Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Late to the party, Apple. Rented it last week on YouTube. Was a painful experience getting it to work on my TV; would have been much happier renting through iTunes. You snooze you lose. And they hate us cause they ain't us.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Where do you live that films are $7-$8 per person? Even in Eastern WA they are now $11/adult.

My local Theatre is $7.50 before 6pm, $9.50 after (additional $3 for 3D).

And all seats are Luxury seating that you can reserve in advance (all seats are numbered and assigned), they also have a bar with beer on tab or get a glass of wine, order speciality food and they bring it to your seat.
seat-picture1.jpeg

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
This movie doesn't even deserve 5% of the generated hype, if it wasn't for my curiously just to check what the fuss is all about i never would have considered watching it.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I dont even care about the movie, but I support the quick streaming release so much, ill rent/buy it regardless.

I don't care about the movie either, but as a kind, Capitalistic middle-fingered-type gesture towards the North Korean little man in charge... I'll buy it.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I watched it drunk at 2 AM on YouTube. It was fun, it almost made me like Kim Jong Un in a certain way (if he's against that movie for real, he really has no sense of humor... okay, you're right, everybody knows he really has no sense of humor).

It was far from what I'd call a good movie and it was pretty expensive for a rental though, but then again less expensive than if it has been out in theatres.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Would you have still seen the movie if it wasn't for all the drama?

Likely not... but I'm buying it to make a political statement if nothing else. I may not watch it anytime soon, but I hope that the groundswell of support from people who hated that Sony caved is a very visible lesson for anyone else who gets in this situation. Don't cave.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Sony really are are slow learners. Unless you're in the US you can pirate it for free, but are prohibited from paying for it.

Who exactly is the territorial restriction on this supposed to benefit?

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
It never was. It really is a simple thing, Apple was shut down for the week. Now, they're back from the shutdown, all stuff starts to arrive and the backlog will be caught up.

This movie isn't worth pulling the iTunes team from holidays just to push it on Christmas day. Screw that.

Companies don't just shut down.

Apple has people working over holiday who could make these kinds of decisions at a moment's notice, if necessary. Apple willfully decided not to because of fear of the "terrorists".

They played it safe and now they're late to the party as anyone who has already seen it has rented or purchased it from Google or Microsoft, or has torrented it.

Apple could have gotten a nice chunk of that "Interview" pie. Now that ship has sailed.

Last edited:

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
So where are all the attacks? This movie was shown on Christmas Day and as far as we know no movie theater was attacked. Nothing happened to any of the online services that streamed it. I think it's all a bunch of BS and a crap movie is getting way more attention than it deserves all in the name of "freedom of speech". Where's all the cynicism that people on the left are known for?

Hackers have no physical attack capabilities. They are remote, not physically present. No one took that seriously. They were clearly empty threats. But theaters got nervous due to liability issues and affecting Xmas shopping in malls. The hackers were laughing I'm sure.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Not sure why Apple waited. They should have jumped on the opportunity. They could have signed up a lot of new users to iTunes if they got an exclusive. Once again, Eddie Cue fails.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
does anyone think other big movies will do this in the future by allowing stream the day of the release?

Oh I hope so. I don't know why they don't offer everything all at once - theatrical release for the cinema folk, bluray+DVD and Streaming all on day 1. There's no way I'm going to the cinema again (used to go once a month since I was a kid but I've noticed people talking more and more during them. So I just get films on bluray instead). If anything releasing everything at once would force cinemas to improve things on their end to make it the best option they can.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Dammit apple made me rent from YouTube cause you were late to the party

Unfortunately, Apple waited long enough, especially over the Christmas holiday, that many people went through the trouble to figure out how to rent a movie on YouTube to work around what they wanted. Kind of like the android debacle, Apple pushed people to investigate alternative options when iOS wasn't available on Verizon.

Abacab

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
Do not waste your time or money

Go get root canal or a tooth pulled it will be more entertaining !

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Way to go, Apple! Make it available one day after I already gave $5.99 to Google to see it via YouTube.

BTW and FWIW, that worked out to about $1.50 to $2.00 per laugh. I (literally) only laughed 3-4 times. Most of it was just plain stupid.

My recommendation is to wait for the $1.50 RedBox rental or the (inevitable) Netflix streaming.

Mark

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Apple Said to Have Declined Offer From Sony to Host 'The Interview' on iTunes

(Apple follows the crowd)

...a few days later...

Apple Makes 'The Interview' Available on iTunes

Apple is so predictable.

----------

It was about Apple not wanting to be a hacking target.
I agree.

Now the storm has passed and everyone else has had it, the danger has passed.
No, not at all.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Companies don't just shut down.

Apple has people working over holiday who could make these kinds of decisions at a moment's notice, if necessary. Apple willfully decided not to because of fear of the "terrorists".

iTunes Connect shuts down every year like clockwork. I have never heard of anything getting approved during the shutdown. Only prescheduled changes go through. I'm sure they could have scrambled people for an emergency, but it's also completely plausible that they don't see Sony's vacillation as an emergency.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
iTunes Connect shuts down every year like clockwork. I have never heard of anything getting approved during the shutdown. Only prescheduled changes go through. I'm sure they could have scrambled people for an emergency, but it's also completely plausible that they don't see Sony's vacillation as an emergency.

Not a day goes by that I'm not 100% thankful that people from MacRumors don't actually own stake in or run a major company.

Apple isn't run by emotion. It's run by the almighty dollar, just as every large corporation in the world is. Sony was releasing a movie on Christmas. Regardless of what kind of movie it was or who it was from, Apple missed a major change to profit on the release of something.

Google was there. Microsoft was also there.

Believe me, it didn't come down to someone at Apple letting their emotions take control and saying they didn't feel Sony's predicament was worthy enough of an immediate release. That's just ridiculous. They were playing it safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.