Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
iTunes Connect shuts down every year like clockwork. I have never heard of anything getting approved during the shutdown. Only prescheduled changes go through. I'm sure they could have scrambled people for an emergency, but it's also completely plausible that they don't see Sony's vacillation as an emergency.
Exactly, plus judging by the numbers given out by Sony so far, this will only have given Apple a bit of extra pocket change.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Put a cloths pin on my nose and paid the $5.99.

Why? One can support free speech without feeling obligated to rent/buy this movie.

----------

Not a day goes by that I'm not 100% thankful that people from MacRumors don't actually own stake in or run a major company.

Apple isn't run by emotion. It's run by the almighty dollar, just as every large corporation in the world is. Sony was releasing a movie on Christmas. Regardless of what kind of movie it was or who it was from, Apple missed a major change to profit on the release of something.

Google was there. Microsoft was also there.

Believe me, it didn't come down to someone at Apple letting their emotions take control and saying they didn't feel Sony's predicament was worthy enough of an immediate release. That's just ridiculous. They were playing it safe.

The amount of money Apple would've made off this the past three days is pocket change. I have no problem with them playing it safe. And I would've had no problem if Google and Microsoft also played it safe. It's not like free-speech dies if this movie doesn't get shown on Christmas Day.

EDIT: Sony says online sales this weekend were $15M. They can spin it however they want but that's a flop.

Last edited:

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I saw this movie, didn't pay. But I'll say it was just a bunch of gags and back and forth banter mixed in with a couple smart ideas that didn't play out smart. Also, the end is one of the most anti-climactic endings I've seen in a feature. South Park does most of the stuff here but better.

I guess $5.99 is much better than a $10+ movie ticket for this crap.

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Sweet, I was trying over the weekend to watch it from YouTube but I couldn't get a stable wifi connection pushing it to my TV via YouTube, Fire TV stick or AirPlay.

I'll probably watch it to tonight.

iJandro

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
San Francisco, CA
alright, thats what i'm talkin' about

Easily-Impressed-Jeff-Daniels-As-Harry-Dunne-In-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Exactly, plus judging by the numbers given out by Sony so far, this will only have given Apple a bit of extra pocket change.

Who knows how much money Apple would have made by offering The Interview three days earlier. It could have been a little... it could have been a lot. I'm not sure Apple is worried about it though.

I bet Apple makes more money selling iPhones in one hour than all the money they would have ever made selling/renting The Interview.

Missing the opening weekend sales for a single movie won't bankrupt Apple.

They are offering it now... so they will undoubtedly make some money from it. But again... it's not like Apple missed some great opportunity by releasing it late.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
Dammit apple made me rent from YouTube cause you were late to the party

Yup, too late Apple. YouTube got my money.

----------

Sweet, I was trying over the weekend to watch it from YouTube but I couldn't get a stable wifi connection pushing it to my TV via YouTube, Fire TV stick or AirPlay.

I'll probably watch it to tonight.

It worked fine via apple tv youtube app. It actually worked better than apple tv movies, which tend to frezee sometimes or take forever to load.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
This will be the start to more movies going right to iTunes if this works out well. I bought for that reason...

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
It's the holidays buddy. I doubt YOU'RE at work right now....

Cult of Mac obviously were at work. I read it on there hours ago and then posted in the other Interview thread to say that it was on iTunes. MacRumors didn't update until hours after that post. Holidays or not, this site is ALWAYS last to the punch with news. Cult of Mac, in terms of speed of news and quality if writing is superior to MacRumors, as is 9to5 Mac.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
ONCE AGAIN Apple is an industry follower - followed the market into this movie release, followed the market into larger phones, followed the market into smaller tablets, the list goes on, and on, and on.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
ONCE AGAIN Apple is an industry follower - followed the market into this movie release, followed the market into larger phones, followed the market into smaller tablets, the list goes on, and on, and on.

Apple will be fine. They sell enough of these "late" devices to be perfectly happy.

Are you new to Apple?

Apple is rarely "first" at anything. Not the first smartphone, not the first MP3 player, not the first smartwatch, etc.

Yet somehow they go on... :rolleyes:

Does anyone here drive a Honda? Did you know they made their first automobile 60 years after Ford did? :eek:

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
My local Theatre is $7.50 before 6pm, $9.50 after (additional $3 for 3D).

And all seats are Luxury seating that you can reserve in advance (all seats are numbered and assigned), they also have a bar with beer on tab or get a glass of wine, order speciality food and they bring it to your seat.
seat-picture1.jpeg

O.M.G! Take me to your movies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.