Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Make sure that boot.fi is the modded one in both spots and repair permissions.

not much else you can do beside start over

Ok, this is the second USB i've made and it doesnt boot past any form of Apple screen at all. What the hell is wrong? These are the same drives I used when I originally set this up.
EDIT: verbose boot yields its stuck on "root device uuid is (numbers)" Hm.

On another USB drive, it eventually kernal panics.

ReallyRedCobra

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
I'm so frustrated right now its not even funny. I rebooted my mac and now its not booting back on the desktop. Everything was working fine. I've been on 10.10.2. Ive rebooted successfully many times and shut down with no problem. Right now I was able to get into bootcamp.

My main issue is I can't actually see whats going on. I just have a 570GTX in here so no boot screens. Does anyone have a spare card laying around I can buy or borrow(i'll pay shipping). I dont know what else to do. I dont want to put anymore money in this then i have too.

This sucks :(

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I'm so frustrated right now its not even funny. I rebooted my mac and now its not booting back on the desktop. Everything was working fine. I've been on 10.10.2. Ive rebooted successfully many times and shut down with no problem. Right now I was able to get into bootcamp.

My main issue is I can't actually see whats going on. I just have a 570GTX in here so no boot screens. Does anyone have a spare card laying around I can buy or borrow(i'll pay shipping). I dont know what else to do. I dont want to put anymore money in this then i have too.

This sucks :(
I'm having problems myself so I cant ship my card, now mine wont go to the option screen, only the grey apple one

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Have you tried doing a PRAM reset?

Just did, about to do it again. Why is it doing this?
EDIT: got it to the option menu, but when I select the THIRD drive I've made, it goes to the black boot screen for about 4 seconds then to the grey, traditional one.

EDIT 2: the third drive I made (partition on a working, internal drive) doesn't work, stuck on the stupid root uuid. What the HELL?

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Just did, about to do it again. Why is it doing this?
EDIT: got it to the option menu, but when I select the THIRD drive I've made, it goes to the black boot screen for about 4 seconds then to the grey, traditional one.

EDIT 2: the third drive I made (partition on a working, internal drive) doesn't work, stuck on the stupid root uuid. What the HELL?

The waiting for root device is typically a USB issue so not sure why it is happening when using an internal drive. If you haven't already try other USB ports.

Are you 100% positive you followed ALL of the steps to make the USB drive? Even though I have done it many many times I still sometimes forget steps and have to look back at the guide I put together.

Unfortunately I don't have a working Mac Pro to be able to test anything on and when it was working I didn't have any issues installing, ever.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
The waiting for root device is typically a USB issue so not sure why it is happening when using an internal drive. If you haven't already try other USB ports.

Are you 100% positive you followed ALL of the steps to make the USB drive? Even though I have done it many many times I still sometimes forget steps and have to look back at the guide I put together.

Unfortunately I don't have a working Mac Pro to be able to test anything on and when it was working I didn't have any issues installing, ever.

Your guide to the SFOTT? I'll double check it, but I think I'm good. I'll try the back USB. And its not waiting for root device, its before the kexts load, its the part where the text is centered and it shows the root device uuid.

----------

a85088a10699c46ec5db042c07fcab98.jpg
Here is where I am stuck

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Your guide to the SFOTT? I'll double check it, but I think I'm good. I'll try the back USB. And its not waiting for root device, its before the kexts load, its the part where the text is centered and it shows the root device uuid.

My guide isn't specifically SFOTT, it is the manual method of creating the install USB. It is linked in the initial post of this thread.

Edit:
Can you boot in safe mode by holding shift after the boot chime? If this is a cache issue, booting in safe mode will ignore kernel cache.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
My guide isn't specifically SFOTT, it is the manual method of creating the install USB. It is linked in the initial post of this thread.

Edit:
Can you boot in safe mode by holding shift after the boot chime? If this is a cache issue, booting in safe mode will ignore kernel cache.
Ok, I'll take a look at it and make one manually. I just tried safe boot and still same issue.

I also tried reblessing my old drive (the boot.efi in the i386 folder, right?) nope

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
ee5400f2799cb2e2309a1e39a069b7d3.jpg
finally got the KP. I cannot figure it out. Is it now a hardware problem? If so, how does lion boot and perform fine?

EDIT:
url to the 'report' of the boot failure after booting back into Lion: http://pastebin.com/u4Ye38W0

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Will 10.10.3 Run on the MacPro? Has anyone testet an Beta?

It should but there is only one way to find out. Be sure you know what you are doing though incase there is a problem. I do know one person who tried the beta on a 1,1 but I don't think he is still running it.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Update to 10.10.3 is now released. Haven't tried as it seems to accompany a recovery partition update as well.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
10.10.3 DOES replace the boot.efi in the /usr/standalone/i386/ folder so PLEASE make sure you have installed the PikeYoseFix.

Attached is a complete file list for the update.

Attachments

• OSXUpd10.10.3.txt.zip
    151.8 KB · Views: 180
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.