Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikonratm

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
Hiya, MacPro 1,1 w/ Radeon HD 5770 been humming along with Mavericks so I figured i'd give Yosemite a try.

I've seen this issue mentioned in the thread but no clear fix. After starting up to the pre-patched installer I get the loading bar for about 25% and then just get a gray screen (forever). Verbose mode gives me the "still waiting for root device" error message.

Thanks so much for any help!

Anyone have ideas on how to solve the stuck pre-patched installer with "still waiting for root device" error?

Thanks!

chackett

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Wallingford, CT
So I'm going to reinstall the bootcache file - that will presumably allow the update to install.

This worked; installed security update 2015-003 without any problems. But I am, of course, back to one unexpected reboot during the startup sequence (after which the boot process proceeds normally). Strange (and annoying) but fortunately I don't reboot (or startup) that frequently.

That being said, this is the one glitch left in the modernization process for my 2006 Mac Pro (hard to believe this computer is almost 10 years old and still going strong) so if anyone figures this out I will be eternally grateful.

The one clue I have to go on is the first startup attempt is SSD only - completely silent - the second one (after the reboot) starts off on the SSD but then access the HDD before finishing.

Last edited:

Jessiechrist

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
Issue booting 560ti after webdriver installed by customer.

After the last security update breaking the NVIDIA Web driver I fixed it by editing the web driver package to ignore the os revision. That machine was running the GTX 970.

He decided to install my edited webdriver on his second 1,1 pikers macpro running yosemite with a GTX 560TI, even though I told him he didn't need to since it runs the stock Mac Driver.

The machine will no longer boot into the OS with this card

I booted into the os with an ATI, uninstalled the webdriver.
The Mac will no longer boot with the 560ti or a 210.
I got it to boot sluggishly with an old nvidia 7300. It will not allow me to install any web drivers. I'm not sure if I want to do this at the moment. I suppose I could try the older edited driver that I have.

So my question to those of you with experience here.
Is there something I can purge from the boot configuration files that might help clear up what ever is preventing the 560TI or 210 from booting???
This isn't the first time I've had this problem just from swapping video cards before. It seemed to randomly resolve itself after changing around cards. It would be nice if there was a quick predictable fix.

Right now I'm stuck and hope I don't have to reinstall or waste countless hours.

update: Rolling back to my previous edit of the nvidia driver worked. Why does goofy stuff like this happen :/.

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
After the last security update breaking the NVIDIA Web driver I fixed it by editing the web driver package to ignore the os revision. That machine was running the GTX 970.

He decided to install my edited webdriver on his second 1,1 pikers macpro running yosemite with a GTX 560TI, even though I told him he didn't need to since it runs the stock Mac Driver.

The machine will no longer boot into the OS with this card

I booted into the os with an ATI, uninstalled the webdriver.
The Mac will no longer boot with the 560ti or a 210.
I got it to boot sluggishly with an old nvidia 7300. It will not allow me to install any web drivers. I'm not sure if I want to do this at the moment. I suppose I could try the older edited driver that I have.

So my question to those of you with experience here.
Is there something I can purge from the boot configuration files that might help clear up what ever is preventing the 560TI or 210 from booting???
This isn't the first time I've had this problem just from swapping video cards before. It seemed to randomly resolve itself after changing around cards. It would be nice if there was a quick predictable fix.

Right now I'm stuck and hope I don't have to reinstall or waste countless hours.

update: Rolling back to my previous edit of the nvidia driver worked. Why does goofy stuff like this happen :/.

Try repairing permissions.

KingKrab65

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
I had nothing but problems with the X1900XT when I first got my MacPro. Apple ended up replacing it three times under warranty till I finally convinced them to upgrade me to the 8800GT for free. Never had any more issues.

As far as a new GPU most PC Nvidia cards will work out of the box. Only the newer Maxwell based cards (GTX 750/750ti/960/970/980) require the NVIDIA web drivers. The GTX 780 might as well but that card requires more power than the Mac Pro can deliver stock anyways. You can pickup a GTX 570 on eBay for pretty cheap these days and that card is still pretty powerful and will work without the web drivers so just plug it in. Depending on the card you will need to get an additional PCIe power plug since I believe the X1900XT only uses one 6pin. Another option would be a GT 610 ($30-40) not very powerful though but works fine with Yosemite. Neither of those options will give you a boot screen though. If you want the boot screen when you hold option immediately after the startup chime then you will need an EFI based card like the 2600XT.

Another stupid question, why is it that every different card I try I always get a black screen unless the x1900xt is the main one?

unclemusclez

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
NYC
iMac5,1 EFI Frozen on Boot Install

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for all of the hard work from Pike, tiamo, and everyone else in the mix. I have had a lot of fun working with my old mac because of their effort to keep old machines alive.

