Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I cannot download the yosemite installer because the machine I have is 32 bit efi and when I go to the apple store it says my machine does not support it. I do not have any later macs, so how do I get it?

I also downloaded the yosemite installer zip package from pre patched Piker installer, and unzipped it and it does unzip into dmg. When I click on it to mount it, it does nothing. What am I to do with this file? I don't see any instructions. Am I to copy it over to a flash disk, or is the file bad because it will not open like other dmg files I download.

Any help with someone that has done this before would be nice.

You should use disk utility to restore that dmg to a flash drive. It should mount when you double click on it.

ssedlmayr

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
You should use disk utility to restore that dmg to a flash drive. It should mount when you double click on it.
I does not mount, and cannot be copied to flash via the disk utility. Must be bad.

If I buy a new mac mini, can I download the yosemite installer and try it that way? Might go to the apple store and see if they would do it for me without having to buy another computer.

Right now just backing up my 10.7.5 boot disk to a removable USB drive just in case I need to. Then I might try the boot efi method for installing because I do not know what the pre hacked version does. I do not know if it makes the usb for me and then I can boot from it and then it installs for me, or if I still have to go through all of the steps. It would be nice if someone just gave one method how to do it in a simple explanation. After I get this done, I might do that.

Anyway, I would like to contribute to someone after I get this done, if I do, for their work. Any suggestions to whom?

Pennypac

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
I does not mount, and cannot be copied to flash via the disk utility. Must be bad.

If I buy a new mac mini, can I download the yosemite installer and try it that way? Might go to the apple store and see if they would do it for me without having to buy another computer.

Right now just backing up my 10.7.5 boot disk to a removable USB drive just in case I need to. Then I might try the boot efi method for installing because I do not know what the pre hacked version does. I do not know if it makes the usb for me and then I can boot from it and then it installs for me, or if I still have to go through all of the steps. It would be nice if someone just gave one method how to do it in a simple explanation. After I get this done, I might do that.

Anyway, I would like to contribute to someone after I get this done, if I do, for their work. Any suggestions to whom?

I had the same problem it would not work from flash drive. So i used a La cie usb hard drive. Worked great. Once installed run the pikeryosefix and then installed the 10.10.2 combo from app store.

ssedlmayr

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
I had the same problem it would not work from flash drive. So i used a La cie usb hard drive. Worked great. Once installed run the pikeryosefix and then installed the 10.10.2 combo from app store.

What is the pikeryosefix? I am lost, as there are so many stories out there how to do this. Okay I have a USB LaCie myself, and usb 3.0. So what do I do next? Is that the file that I need to download, which is the hacked Piker mentioned on the first page? Do I then restore that to my Lacie? After that, do I boot into the usb LaCie? Will that ask for me to download the 10.10 from the app store?

Thanks for trying to help.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
What is the pikeryosefix? I am lost, as there are so many stories out there how to do this. Okay I have a USB LaCie myself, and usb 3.0. So what do I do next? Is that the file that I need to download, which is the hacked Piker mentioned on the first page? Do I then restore that to my Lacie? After that, do I boot into the usb LaCie? Will that ask for me to download the 10.10 from the app store?

The pre patched installer is just that. It is the result of me going through my guide and then making a disc image from the resulting USB drive.

MilesToEmpty

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2015
Alright I broke something.

I downloaded the piker yosemite image. Formatted the thumb drive properly. Installed successfully. Was in 10.10 testing and removing some apps that no longer were compatible.

Rebooted.

Now I only boot into the OS X Utilities option.

What step did I miss?

Pennypac

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015

The Pikeryosefix link is in the first post of first page of this thread. It will tell you what to after you get the patched yosemite installed and working.

So first Restore the patched yosemite to your usb Lacie.Restart computer hold down the option key till your drives appear then select a drive. Next install yosemite to your selected hard drive. Then do the pikeryosefix

ctmagicman

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
Need help with the Piker-Alpha

Hello, I am hoping someone can asset me with this. I downloaded the pre-patched Piker-Alpha bootable Yosemite installer successfully but when I try to open the zip file my computer cannot complete the action. I downloaded Pacifist as well, but I because I am running 10.7.5 I could not download the most recent. Regardless, Pacifist could not unzip either.

