Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Apparently you've never seen or used an InvisibleShield. It's not tape, and it adheres very nicely (durable AND almost invisible as the name suggests) to consumer electronics devices. Used it on my iPod touch and iPhones, great product.

You are right... I've never used it, so I may be bring too critical... just seems like such a narrow strip in such a high-friction spot won't last long.

econoar

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
I received my side protectors from Zagg last night and it did absolutely nothing for my antenna issue. I noticed no improvement while doing both the death grip and just touching the antenna spot.

They also shipped me the wrong front cover...not a good first experience with Zag.. :mad:

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
My local Best Buy have them and she told me their free.
I will be getting mine alittle later!

Although I don't notice any signal lose while talking or browsing.

smoked

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
Apparently you've never seen or used an InvisibleShield. It's not tape, and it adheres very nicely (durable AND almost invisible as the name suggests) to consumer electronics devices. Used it on my iPod touch and iPhones, great product.

Had them and loved them on my iPhone 3GS's but did not like the way it looked on my iPhone 4 (interferes with display quality) or iPads. Plus my DryCase ruined it. :(

rlmccormick

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
No doubt they will either try to push a more expensive case or attempt to sell you a new warranty...if they offer one.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I received my side protectors from Zagg last night and it did absolutely nothing for my antenna issue. I noticed no improvement while doing both the death grip and just touching the antenna spot.

They also shipped me the wrong front cover...not a good first experience with Zag.. :mad:

FWIW I installed a similar product from Best Skins Ever (total body skin) and it did away with the issue of causing the signal to drop by simply touching the gap between antennae. I am surprised to hear the Zagg product wouldn't do the same.

I wouldn't expect it to solve the "death grip" issue though, as you are still physically blocking the antenna.

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
If adding some thin plastic eliminates the 'bridging' issue (if not general signal attenuation), it seems like a foregone conclusion that Apple would add some non-conductive coating to the band sooner or later.

But if something so subtle solves this particular problem, then I have no idea why Apple didn't add such a coating in the first place.

That's an interesting thought. Apple will need to get it just right: not to plastic-y, yet durable. My thought is that they'll slightly indent the antenna band section and fill it with black plastic (retaining that little "x marks the spot" line).

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I may enroll in the free bumper program.

I will put this on underneath to protect the metal from scratching. Which plenty of people have claimed happens because dirt gets behind there, or whatever.....

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Only if iPhone was purchased from BB....

Only if iPhone was purchased from BB, it's free, but $10 if not...at least that is what the best buy employee said on the phone.

dxevolution

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

baller1308 said:
Only if iPhone was purchased from BB, it's free, but $10 if not...at least that is what the best buy employee said on the phone.

I was told the same thing.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Sucks. Mine is on board.

Ok called another, larger store, and they're on board as well. Only that they won't receive their shipment probably till next week.

But very happy about this though, since my iPhone is naked. :)

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Those strips won't stay affixed to the phone for more than a few days under normal use. Those pieces are too thin to have the surface area for a good grip. Add a slightly sweaty palm and those things will be peeling off in short order.

I used to be a big proponent of Invisible Shields until I used them for a while. The edges of the decals attract dirt, pocket lint, etc which causes them to discolor. The surface of the IS is also too tacky. Therefore gestures are more difficult and it sticks to the cloth in your pocket so you can't remove your device easily.

They're giving them away free? Worth every penny I'd say. :D

reliantj

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
I'm actually a best buy employee and i've sent engadget an update on who is eligible. i've taken a photo of the eligibility. NOT EVERYONE IS ELIGIBLE.

recognize my update by the initials EJA when it pops up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.