Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

133234-best_buy_invisibleshield_4fix.jpg

Engadget reports that Best Buy is apparently giving away free kits of antenna-shielding strips, known as "invisibleSHIELD 4FIX" from ZAGG, to any iPhone 4 user interested in receiving the product. The offer also includes installation of the seven "invisible" adhesive strips included in the kit that cover only the surface of the stainless steel band around the edge of the iPhone 4 that serves as the device's antennas.
Based on a number of tips that we've received, we're getting the impression that the yellow-tagged retailer could be handing out (and installing) completely free side coverings for any iPhone 4 owner that waltzes into a store, presumably as a proactive measure to fend off returns or to upsell consumers on an entire invisibleSHIELD / separate case.
The invisibleSHIELD 4FIX kit is normally priced at $9.99, and Best Buy's offer provides an alternative to Apple's free iPhone 4 bumper and case program, one that will allow users to receive the benefits of the antenna fix while retaining the appearance of a "naked" iPhone.

Article Link: Best Buy Offering Free InvisibleSHIELD Antenna Strips for iPhone 4 Owners

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Best Buy fixing the iPhone 4 with sticky tape - nice touch. What a PR disaster this must be!

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
Has anyone confirmed this at local stores?

I'm calling one later today to find out. Will post here with details.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Thats nice of BB i wonder how this will affect free bumper sales if at all. Interested to see how this turns out

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Best Buy fixing the iPhone 4 with sticky tape - nice touch. What a PR disaster this must be!

Lol.

Thinking BB relies on upsells on the iPhone to make any real money on it. This free case program has got to be cutting into their profits.

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Definitely going with one to put under my bumper. there's some weird scratch marks on the sides where the bumper must've rubbed the brushed finish off and made it look smoot 0_o? oh and FREE STUFF!!! anyone have any good personal reviews about the actual invisible shield for iP4?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
This seems odd on the part of Best Buy. Why call more attention to an issue that is really not an issue if you have a case or bumper?

Besides... who wants tape on their phone? These shields will last about 1 day before falling off. (My exaggerated opionion.)

I just don't get it. Silly move by Best Buy. Everyone wanting free stuff will show up. I guess they hope to just upsell you a better case????

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If adding some thin plastic eliminates the 'bridging' issue (if not general signal attenuation), it seems like a foregone conclusion that Apple would add some non-conductive coating to the band sooner or later.

But if something so subtle solves this particular problem, then I have no idea why Apple didn't add such a coating in the first place.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
This seems lame on the part of Best Buy. Why call more attention to an issue that is really not an issue if you have a case or bumper?

Besides... who wants tape on their phone? These shields will last about 1 day before falling off.

I just don't get it. Silly move by Best Buy.

I'm going with the notion that they've seen sales of cases fall off the cliff in light of the free case offerings from Apple. This is just a way to get more traffic in the door and hopefully move some other product at the same time.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I do NOT like the InvisiShields because they add a bunch of friction to the screen and interfere with multi-touch gestures etc. Not to mention they don't protect anything really, the glass doesn't scratch and it provides no security for dropping the phone or breaking the screen... BUT, this actually makes sense! Smart move invisi people haha. ;)

iPhoneONLY

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
I'll give it a try for free, but I'm not letting anyone touch my precious...I'll install myself. ;)

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Besides... who wants tape on their phone? These shields will last about 1 day before falling off. (My exaggerated opionion.)

Apparently you've never seen or used an InvisibleShield. It's not tape, and it adheres very nicely (durable AND almost invisible as the name suggests) to consumer electronics devices. Used it on my iPod touch and iPhones, great product.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I'm going with the notion that they've seen sales of cases fall off the cliff in light of the free case offerings from Apple. This is just a way to get more traffic in the door and hopefully move some other product at the same time.

You are probably right... just seems like a bad promo... generally, it's not good to try and exploit issues with a product - as much as we all know about it here and the details, most consumers just hear the iPhone4 has antenna issues and know nothing of the details. Plus it redundant to what Apple is offering for free. Again... I just don't get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.