Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which storage capacity for Macbook Air?

• 128gb

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • 256gb

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • 512gb

Votes: 16 12.7%

• Total voters

PuckDaddy

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
why don't people just supplement the onboard SSD with a high capacity SDXC card ?

PuckDaddy

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
well, i can see not wanting to wag more peripherals around, but an SD card slips right in

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
why don't people just supplement the onboard SSD with a high capacity SDXC card ?

That's what I did, until it broke and I lost all the data on it. You would need to use one of the special adapters that puts the smaller SD card fully inside. If I could go back, I would have just gotten the 256 GB upgrade. Plus, that will be much faster than any SD card.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have a mid 2011 MBA with 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD. That was the maximum available at the time. If I was buying today, no question that I would get 8GB RAM and the 512 GB SSD. Unless you really can't afford it, max everything out - nobody ever complains "I have too much disk space" around here. :D

Who knows about the upgradeability of the SSD in the new machines. But I looked into in for the 2011 and 2012 machines, and swapping the SSD yourself was a rather expensive way to go (as opposed to just buying the size you want originally). But I suppose it could be offset if you can sell the old SSD to somebody. That would be more trouble than I'd want to go through personally, but others may feel differently.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
I have a mid 2011 MBA with 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD. That was the maximum available at the time. If I was buying today, no question that I would get 8GB RAM and the 512 GB SSD. Unless you really can't afford it, max everything out - nobody ever complains "I have too much disk space" around here. :D

Who knows about the upgradeability of the SSD in the new machines. But I looked into in for the 2011 and 2012 machines, and swapping the SSD yourself was a rather expensive way to go (as opposed to just buying the size you want originally). But I suppose it could be offset if you can sell the old SSD to somebody. That would be more trouble than I'd want to go through personally, but others may feel differently.

Do you have i7 or i5? what do you recommend for the 2013 ones? I've ordered mine maxed out but having second thoughts on battery life with i7 vs i5

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I was fully intending to buy the 128gb version and use an external for supplemental storage, but didn't expect Apple to lower the 128gb to $999 and offer a more affordable 256gb option than before. Anyone going to go for the 256gb now, instead of 128gb? or still stick to 128gb?
I would say buy the largest in terms of SSD space and RAM that you can afford. You'd rather have extra capacity than not have enough. 128gb just really isn't enough "disk" space these days, at least I don't think so.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Do you have i7 or i5? what do you recommend for the 2013 ones? I've ordered mine maxed out but having second thoughts on battery life with i7 vs i5
They have the same ower draw and battery life should be very similar. If you can, I would go for the i7, so you made the right choice. :)

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Lemme guess, you had no second thoughts until you read some threads on here?

Ignore the technical navel gazers and stay with what you ordered.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Lemme guess, you had no second thoughts until you read some threads on here?

Ignore the technical navel gazers and stay with what you ordered.

Actually I was reading the Apple tech specs page for the MBA, if you check on the small print about battery life you will see that "All tests were performed on i5 processors" for 11' and 13'

If any hit in battery life, how much I'll suffer, one hour less? 20% less? I know nobody knows yet, I'll love for Anandtech to have the review up asap, order still processing and I could change now instead of receive the laptop, ship it back, refund, re-purchase, etc etc.

lv4q

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
I've ordered the same one i7/8GB/512GB and it will be my main working machine together with a thunderbolt 27' but I'm having second thoughts now as all the 9 hours battery tests were performed with the i5 processor, I hope I do not get slower battery life with i7 or I'll have to exchange it.

The power usage of the i5 compared to the i7 is practically the same. #noregrets

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
I would say buy the largest in terms of SSD space and RAM that you can afford. You'd rather have extra capacity than not have enough. 128gb just really isn't enough "disk" space these days, at least I don't think so.

Parkinson's Law (sorta) says whatever size storage you have, your work habits will eventually fill it up. I could live with 128gb by offloading lesser-used stuff more often, but I'd rather not.

256gb allows me to keep a Windows boot partition, a Linux VM, music, documents, some movies and all the apps of course. I have to offload some photos and home movies to a SAN.

512gb would not change this behavior, except that I'd have to offload less often.

I dunno, everybody has a different use-case for their equipment. But if you have a lot of movies, especially HD home video or AV collection, 512 is not significantly larger then 256. You're going to need multiple Terabytes eventually.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

I have the i5, but as I stated, it's a 2011 model. Very pleased with the battery though, I have gone through several 12 hour days of work on a single charge just using simple conservation techniques like turning down the brightness and closing the lid if not in use.

Once I tried letting it run with full screen brightness, several programs open and a movie running in iTunes the whole time. I got around 5 hours IIRC. That's a whole lot better than my 2008 15" MBP. I would be lucky to get half that, even when it was new.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Actually I was reading the Apple tech specs page for the MBA, if you check on the small print about battery life you will see that "All tests were performed on i5 processors" for 11' and 13'

If any hit in battery life, how much I'll suffer, one hour less? 20% less? I know nobody knows yet, I'll love for Anandtech to have the review up asap, order still processing and I could change now instead of receive the laptop, ship it back, refund, re-purchase, etc etc.

Ditto on #noregrets.

There are so many variables with battery tests, obsessing over i5 vs i7 is a waste of time. Do yourself a favor and enjoy your MBA.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I was fully intending to buy the 128gb version and use an external for supplemental storage, but didn't expect Apple to lower the 128gb to $999 and offer a more affordable 256gb option than before. Anyone going to go for the 256gb now, instead of 128gb? or still stick to 128gb?

That really depends on YOU and how much stuff YOU intend to keep on there. ;)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I just asked support at the Online Apple Store via chat and they said the SSD drive is soldered...

We now have confirmation that this is not true: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/1...veals-smaller-ssd-increased-battery-capacity/

samsungssdmacbookair.jpg

goldhunter

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
I'd say go for the 256GB but i'm getting the 512 GB cuz i'm not satisfied with my current mac (250 GB).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The priority for upgrades on the 2013 Airs, in my opinion and based on Apple's prices, look like this:

1. Ram 4gb --> 8gb. Always.
2. SSD 128 --> 256. Much preferred.
3. CPU Core i5 --> i7. No.
4. SSD 128 --> 512. No way.

That is what I would use the extra money for. Once you pick your ram, you are stuck with it for the life of the notebook!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I just asked support at the Online Apple Store via chat and they said the SSD drive is soldered...

I don't know why people waste their time asking people that don't know or have been told to say that. Of course they will tell you that, even if it's not true.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
One thing I hate doing is rearranging or deleting stuff because of hard drive constraints. I won't consider another 128GB ever for as long as I live. 256GB is the bare minimum these days, IMO. Unless, of course, you don't do much with your computer.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
One thing I hate doing is rearranging or deleting stuff because of hard drive constraints. I won't consider another 128GB ever for as long as I live. 256GB is the bare minimum these days, IMO. Unless, of course, you don't do much with your computer.

I fall in that boat. I use an 8gb nexus phone and still have 5gb of free space. I had a 64gb air that was less than half full :) cloud storage runs my life. The money I would pay for extra SSD space I put towards cloud storage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.