In any case, I've had a lot of trouble trying to install Yosemite on my iMac5,1. I updated my iMac4,1 to the iMac5,1 with the firmware update. I have also installed a Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of ram, and a 128GB SSD.

The machine works and had Mountain Lion (10.8) installed on it as I managed to rig it up with SFOTT. Once I updated, it went dead (obviously). Then I came across this forum which had more information on the whole issue and what i had did wrong.

I have tried to create a boot disk myself, along side the one that is downloadable through the forum. The boot disk does the same thing in both scenarios: I can select the disk at start up, and once it gets to the Apple Logo, it seems like it freezes. Then it appears with a full progress bar below the logo. There is nothing after that.

This same issue occurs with both the black and classic boot efi mods. It also occurs, like i stated, with the downloadable, pre-made disk.

A similar issue occurs when I create the Yosemite disk with SFOTT. On boot, when I use the original tiamo EFI, there is a missing folder icon that flashes, surrounded by a black screen with a frozen underscore on the top left.

I have other Yosemite accessible Macs available. The iMac5,1 is accessible through Target Disk Mode as well.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to get this white devil rollin'. Thanks in advance.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for all of the hard work from Pike, tiamo, and everyone else in the mix. I have had a lot of fun working with my old mac because of their effort to keep old machines alive.

In any case, I've had a lot of trouble trying to install Yosemite on my iMac5,1. I updated my iMac4,1 to the iMac5,1 with the firmware update. I have also installed a Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of ram, and a 128GB SSD.

The machine works and had Mountain Lion (10.8) installed on it as I managed to rig it up with SFOTT. Once I updated, it went dead (obviously). Then I came across this forum which had more information on the whole issue and what i had did wrong.

I have tried to create a boot disk myself, along side the one that is downloadable through the forum. The boot disk does the same thing in both scenarios: I can select the disk at start up, and once it gets to the Apple Logo, it seems like it freezes. Then it appears with a full progress bar below the logo. There is nothing after that.

This same issue occurs with both the black and classic boot efi mods. It also occurs, like i stated, with the downloadable, pre-made disk.

A similar issue occurs when I create the Yosemite disk with SFOTT. On boot, when I use the original tiamo EFI, there is a missing folder icon that flashes, surrounded by a black screen with a frozen underscore on the top left.

I have other Yosemite accessible Macs available. The iMac5,1 is accessible through Target Disk Mode as well.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to get this white devil rollin'. Thanks in advance.

Your problem has nothing to do with the boot disk. The ATI x1600 in that iMac doesn't support OpenCL.

unclemusclez

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
NYC
Your problem has nothing to do with the boot disk. The ATI x1600 in that iMac doesn't support OpenCL.

Yes. I saw this issue with the 10.8 install as well. I was under the impression that i could install the kext afterward. In fact i may have posted this in the wrong thread. This thread and OS X Yosemite on Unsupported Macs have a lot of information that overlap.

Either way, thanks for the quick reply. Your thread has been very helpful.

ssedlmayr

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
mac 2,1, boot camp

Okay, got 10.10.8 running pretty smooth on my mac 2,1 I have attached the system info. Runs very nice, and much faster than what it did before, although that might be due to the SSD. But can now run newer programs than I did before. I wrote all of the steps down and will post them in another post.

I however, cannot get boot assistant to allow me to put on windows 7 64 bit, or even 32 bit. When I see the mac page on this, it states that 2,1 is not supported for boot camp, and I would guess because of the 32 bit efi. Is there a way to get in on the boot? I do have vmware but it much slower than I want. Can you manually put it on, and then have it recognized after the 64 bit efi kicks in?
Can you fake out the model number from 2,1 to 3,1 to make boot camp work? Is there a file than can be edited?

When I do boot camp, it makes the usb stick, then it formats the partition, then it reboots and does not install windows, but takes me right back to where I was. I think it finds out it is a 2,1 computer and then throws up.

Any ideas on how to do this? If someone has done it before, can you either point me to the post where it was done, step by step, or email me how to do it? Please do not just tell you have done it and it is fine. That does not help me much.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.22.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.22.12 AM.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 95

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Okay, got 10.10.8 running pretty smooth on my mac 2,1 I have attached the system info. Runs very nice, and much faster than what it did before, although that might be due to the SSD. But can now run newer programs than I did before. I wrote all of the steps down and will post them in another post.

I however, cannot get boot assistant to allow me to put on windows 7 64 bit, or even 32 bit. When I see the mac page on this, it states that 2,1 is not supported for boot camp, and I would guess because of the 32 bit efi. Is there a way to get in on the boot? I do have vmware but it much slower than I want. Can you manually put it on, and then have it recognized after the 64 bit efi kicks in?

