Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I have had my rMB and my Core i7 13' MBPr side-by-side on my desk for the last couple of days to compare and see if I was going to keep my rMB or return it. For the way I use my computer, I can't see much of a noticeable difference in performance. Apps open slightly faster on the MBPr, but it's hardly noticeable. I'll take the noticeable portability difference any day when compared to the negligible (perceived) performance difference.

Those are my experiences, and everyone's are going to be different. I don't get caught up in benchmark scores, or measure the time (or bounces) it takes to open an app. I use a computer the way I use a computer. And given the way I use my computer, this thing is rock solid.

Lightweights aren't all bad. Cheap dates, for sure. hehe... ;-)

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Here's the thing, Joe:

I wouldn't be caught dead dragging around a MBP or a MBA on flights, at trade shows, in airports, at hotels. For all the reasons others praise those machines I condemn them. Processor speed we never use? Screen sizes that are too big? Batteries that are too heavy? Ports that increase depth? Keyboards that increase width? Pathetic. Awful. Welcome to 1999.

BJ

Er - so how did you live with yourself between 1999 and April 2015 when the rMB came out? Or did I miss a smiley face in there somewhere? ;-)

While for me the rMB is somewhat of an improvement over the MBA, which I've carried in one form or another through airports and hotels and boardrooms without shame since it first came out many years ago, I know many fellow frequent travelers that still prefer a MBA or rMBP for various perfectly good reasons.

Reactions: ColdShadow

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I said this before the Retina Macbook is the WORST laptop Apple ever made.there is no argue,it's all about looks and style,but it terms of performance and function it sucks big time.
slow,under-powered,and extremely compromised.

And you know this from personal experience? I'm using my rMB the same exact way I used the rMBP. No performance drop for me.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Clearly your experience is limited with Apple laptops. There have been FAR worse. Don't get me wrong, the rMB leaves much to be desired, but it's definitely far from the worst. Your comments indicate you don't know the history of Apple laptops very well. They've had some pretty nasty blunders.
how can you kniw that my experience is "clearly" limited to Apple? until 4 years ago I was mainly a Windows user and I owned at least 6 different windows laptops from different manufacturers from budget to high end,also owned/worked with various Apple models,so I guess I have a pretty good knowledge to judge this one too.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I've never owned a MBA and can't say if it's slower or weaker, but I can tell you that I have zero compromise coming from a MacBook Pro. This computer is awesome, plain and simple. Is it for you? Doesn't seem like it. But to make such a generalization is a bit inappropriate. I could argue that $1400 for a MBA is a complete waste of money, but each person has their own needs.
How is MBA a complete waste of money,it's only short comming is the non retina screen it has all other boxes ticked : it has the power,exceptionally great battery life,great build,excellent design and form factor...the Retina Macbook only has the external design,form factor and retina screen boxes ticked..it lacks functionality (lack of ports),lacks power (weak and slow CPU) and inferior batter life.
Don't forget MBA has the highest customer satisfaction rating among any Apple computer,whereas the Retina Macbook appears to have many complaints,dissatisfactions..not even close to be as successful as the MBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.