Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which storage capacity for Macbook Air?

• 128gb

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • 256gb

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • 512gb

Votes: 16 12.7%

• Total voters

Danboard

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
Airdrie, Alberta Canada
New member here. I wanted to get a Macbook Air for my Mom and as a mobile system for myself. I was on the fence as well on what size of SSD I should get, but after reading through this thread (among others) I went for the 11" Macbook Air with the Core i5, 8GB Ram and the 256GB option. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

tourneur

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Amsterdam
I went for the 8GB RAM, but after some thought kept the 128 SSD. The MBA will mainly used at home, where it needs an external drive anyway for my music and movies, even if it had 256GB inside. Plus most of my other files and workflow is becoming more and more cloud based.

I'd love to have a bigger SSD of course but it's an economical decision to save 200 euro (266 USD). I'll just have to be a bit disciplined what I keep on the MBA but that's not bad thing in itself.

Last edited:

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Parkinson's Law (sorta) says whatever size storage you have, your work habits will eventually fill it up. I could live with 128gb by offloading lesser-used stuff more often,
I dunno, everybody has a different use-case for their equipment. But if you have a lot of movies, especially HD home video or AV collection, 512 is not significantly larger then 256. You're going to need multiple Terabytes eventually.

I agree, 128 GB is likely enough for non-technical people, or those with small music collections. But for most people on this site, 256 GB is probably a necessity. And if you need more, than likely you need terabytes more and not just 512 GB.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I've decided on the 128gb! I'll mostly be using it at home so the external is always available. Saving the money for accessories and other Apple products :) $200 can go towards my upgrade to the iPhone 5S!

hod

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland
I agree, 128 GB is likely enough for non-technical people, or those with small music collections. But for most people on this site, 256 GB is probably a necessity. And if you need more, than likely you need terabytes more and not just 512 GB.

512gb would suit me just fine, music & photos I access frequently. However, like you say for most 256gb more likely desirable as a minimum for people who are logged on here.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The macbook air 128 4gb is the only one that is cost effective. Once you add 256 gb sad and 8gb of ram your able to buy a refurbed rMBP with the same specs and a screen to die for.

Why do people always make the comparison between a new X and a refurb Y? It's not apples to apples (pardon the bad pun). The valid comparison is a refurb MBA (when it's available) to a refurb rMBP.

Also, the new air has far better battery life and graphics than the 13" pro - each of which is, by itself, more important to me than a sharper display.

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
I voted for 256GB. I would have done the 512 if you are shooting for Bootcamp, and carrying all your files/music/movies.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Now my question is, does that void warranty?

Well it won't void your warranty on the 2013 MBA, because nobody makes a replacement SSD yet. :D

Just saw this on OWC's blog. Very interesting... perhaps another good argument to get a 512GB SSD? http://blog.macsales.com/19008-perf...2013-macbook-air-ssds-are-the-same#more-19008

Performance Testing: Not All 2013 MacBook Air SSDs Are The Same

Wednesday, June 12th, 2013 | Author: OWC Michael and OWC Ron

We’ve received two models of the new MacBook Air yesterday and have started some of our initial testing on the machines.

The SSD form factor has indeed changed as Apple is the first to adopt and incorporate PCIe storage, but rest assured we are working hard and fast to get you the upgrades you’ve come to rely on from OWC. We’re on it!

In the meantime, we have noticed a vast difference in write speeds between the two SSD offerings that we’ve received so far. The 512GB Samsung SSD found in our 13-inch model offers roughly a 400MB/s increase in write speeds over the 128GB SanDisk/Marvell SSD as our 11-inch model was configured. It is our assumption that the write performance is mainly due to NAND densities and not brand performance in these cases, but we’ll know more once we can run the same tests on a few more models.

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
I believe there were similar tests done on the 256 vs 512 SSD on the rMBP as well. With the 512 being faster.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I voted 512. I know I'm in the minority, but I just happen to be in an odd spot where I need (okay, want...) my iTunes and iPhoto libraries directly on my MBA (and backed up on my Time Capsule). I have a separate, larger external drive for a bunch of movies that are not in the iTunes library.

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
I voted 512. I know I'm in the minority, but I just happen to be in an odd spot where I need (okay, want...) my iTunes and iPhoto libraries directly on my MBA (and backed up on my Time Capsule). I have a separate, larger external drive for a bunch of movies that are not in the iTunes library.

This opted me to go with 512 on my rMBP as well. So all my data gets backed up automatically. Much better solution than keeping it on my main rig (PC).

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
256gb

I have 128GB at the moment, but I would go for 256GB if I were to buy a new one now.

This is my first MBA, but it is not my only machine. Since first getting it two years ago I have found I use it far more than any of my other machines. It is so portable I take it with me most places I go. It is also so powerful and capable it can do everything I ask of a computer and more.

As my usage of this machine has increased so have the number of apps, docs, music, and data I want to have with me. My hard drive is not yet full, but at my current rate of expansion, it could become so very soon.

Go for the 256GB model. But the 512GB one is cavernous for a portable machine.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I understand this topic has been discussed to death, but just how hard is it to fit some sort of Windows VM solution in the 128GB drive? (I'm totally new to OS X though quite experienced technically)

200$ is an obscene premium for an extra 128GB in my opinion.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I understand this topic has been discussed to death, but just how hard is it to fit some sort of Windows VM solution in the 128GB drive? (I'm totally new to OS X though quite experienced technically)

200$ is an obscene premium for an extra 128GB in my opinion.

I asked the same question in a separate thread. Windows will take 20GB, so it will be tough with only 128GB.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Big storage does not have 1-1 relation with technicality. I think, it more common for music / video. VMware / Parallels users are also not always categorised as technical people.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Does anyone know if it is possible at a later time upgrade the SSD to a bigger size? If I believe so I thought OWC offered SSD's for the macbook airs.
Presuming the SSD isn't soldered on now, you would have to wait for OWC to get in SSDs that are compatible. The SSDs for the previous MBAs are not compatible with the 2013 model.

Since the user replacing the SSD voids the warranty and AppleCare, I'm not sure that buying a MBA and immediately upgrading the SSD is really cost effective.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Speaking of storage, anyone have a NAS set up at home? I'm looking into it rather than just buying an external drive for backup

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Well it won't void your warranty on the 2013 MBA, because nobody makes a replacement SSD yet. :D

Just saw this on OWC's blog. Very interesting... perhaps another good argument to get a 512GB SSD? http://blog.macsales.com/19008-perf...2013-macbook-air-ssds-are-the-same#more-19008

You realize that almost all 256 and 512gb ssd's benchmark almost twice as fast as a 128 right? Look at ANY SSD benchmark comparing even exact drives. The reason is that 128 is usually attained by using the same size chips as their 256gb drives but only using half the channels. 256 and larger are always (as long as they are using controllers and flash with like speed) faster than 128gb.

While I appreciate OWC, I sometimes think they make bigger deals out of things than they need to. Why would they even need to say "we are looking into this" when the reason is quite obvious.....

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Speaking of storage, anyone have a NAS set up at home? I'm looking into it rather than just buying an external drive for backup

Yes I used a Synology DS212J with two drives. It's wired to the network, not wireless and my macbook pro is on wired Ethernet most of the time.

Thunderbolt would be somewhat faster but probably not noticeable unless you do a ton of disk IO. But the NAS is always available, all the time at gigabit-ethernet speed. I would never go back to USB drives. There's a ton of info on these out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.