I hope someone has some suggestions. I am trying to upgrade my Mac Pro 2,1. Please help!

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Just ran the Security Update from the App Store. No problems to report.

2006 Mac Pro (1,1 flashed to 2,1)

MacDann

The only issue these incremental security updates might cause is a graphics one related to the Nvidia Web Drivers. The security updates are changing the OS X build number so the drivers report as incompatible so cards like the GTX 750/750ti/960/970/980 that require the driver will no longer work. You have to change the build number in the info.plist located inside the NVDSStartup.kext.

creativelyadept

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
Any ideas?

In a word: Help.

Offer: Round of tasty adult beverages on me next time your in Toronto.

Stakes: Self inflicted and rapid premature hair loss in handfuls.

So here's the poop. I'm trying to install Yosemite on my MacPro 1,1 and can't seem to get the job done. I followed Hennesie2000's Guide to the letter. And everything works... right up until the point of booting from the USB install.

When I try to select the USB installer in Startup Disk I get the message "The bless tool was unable to set the startup disk yadda yadda yadda...".

I also tried installing Yosemite on an external HDD from my MacBook Pro Retina and then removing the drive from the enclosure and then selecting it as the Startup Disk... and same message.

And... I tried running the bless command on that HDD and the USB... which appeared/seemed to go down smoothly, but had no effect.

I thought maybe because the Install OS X Yosemite.app that I downloaded from the app store might have been 10.10.2, I grabbed a original 10.10 version... and still no luck.

Also... I grabbed pre-patched Yosemite installer disk image and that didn't work either...

That isn't the issue. And let's for now assume that yes, I have the latest version of Pike's boot.efi stuffs. And that since I am currently running Mavericks on the MacPro, so obviously I have a compatible video card. MSI GeForce 210 or somesuch... And lastly... if not already obvious from any of the above ( :rolleyes: ) I'm no newbie or tourist — I made my tech savvy bones a long time ago.

What the bloody 'ell am I missing?

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
When I try to select the USB installer in Startup Disk I get the message "The bless tool was unable to set the startup disk yadda yadda yadda...".

[...]

I am currently running Mavericks on the MacPro

Chances are you are running Mavericks using Chameleon or Clover (not Tiamo's boot.efi). If so, "bless" doesn't work. It's a long time since I last used Chameleon (I used it with Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro 1,1->2,1, and I might have used it early in Mavericks' days, but I soon moved fully to Tiamo's boot.efi), so my recollection as to why you should use bless as such is a bit fuzzy. If you really need to "bless" that USB pen drive, you'll need a bona-fide (non-Chameleon or the like) boot.efi that your computer can run. For instance, booting into Snow Leopard or Lion, or the Recovery partition thereof.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Chances are you are running Mavericks using Chameleon or Clover (not Tiamo's boot.efi). If so, "bless" doesn't work. It's a long time since I last used Chameleon (I used it with Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro 1,1->2,1, and I might have used it early in Mavericks' days, but I soon moved fully to Tiamo's boot.efi), so my recollection as to why you should use bless as such is a bit fuzzy. If you really need to "bless" that USB pen drive, you'll need a bona-fide (non-Chameleon or the like) boot.efi that your computer can run. For instance, booting into Snow Leopard or Lion, or the Recovery partition thereof.

This is correct. When booted into legacy mode using one of those boot loaders the bless command does not work. If you are running Mavericks or Yosemite simply replace the boot.efi files with the right versions and do a pram reset. That will take it out of legacy mode and it will boot using the newly changed boot.efi.

AnotherDesign

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
What to do with it.

I have successfully installed Yosemite on a MacPro 1.1 following the advice in 1602, onto a new SSD in the MP. However, I could not get the MP to boot to complete the installation. Then I realised that I should have probably installed Snow Leopard first. I put the SL Install disk in the CD drive fully expecting to do a SL install and the Yosemite install again, completed a few details....when Yosemite accepted the SL disc and completed instantly. Brilliant.

