Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaxMechaniK

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Wales, UK
This is a terrible promotion for an iPhone 4 stockist! All this does is bring attention to an apparent 'issue' with a product they have on sale. They should be more concerned about promoting the product for its 'positive' values, not this ongoing antenna craziness.

I'm not sure Apple are going to be too happy about this seeing as they are basically 'telling' customers that there is a problem with the iPhone 4.

I'm not going to argue about how stupid this antenna 'problem' is being shoved in everyone's faces as some commercial disaster, but honestly, this is an issue with many, many phones out there, no phone is perfect. This phone comes closest to being the most perfect mobile/cell phone ever, WITHOUT some damn sticky tape on it!!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I'm going with the notion that they've seen sales of cases fall off the cliff in light of the free case offerings from Apple. This is just a way to get more traffic in the door and hopefully move some other product at the same time.

Yeah. Any case maker who isn't in on the Apple freebie deal is screwed. You figure that you just lost ~3.5 to 4M potential customers for iP4 cases... and maybe more if Apple extends the offer.

Glaxx

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Illinois
I just called my local Best Buy store and spoke with the manager of the mobile department. He confirmed the internal documents and said that he knows it is coming to Best Buy. He could not verify if it was coming to the local store specifically or when it would be coming if it is coming. All he could say essentially is that he has the documents and has not received the kits yet.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Only if iPhone was purchased from BB, it's free, but $10 if not...at least that is what the best buy employee said on the phone.

Then Best Skins Ever is still a far better deal if you didn't buy your iPhone from BB. For 9.99, BSE gives you front, back and side protection.

teflonthedon

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Gimmick

:mad: This fix is a hoax. i experienced absolutely no change. the bars still dropped dramatically. I'll stick to my case.... WTH

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
but.... does it work? Does it help as much as a case does? My phone works great in the iFrogz case I have and all my reception issues at home were solved by the iFrogz case - is the thin invisible shield enough to have the same effect?

Even if not, I would get it just to protect the bands from the reported "scratching" the bumper might cause.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
This is a terrible promotion for an iPhone 4 stockist! All this does is bring attention to an apparent 'issue' with a product they have on sale. They should be more concerned about promoting the product for its 'positive' values, not this ongoing antenna craziness.

I'm not sure Apple are going to be too happy about this seeing as they are basically 'telling' customers that there is a problem with the iPhone 4.

I'm not going to argue about how stupid this antenna 'problem' is being shoved in everyone's faces as some commercial disaster, but honestly, this is an issue with many, many phones out there, no phone is perfect. This phone comes closest to being the most perfect mobile/cell phone ever, WITHOUT some damn sticky tape on it!!

If case you have not heard, Apple did a press conference and THEY are giving away free bumpers, so I think the issue of "telling" customers that there is a problem is already taken care of.

ryguy120

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Just ran up to my local Best Buy, and they gave me a 4FIX for free. They did not install it for me (no big deal), but did say that this is only for IPhone 4's that were purchased through Best Buy.

As far as this doing anything for the signal issue, it has done nothing for me. I am considering taking this off anyway. I really don't like the "rubbery" feel around the band. At least I didn't pay for it!

Allport1954

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
I just called the Best Buy Mobile (1st floor) at Mall of America. The guy confirmed the program is legit and the store already has installation kits in stock. He didn't state whether the program distinguishes between people who bought the ip4 at best buy vs. apple/att.

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
but.... does it work? Does it help as much as a case does? My phone works great in the iFrogz case I have and all my reception issues at home were solved by the iFrogz case - is the thin invisible shield enough to have the same effect?

Even if not, I would get it just to protect the bands from the reported "scratching" the bumper might cause.

Just did a little experiment. Bare phone in the "death grip" - drops from 4 bars to 1 bar sitting at my desk. Put scotch tape on the band - death gripped the phone, dropped me from 4 bars to 1 bar, same as if I have no tape on it at all. Put it in the iFrogz case, death gripped - drops from 4 bars to 3 bars and remains steady.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
interesting fix

Do you even need to go all around considering its only in a small area where the problem seems to be.

Either way nice and easy fix. :D

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
This is of no use.

Reports say, this will not fix the problem for the very few people who do have the problem. This will not protect your iP4 from being dropped, insane Android fans that spray you down with salt water in protest of your good taste or a space marmot invasion.

No word as to UV protection keeping the side of your iphone from getting a sunburn.

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Reports say, this will not fix the problem for the very few people who do have the problem. This will not protect your iP4 from being dropped, insane Android fans that spray you down with salt water in protest of your good taste or a space marmot invasion.

No word as to UV protection keeping the side of your iphone from getting a sunburn.

I've got aloe vera for sunburns but the determining factor is if i can leave my iPhone 4 and/or iPad out in the sun and not overheat them -_-

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Best Buy fixing the iPhone 4 with sticky tape - nice touch. What a PR disaster this must be!

Not so fast. BB being altruistic? I think not. More like BB luring unsuspecting bait. Trap them with the free side cover and then hard sell them with overpriced Zagg screen and back protectors.

pepitko

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Why didn't Apple cover the antenna in some clear-coat to reduce the effect right out of the box?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.