Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessiechrist

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
new ones for yosemite was out this AM

The build was 14C1514, maybe that is why it didn't work?

Yeah I omitted the 1 but even if I repaired all the permissions I kept getting signiture errors that I couldn't fix... So much for manually editing the Info.plist.

I eventually resorted to the method of expanding the webdriver package and editing the Distribution file like with this method.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1853748/

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Yeah I omitted the 1 but even if I repaired all the permissions I kept getting signiture errors that I couldn't fix... So much for manually editing the Info.plist.

I eventually resorted to the method of expanding the webdriver package and editing the Distribution file like with this method.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1853748/

You have to use kext-dev-mode=1. That will allow it to load even with the signature errors.

sweetspud

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2015
Security Update 2015-003 1.0??

Any new on the latest security update, Security Update 2015-003 1.0??

Is it safe to install??

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
This has probably been said, but a good practice is to keep a bootable clone of your working system on a spare hard drive, especially since Time Machine doesn't allow us to restore a complete Yosemite install to a 1,1/2,1 Mac Pro. SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner are great tools for this, and also allow you to boot into the spare drive if you need to troubleshoot after an update/upgrade gone wrong.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
It is a reboot indeed.. Have a look at the clip

It's, indeed, a double boot in your case. That doesn't happen to me. I thought you were describing the brief disappearance of the logo and the progress bar (a couple of seconds or so).

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
This has probably been said, but a good practice is to keep a bootable clone of your working system on a spare hard drive, especially since Time Machine doesn't allow us to restore a complete Yosemite install to a 1,1/2,1 Mac Pro. SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner are great tools for this, and also allow you to boot into the spare drive if you need to troubleshoot after an update/upgrade gone wrong.

I would second this. With the STRONG suggestion that you also keep a 10.7.5 install on a small partition or spare drive. It is SO cheap to get an old 10-100 GB drive and keep a simple OS install from which to boot and do fixes.

I read these threads where someone only has a lone OSX install and when it crashes they are left helpless and spend days recreating. When all it should take is holding option and booting from an alternate install to fix.

Recovery partition is nice but not same thing.

Last edited:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I would second this. With the STRONG suggestion that you also keep a 10.7.5 install on a small partition or spare drive. It is SO cheap to get an old 10-100 GB drive and keep a simple OS install from which to boot and do fixes.

I read these threads where someone only has a lone OSX install and when it crashes they are left helpless and spend days recreating. When all it should take is holding option and booting Grom an alternate install to fix.

Recovery partition is nice but not same thing.

LOL! Just as I was thinking, "Huh, a Lion install?" one of the drives died in my 1,1 and I forgot to patch the graphics kexts in the backup, so now I have an unbootable machine. :D

To the spare disk stack! What a better way to illustrate this point.

Last edited:

jrccomputer

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
Elk River, MN
Not trying to sound like an idiot or be too noobish! But is there anyway I can upgrade my current lion, without doing a clean install!

Only reason I ask is because I have a 4TB hard drive with over half a TB of Data and it would take some time to migrate all that data! If I can just upgrade from lion using Pikes pre-patched Yosmite installer, it would make everything so much easier!

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Not trying to sound like an idiot or be too noobish! But is there anyway I can upgrade my current lion, without doing a clean install!

Only reason I ask is because I have a 4TB hard drive with over half a TB of Data and it would take some time to migrate all that data! If I can just upgrade from lion using Pikes pre-patched Yosmite installer, it would make everything so much easier!

Sure. That's what I did when I was upgrading. Just install Yosemite over top of your Lion install. Just, please, please, make sure you have a recovery or a spare disk. Clone your Lion install, create a fresh one, whatever you have to do to back up your files just in case the upgrade goes wrong.

jrccomputer

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
Elk River, MN
Sure. That's what I did when I was upgrading. Just install Yosemite over top of your Lion install. Just, please, please, make sure you have a recovery or a spare disk. Clone your Lion install, create a fresh one, whatever you have to do to back up your files just in case the upgrade goes wrong.

Awesome! Is the easiest way to create a backup TimeMachine or is there an easier way! How would you recommend cloning the Current Lion setup?? Or what method did you use to clone your's??

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I always use CarbonCopyCloner

I posted a bit ago with some recommendations. I would STRONGLY recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to make a BOOTABLE install on a spare hard drive. Time Machine does NOT allow for a full system restore of Yosemite on a 1,1/2,1 Mac Pro.

jdocpa

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
Almost there....

Hi all,

Thank you for the instructions and information to boot Yosemite on my Mac Pro (1,1). I followed a similar set of instructions for Mavericks, and it worked well.

For Yosemite, however, the process didn't work so well. My install disk is an external FireWire disk (used the same one to install Mavericks). The external disk boots, and I get all the way to the 'Installing- 22 minutes remaining' screen. Then- nothing. It hangs, and eventually just boots to my eDrive partition.

I'm installing the latest version of Yosemite- 10.10.2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

John

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hi all,

Thank you for the instructions and information to boot Yosemite on my Mac Pro (1,1). I followed a similar set of instructions for Mavericks, and it worked well.

For Yosemite, however, the process didn't work so well. My install disk is an external FireWire disk (used the same one to install Mavericks). The external disk boots, and I get all the way to the 'Installing- 22 minutes remaining' screen. Then- nothing. It hangs, and eventually just boots to my eDrive partition.

I'm installing the latest version of Yosemite- 10.10.2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

John

I would suggest that you post what EXACTLY you did to create installer.

Or we could guess.....

evagelos

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Patras, Greece
Hi all
I need help

After Pram reset Mac hangs at the start screen with the apple and half way of the loading bar

Yosemite 10.10.2
MacPro 1.1

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.