The last thing to do is to "install the PikeYoseFix". Please could someone tell me exactly how to do this and where to put it.....as I cannot find that precise information in the 'First Post".?

Massive thanks to everyone who has given advice and worked on this project.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

I have successfully installed Yosemite on a MacPro 1.1 following the advice in 1602, onto a new SSD in the MP. However, I could not get the MP to boot to complete the installation. Then I realised that I should have probably installed Snow Leopard first. I put the SL Install disk in the CD drive fully expecting to do a SL install and the Yosemite install again, completed a few details....when Yosemite accepted the SL disc and completed instantly. Brilliant.

The last thing to do is to "install the PikeYoseFix". Please could someone tell me exactly how to do this and where to put it.....as I cannot find that precise information in the 'First Post".?

Massive thanks to everyone who has given advice and worked on this project.

You didn't read the first post very well. Step 2 right near the top in section 2 contains a link to 666Sheep's post with the PikeYoseFix install package.

humann

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles
pretty sure I did this wrong

The only issue these incremental security updates might cause is a graphics one related to the Nvidia Web Drivers. The security updates are changing the OS X build number so the drivers report as incompatible so cards like the GTX 750/750ti/960/970/980 that require the driver will no longer work. You have to change the build number in the info.plist located inside the NVDSStartup.kext.

I did this on an SSD that used to boot in this Mac Pro 2,1 before the last Security update. It now just boots to an empty gray screen (the option-key boot select startup screen works fine however) that looks a bit like an extended desktop. That light gray of a second monitor before login is done. Although I found no NVDSStartup.kext file there was an NVDAStartup.kext so I assumed that was the right one. I replaced the Build number in that kext's info.plist as suggested above with 14C1514 as I read it off the other 2,1 I have here, that I'm pretty sure was updated identically. That 2,1 is fine though, I think because it has an older video card. The card in the problem machine is an R9 280X flashed by MacVidcards. It works under the 10.7 Lion drive and I'm typing right now on a screen it's powering but I'm not sure it's accelerated under Lion. I changed the permissions on the info.plist file back as they were before rebooting continued to fail and am at a bit of a loss as to what I'm overlooking at this point. I saw a link to some Netkas drivers in another thread but didn't want to jump into that until I'm sure that I'm not missing something simple with this method.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I did this on an SSD that used to boot in this Mac Pro 2,1 before the last Security update. It now just boots to an empty gray screen (the option-key boot select startup screen works fine however) that looks a bit like an extended desktop. That light gray of a second monitor before login is done. Although I found no NVDSStartup.kext file there was an NVDAStartup.kext so I assumed that was the right one. I replaced the Build number in that kext's info.plist as suggested above with 14C1514 as I read it off the other 2,1 I have here, that I'm pretty sure was updated identically. That 2,1 is fine though, I think because it has an older video card. The card in the problem machine is an R9 280X flashed by MacVidcards. It works under the 10.7 Lion drive and I'm typing right now on a screen it's powering but I'm not sure it's accelerated under Lion. I changed the permissions on the info.plist file back as they were before rebooting continued to fail and am at a bit of a loss as to what I'm overlooking at this point. I saw a link to some Netkas drivers in another thread but didn't want to jump into that until I'm sure that I'm not missing something simple with this method.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

these issues, like the nvdsastartup kext, have nothing whatsoever to do with an R9 280X.

If you start monkeying with things you will however create problems.

The issues with these goofy security updates only affect Nvidia cards that aren't in regular OS X drivers.

bubez

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
Trieste, Italy
Is it normal?

Hello there!

A couple of weeks ago I installed Yosemite from a supported Mac, applied pike's boot.efi and installed pikeyosefix script and moved the SSD to my MP1,1.

Everything's working great, but when I reboot, it seems like the machine reboots twice:
- the first time the apple logo appears and the progress bar hits like 20%, then it reboots
- the second time it runs normally through the login window.