Can you fake out the model number from 2,1 to 3,1 to make boot camp work? Is there a file than can be edited?

When I do boot camp, it makes the usb stick, then it formats the partition, then it reboots and does not install windows, but takes me right back to where I was. I think it finds out it is a 2,1 computer and then throws up.

Any ideas on how to do this? If someone has done it before, can you either point me to the post where it was done, step by step, or email me how to do it? Please do not just tell you have done it and it is fine. That does not help me much.

You can manually do it using disk utility and terminal. If you want to put it on the same 480GB drive as OS X it is a bit more complicated because you need to create a hybrid MBR. If you are putting it on another HDD it is very simple.

Let me know what approach you are taking and I can give you more direction.

ssedlmayr

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
windows 7

You can manually do it using disk utility and terminal. If you want to put it on the same 480GB drive as OS X it is a bit more complicated because you need to create a hybrid MBR. If you are putting it on another HDD it is very simple.

Let me know what approach you are taking and I can give you more direction.

I can put it on another drive. I also have another 1T SSD and two hard drives. Or 2TB usb3 or 4TB usb 3. I would prefer it on the other SSD in the system. It does not have to be on the 480 startup on.

Thanks

warrenza

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
Richmond, VA
error with basesystemresources.pkg

RESOLVED:

Hey all,

I'm a novice and tried Hennessie's instructions but got an error with the basesystemresources.pkg during install. Which step did I mess up? Please help.

I think maybe it has to do with the locking of the new boot.efi's? I just locked them via the "get info" pane. Is that not the same?

I locked the boot.efi in the usr folder. Once I unlocked it, I had a successful install and am now running Yosemite on my Mac Pro 1,1. Thank you!

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hey all,

I'm a novice and tried Hennessie's instructions but got an error with the basesystemresources.pkg during install. Which step did I mess up? Please help.

I think maybe it has to do with the locking of the new boot.efi's? I just locked them via the "get info" pane. Is that not the same?

What is the exact error message?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Ok guys, I've been having a bit of trouble with my pro. It stopped booting to the main drive, even though its read fine in my other machine. So I make a USB drive and see if I can boot, but all I get is a glitchy blinky "?" folder. I've tried two USB sticks. What else can I do to fix this?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Ok guys, I've been having a bit of trouble with my pro. It stopped booting to the main drive, even though its read fine in my other machine. So I make a USB drive and see if I can boot, but all I get is a glitchy blinky "?" folder. I've tried two USB sticks. What else can I do to fix this?

While it is connected to the other machine try repairing permissions. Then put it back and try to boot.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

I strongly advise keeping a working 10.7.5 partition. Any old drive you have laying around can be used. Even a (nearly) worthless IDE drive from an ancient computer can be used in
Optical bay.

The 10.7.5 drive is then always available in case of trouble.

This advice has one caveat, you can't use a 7950/70 R9 280 in a 1,1 in 10.7.5.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I strongly advise keeping a working 10.7.5 partition. Any old drive you have laying around can be used. Even a (nearly) worthless IDE drive from an ancient computer can be used in
Optical bay.

Thats sound advice and I'll probably do it. I am having trouble getting a CD/DVD drive working in my system, but I'll try nonetheless. I can pull an old LACIE's IDE drive out, I just don't want it to be super loud.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
While it is connected to the other machine try repairing permissions. Then put it back and try to boot.

Optical bay.

Ok, I've tried repairing permissions, which didn't work. I tried manually replacing the boot.efi, but that didn't work either. I'm wondering if some updates might have screwed my drive? Either way, a reinstall isn't a biggie since I have recent TM backups and most of my data is stored off of my SSD and on a larger platter drive. Now, is there any reason why none of the install drives I made work?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Ok, I've tried repairing permissions, which didn't work. I tried manually replacing the boot.efi, but that didn't work either. I'm wondering if some updates might have screwed my drive? Either way, a reinstall isn't a biggie since I have recent TM backups and most of my data is stored off of my SSD and on a larger platter drive. Now, is there any reason why none of the install drives I made work?

The only recent updates have been the two security updates which shouldn't have affected the boot.efi files.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
The only recent updates have been the two security updates which shouldn't have affected the boot.efi files.

Hmm, ok. Then I wonder what happened. I don't think I did anything to negatively affect my machine. Nevertheless, I'm making a 10GB partition on my internal platter for a Lion partition. I'm one of the lucky few who has an official Lion USB stick.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013

I setup a working Lion partition, booted and made another USB with a fresh copy of 10.10.2. Kinda started, no flickering folder, but it never made it. My pro rebooted into Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.