Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-6-Touch-ID-250x248.png
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has provided reliable information about Apple's upcoming product plans in the past, claims that Apple's next-generation iPhone will feature an upgraded Touch ID module with reduced reading errors for an improved and safer Apple Pay experience.
"We think the new iPhone,expected to launch in 3Q15, will be equipped with an upgraded Touch ID module, with which Apple (US) intends to offer a better and safer Apple Pay user experience with reduced reading errors. We therefore raise our 2015F shipments of Touch ID module by 12.4% to 262mn sets, boosted by Apple Pay and new iPhone models."
Kuo told investors that he expects suppliers to ramp up for production of the improved Touch ID module shipments, which are expected to rise by 77% to over 260 million units, in the second quarter. The oft-accurate analyst added that the upgraded fingerprint scanner will "require more advanced precision for the module's laser welding process."

KGI-Touch-ID-Shipments.png
Sunnic and ASE Kuo are expected to be two of the main suppliers of components for Apple's new Touch ID alongside TSMC. Kuo predicts that Apple will release the next-generation iPhone in the third quarter of this year, lining up historically with past iPhone releases in September.

Kuo also points out that Touch ID embedded into a display is unlikely in the near term, despite several published patent applications from Apple on the topic. With a need for a sapphire display cover to minimize scratching and the complex algorithms needed for handling Touch ID within a display, it will be some time before such technology is ready for market.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Said to Feature Upgraded Touch ID With Reduced Errors

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
reduced errors?

how the **** will that work?

mines been absolutely prefect.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That will be a plus, but the list of possible upgrades from the 6 to the 6s seems rather short.

I wonder what else apple can do to keep improving the iPhone (other then making it thinner)

----------

I don't get it, Touch ID has been working perfectly for me.

That doesn't mean its working perfectly for everyone.

ehfz

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
Program all slots to one finger.

Ever since I programmed all available fingerprint slots to a single finger (my right thumb) I've never had a single misread or error with Touch ID unless my finger or the sensor is wet. Not saying it should have to be like that but that method does seem to work really well.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
He means in the future, there'll be updated analysts with reduced errors and conjecture

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This just in:

iphone 6s to release in Q3, improved camera, improved touchID, improved GPU, improved CPU.

These analyst are masters of the secrets.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Ever since I programmed all available fingerprint slots to a single finger (my right thumb) I've never had a single misread or error with Touch ID unless my finger or the sensor is wet. Not saying it should have to be like that but that method does seem to work really well.

I only registered once. Seems enough. I think some peoples problem is they confuse the system.

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
It has been working flawlessly for me as well, when I actually get the chance to use it.
Most often the stores around here in central PA, are using old enough POS registers or Pin Pads that can't even do NFC type payments. The ones that do, perfectly registers every time and are typically McDonalds or Subway.

As more stores update their hardware to accept NFC this will be a very common practice of using Apple Pay by many consumers and I love the convenience.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
That will be a plus, but the list of possible upgrades from the 6 to the 6s seems rather short.

I wonder what else apple can do to keep improving the iPhone (other then making it thinner)

----------

That doesn't mean its working perfectly for everyone.

Absolutely. Whilst I accept that I also don’t know of a single person that does have issues with it, (except on the net), it therefore comes as unexpected news. It doesn’t appear to be a widespread issue like battery drain in iOS or buggy finder/dropping wifi in OSX.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
touch id used to work every single time but it's gotten worse over the last month or so. I feel like it is ios 8.1.2 related. like it fails 3 times with no matter which finger I try but when I lock it and try again it works on first try all of the sudden

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If it doesn't work then you must be doing something wrong.

You mean by putting my thumb on the sensor and it not unlocking :rolleyes:

Sorry but don't blame the user when an apple product is not working perfectly.

Yes its working for you, but assuming that its perfect and working for everyone else is wrong.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
When the iPhone gets Thunderbolt I'll be interested.

...or when the iPhone can, with a single cable, also plug into a powered display to act as my main OS X workstation, & just display iOS on itself, but with both OS's accessing my user data on a shared local partition, without requiring uploading anything to the cloud.

...what we'll be using for devices a century from now.

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
Biometrics is good not perfect.

In general it has worked near perfectly for me with a few exceptions. After working out hard and sweating, usually have to enter PIN.

Since it is biometrics, we are all different. I have seen some people have a very hard time with it. Some related to moisture or some related to temperature, either hot/humid or cold. And some it's hard to explain.

So if they can get more data and make it better, it could really help some people out. They should have a calibration test app as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.