seems to 'buffer' the button-presses. This in tern causes the phone to quickly flash between 'slide screen' & sleep-mode after it 'catches up'. (When I'm not frustrated with it, this can kinda be interesting...to put it down and watch it act almost like a strobe-light while sitting there on the desk.)
- The most annoying one? At least twice in the past year the phone crashed DURING a call. The call will suddenly go silent, and then I look at the screen and it's rebooting with the Apple logo displayed like it's saying "I'm :apple:. I crash. Tee hee! Stop paying attention to your call and pay attention to ME!".:mad:

I'm just saying, when it occasionally works I love it, but saying other phone OS's are crappy isn't saying much when our OS is getting a bit bloated. :-\
If this is the 'Jesus-Phone' then mine is in a constant state of crucifixion & faux/semi resurrection.

(NOTE: Never jail-broken, never hacked, Just 100% pure apple OS.)

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Can somebody please tell me to how to get the "notifications" and "carrier" settings in the settings app. I am updated to the current beta 3.

Anyone else have this on their's, or do you have to tweek the file kinda like how we had to do for tethering/mms, etc. in the first builds?

I don't have those menus either. Does anyone know how to enable them? Also how do you enable the battery percentage??

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
To be fair, if responsiveness is a determining item in the crap-factor of a phone's OS then the iPhone's OS gets closer to crap with each update.
Especially lately. My iPhone has been VERY laggy lately. Even AFTER soft resetting & hard resetting.

- Haven't had a day in the past year & a half when the keyboard wasn't lagging during at least half of it's use.
- Often unresponsive sleep-button (at which point frustration sets in and pressing it multiple times seems to 'buffer' the button-presses. This in tern causes the phone to quickly flash between 'slide screen' & sleep-mode after it 'catches up'. (When I'm not frustrated with it, this can kinda be interesting...to put it down and watch it act almost like a strobe-light while sitting there on the desk.)
- The most annoying one? At least twice in the past year the phone crashed DURING a call. The call will suddenly go silent, and then I look at the screen and it's rebooting with the Apple logo displayed like it's saying "I'm :apple:. I crash. Tee hee! Stop paying attention to your call and pay attention to ME!".:mad:

I'm just saying, when it occasionally works I love it, but saying other phone OS's are crappy isn't saying much when our OS is getting a bit bloated. :-\
If this is the 'Jesus-Phone' then mine is in a constant state of crucifixion & faux/semi resurrection.

Agreed with the lag in almost everything with the keyboard, and especially notes. Opening notes, then clicking add takes at least 4 - 5 clicks just to get a new note to open. A bit frustrating

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
You have to modify com.apple.springboard.plist and add the string
Code:
SBShowBatteryPercentage
with a boolean of yes or something. It's very easy to do. I haven't done it in a long time though.

Edit: I found this. This adds a toggle switch in your usage section. I guess this is where BoyGeniusReport got this from.

Enable Battery Percentage
1. SSH into your iphone
2. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/
3. Download the file M68AP.plist
4. Open the file using a text editor or a plist editor
5. Add a Boolean value under the capabilities dictionary
6. Boolean Key = gas-gauge-battery / Boolean Value = true
7. Save and upload the file to the same directory that it was originally in
8. Go onto the iPhone and respring
9. Now go to the application
Settings -> General -> Usage and there will be a Battery Percentage toggle and you can use it to enable battery percentage next to battery icon in top-right corner.

I can't wait to see AppStore apps that add this (just like emoji).... Hehe.

Ok thank you. So you have to edit stuff. It's not available for people who just download the beta build 3. That will answer a lot of peoples questions.

TGFits

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
Yes this is exactly what I have done. And it gets left over.

I think these people saying "percentage is on 3.0" are just jailbroken people with the percentage being left over and they don't understand that's what happened. Or editing something to make it work.

But until I am told a way to switch a setting and get it working, I won't believe it. (and I'd be glad to be wrong)

Check out this link and screenshot. Looks like enable battery percentage is in 3.0 beta somewhere, just not active for us yet!:D

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/04/07/exclusive-apple-iphone-30-screenshots-leak-out/

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008

Oh, maybe thats it. I was jailbroken, then restored. I've been told that "wipes it" but I guess it doesn't actually.

h.21

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
This is the most inaccurate, poorly researched piece of garbage I have ever seen on this site. Over 50% of the features listed as new in Beta 3 were there since the 1st beta.

edit:

Let me respectfully ask, what the hell is wrong with you? Do you remember agreeing to an NDA that said you wouldn't spread non-publicly available information? Do you realize that is exactly what you are doing?

Let me ask you another question. Do you enjoy lawsuits?

People like this are what is going to put an end to the prerelease software parade from Apple. Why don't you go join ADC and leak 10A314 to the torrent sites, too?

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
I like the close all windows in Safari... :)
I'd love to see Apple implement some sort of scripting to the iPhone, as in multi-touch gesture-based scripting.

I imagine how cool it would be if you could just draw an A on your screen and the phone automatically dials Andy (or whomever you designate). Or you draw an R and the iphone automatically launches Yelp and calls up the 25 nearest restaurants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.