Is this behavior normal?
I tried to look the text in verbose mode, but after 1 second past the Firewire initialization logs, some lines (that I couldn't read) quickly appear and BANG! reboot.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Hello there!

A couple of weeks ago I installed Yosemite from a supported Mac, applied pike's boot.efi and installed pikeyosefix script and moved the SSD to my MP1,1.

Everything's working great, but when I reboot, it seems like the machine reboots twice:
- the first time the apple logo appears and the progress bar hits like 20%, then it reboots
- the second time it runs normally through the login window.

Is this behavior normal?
I tried to look the text in verbose mode, but after 1 second past the Firewire initialization logs, some lines (that I couldn't read) quickly appear and BANG! reboot.

That isn't a reboot. The logo and the progress bar become a black screen (or a grey one, I suppose, if you choose the grey background boot.efi) for a few seconds, then reappear and the end of the boot process is fast. That's it.

Last edited:

schalliol

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
Hi all,

Many thanks for this great thread. Having a fully loaded MacPro 2,1 and with most software that I use now requiring 10.8 or above, this was a life-saver.

I have been using 10.10.1 for a few weeks and followed the instructions to the letter to upgrade to 10.10.2 (I am fairly computer literate) and still got a folder with question mark on boot after the 10.10.2 upgrade! Fortunately, I kept the USB stick and have now fixed it. For anyone else with the amended USB Yosemite installer, here is what I did. (listed every step so hopefully even people without computer skills can follow):

1) Insert USB stick and turn on Mac, the mac automatically booted from the USB stick

2) Click continue on mouse/keyboard (if using bluetooth), select language and continue to the screen where you get the utilities menu bar, select Terminal from the utilities menu and terminal should open

3) In terminal type:
Code:
chflags nouchg /Volumes/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
and press return.
notes:
This removes flags in the locked file.
Do not use sudo in any of these commands, it will error.
Replace "System" in the above text string (and the following text strings) with the name of your boot drive, I use the name System as my boot drive so it works. If you need to find out the name of your Hard Drive use the following code first
Code:
ls /Volumes

4) In terminal type:
Code:
cp Library/CoreServices/boot.efi /Volumes/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
and press return.

5) In terminal type:
Code:
cp Library/CoreServices/boot.efi /Volumes/System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
and press return.

6) In terminal type:
Code:
chflags uchg /Volumes/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
and press return.
notes:
This puts back the flag to lock the file.

7) You just need to reboot and all should hopefully be OK, just type
Code:
reboot
in terminal and press return.

This overall thread and the post above was a huge lifesaver this AM when the update got applied! I'm traveling this week and my family uses this Mac, so I had just enough time to do this this AM. Thanks everyone!

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Hullo all. Just thought I’d check in to see how things are. Has taken a while but now that I’ve bought a 5,1 I realise that I’m bored with out all the hacking!

humann

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles
these issues, like the nvdsastartup kext, have nothing whatsoever to do with an R9 280X.

If you start monkeying with things you will however create problems.

The issues with these goofy security updates only affect Nvidia cards that aren't in regular OS X drivers.

Thanks! I'm going to try reformatting the drive and reinstalling Yosemite from scratch.

Jessiechrist

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
OMG so how long do we have to wait for Nvidia to update their web driver so we don't have to suffer Macs Security update revision nomenclature breaking the driver.

Is there a quick dirty fix? I tried going into the extensions folder and changing the OS number in the NVDAstartup.kext info.plist to 14C514 but that didn't allow the web driver to boot.

Really annoying that a driver can be crippled because they change a digit in the OS Build...

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
OMG so how long do we have to wait for Nvidia to update their web driver so we don't have to suffer Macs Security update revision nomenclature breaking the driver.

Is there a quick dirty fix? I tried going into the extensions folder and changing the OS number in the NVDAstartup.kext info.plist to 14C514 but that didn't allow the web driver to boot.

Really annoying that a driver can be crippled because they change a digit in the OS Build...

new ones for yosemite was out this AM

The build was 14C1514, maybe that is why it didn't work?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland

Did you clear kernel cache before rebooting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.