Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The_Interview_2014_poster.jpg
Just a couple days after Sony Pictures made much-anticipated and controversial comedy The Interview available on Xbox Video, Google Play, YouTube and SeeTheInterview.com, Apple has made the film available on iTunes ($5.99 for rent, $14.99 for purchase), issuing a short statement to Re/code.
We're pleased to offer "The Interview" for rental and purchase on the iTunes store.
On Tuesday, it was reported that Apple had declined the offer from Sony Pictures to host The Interview on iTunes. There was no official answer on why Apple declined, although it was assumed the Cupertino company didn't want to move on Sony's quick timetable. One possibility is that the company did not want to disturb the iTunes Connect holiday freeze, which ran from December 22 to December 29 this year.

Earlier this week, Sony Pictures announced it was bringing The Interview to select independent movie theaters and online video distributors a week after canceling the wide theatrical release of the film after large theater chains pulled out of the release due to violent threats from hackers.

The film has been subject to controversy as it depicts two entertainment journalists attempting to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un under the guidance of the CIA. The hacking of Sony Pictures and the movie's cancellation prompted widespread reaction, with U.S. President Barack Obama calling the latter move a "mistake".

The Interview is available on to rent on iTunes for $5.99 [Direct Link] and to purchase for $14.99 [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Makes 'The Interview' Available on iTunes

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
I think it was more about Apple wanting to do it on their terms, not Sony's. Makes sense to me.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Think they were just waiting to see if North Korea retaliated with more hacks. It would be funny if they did after they put it up on their store now, haha.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
tasteless and shoddy film, i would be disgraced to sell that rubbish

If you excluded tasteless and shoddy films, half of the iTunes store would be taken down but isn't that the point? The films that need the most protections are the offensive, questionable and yes, shoddy ones too.

akb

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
So, it wasn't about Apple staying "above that type of thing" after all?

It was about Apple not wanting to be a hacking target.

Now the storm has passed and everyone else has had it, the danger has passed.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If you excluded tasteless and shoddy films, half of the iTunes store would be taken down but isn't that the point? The films that need the most protections are the offensive, questionable and yes, shoddy ones too.

So where are all the attacks? This movie was shown on Christmas Day and as far as we know no movie theater was attacked. Nothing happened to any of the online services that streamed it. I think it's all a bunch of BS and a crap movie is getting way more attention than it deserves all in the name of "freedom of speech". Where's all the cynicism that people on the left are known for?

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Annnnnd welcome back to TheInterviewNews.com!

Why exactly do we need ANOTHER article about this movie? I think that it's time to move on...

That said, the prices are higher than usual. What gives?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
So, it wasn't about Apple staying "above that type of thing" after all?

It never was. It really is a simple thing, Apple was shut down for the week. Now, they're back from the shutdown, all stuff starts to arrive and the backlog will be caught up.

This movie isn't worth pulling the iTunes team from holidays just to push it on Christmas day. Screw that.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
and $5.99 is cheaper than paying $7-8+ per person at the movies.

does anyone think other big movies will do this in the future by allowing stream the day of the release?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Rent for $5.99, when their other movies are $3.99? I don't think so.

I'm sure you're just trying to make a point but I don't think it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.PNG
    IMG_0437.PNG
    795.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0438.PNG
    IMG_0438.PNG
    695.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0440.PNG
    IMG_0440.PNG
    544.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0441.PNG
    IMG_0441.PNG
    587 KB · Views: 167

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
tasteless and shoddy film, i would be disgraced to sell that rubbish

Haters gonna hate. Ain'ters gonna ain't.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Think they were just waiting to see if North Korea retaliated with more hacks. It would be funny if they did after they put it up on their store now, haha.

Nobody really knows that North Korea is behind anything. No proof. Most security experts think it is not very likely. Obviously the government-owned security experts think otherwise, but that's most likely because it would be too embarassing to admit that a couple of hackers could take down Sony the way they did.

And Sony security is notoriously bad, as was shown on more than one occassion before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.