Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrashHouse

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Hi matteuz,

I'm also trying to install Yosemite with SFOTT, got an XFX Radeon HD 5770 card and trying to use it with the MacPro 1.1
So, I just want to ask you, did you flashed your card, and how did you get the EFI part?
There is so much discussion about it, I don't no where to start, do I have to flash it with some ROM's, or will it work (without boot screen) without flashing?

Thx,
yassi

Without the flash it will work just fine, just no bootscreen. The netkas website is full of useful info. Just beware not to use just some 5770 rom. It could stick your graphics card (happened to me). It's advised to search for the exact part number too, cause even within the same brand and types there are differences. But if you wanna stay on the safe side. Just use the card without the bootscreen, select the SFOTT USB-stick through the startup disk option in your OS X version.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
To the folks who built upon the previous work for Mavericks. [...].

I was able to get the Installer to boot and install w/o issue. At the first boot it would not boot into the drive which I had installed Yosemite onto. [...]

Questions are:
Did the install not go as planned ?
Did using the root/Admin account mess with the permissions?
Is it due to having Lion/Yoesemite on the same partition?
Anything I may have overlooked?

Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you :apple:

Well, the fact that, upon installation, your computer rebooted back to Lion might simply be due to the fact that your Lion partition might have been set at the time as your Startup Disk. So, that doesn't mean, per se, that something went wrong in the installation process. Using the root account shouldn't have messed with any permissions, but there's always the danger of doing irreparable damage if you don't know what you are doing. As to having Lion and Yosemite "on the same partition", I think you only mean "on the same disk", but in different partitions; otherwise, we would be speaking of some kind of computing miracle. No, there's nothing particularly out of the ordinary in having a disk with two operating systems (one per partition).

checkmate2006

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Are you using the "OSX Yosemite 10.10 Build 14A389" torrent ?

Yes since it is the actual Install OS X Yosemite.app. It is the only one that I have gotten to boot and get to the specific which is my issue. Which for some reason it is seeing something that I have may have missed causing it to say I can't install it on my mac.

roto1231

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
USA
To the folks who built upon the previous work for Mavericks. The guide for the EFI method is easy to follow and is pretty much the same one I followed for Mavericks. One point of clarification though. In the guide I followed in the past for Mavericks I had to add the Machine names to the "platform support.plist" just below the "board IDs". Is this something we have to do still or are we to skip this now? Also I was able to do the copy/replace on the locked items by logging in as the Admin/root user on my MacPro running Mavericks which got me around the terminal commands.

I was able to get the Installer to boot and install w/o issue. At the first boot it would not boot into the drive which I had installed Yosemite onto. It goes to the first drive in line which is Lion (the Yoesemite and Lion partitions are on the same drive). Is it a matter of just replacing the boot.efi again to the correct locations on the Yosemite partition or did I mess something up along the way? The reason I ask is because I am no longer able to boot from the USB HDD I had built as the installer.

Questions are:
Did the install not go as planned ?
Did using the root/Admin account mess with the permissions?
Is it due to having Lion/Yoesemite on the same partition?
Anything I may have overlooked?

Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you :apple:

EDIT:
It looks like it had something to do with the boot.efi file. I replaced the one which was installed with the boot.efi file I had used for the installer. Was this due to the boot.efi becoming "read only" and not usable for the machine to boot or is it something else? It still does not explain why my installer drive for Yoesemite not booting after the install.

matteuz

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Italy
Hi matteuz,

I'm also trying to install Yosemite with SFOTT, got an XFX Radeon HD 5770 card and trying to use it with the MacPro 1.1
So, I just want to ask you, did you flashed your card, and how did you get the EFI part?
There is so much discussion about it, I don't no where to start, do I have to flash it with some ROM's, or will it work (without boot screen) without flashing?

Thx,
yassi

Hi yassi,

i have a Sapphire 5750 Vapor-X flashed with 5770 Bios + EFI (vendor 0x68BE 1002). Without EFI part you don't have bootscreen but working Dual DVI.

With the XFX do not know how it could work, I followed a guide on another forum, it is the first result on google looking for "5750 amd flash mac os x".

i send in PM list for amd 5770 compatible. ;)

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
I was able to replicate the issue by zapping the NVRAM (command option P+R) twice and which caused the volume to hang at about 50%. (I had to boot off the USB key and rebuilt permissions/repaired the boot volume)

I got a couple of screenshots: Also a set of pictures of what I could grab on Flickr https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5sqbfy

One odd thing: I tried booting from a Carbon Copy Clone of the Drive I made last night and it exhibited the same issue it seems. (Granted the backup copy is on a rotational drive, but still moved very slowly.)

When I installed Yosemite, I upgraded the current volume--it was not a fresh install.

Attachments

• IMG_3603.JPG
    IMG_3603.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3592.JPG
    IMG_3592.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3586.JPG
    IMG_3586.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Without the flash it will work just fine, just no bootscreen. The netkas website is full of useful info. Just beware not to use just some 5770 rom. It could stick your graphics card (happened to me). It's advised to search for the exact part number too, cause even within the same brand and types there are differences. But if you wanna stay on the safe side. Just use the card without the bootscreen, select the SFOTT USB-stick through the startup disk option in your OS X version.

If you have any Hexed skills, this is super easy.

You just take the EFI from any work 5770 EFI and add it in the same place to your XFX 5770 rom.

You will need to run it through fixrom.py if you can't use NEtkas rombuilder for it.

(the "80" last rom indicator has to be reset to "00" which requires new checksum)

ON another note, I just verified that a GTX750 works fine in a 1,1 running latest Yosemite and the Web Drivers. No need for flashing or any kext hacks, you just need those Web Drivers loaded and running BEFORE installing the card.

Was able to easily Airdrop pix to my 5S using new WiFi BT card in 1,1. It "just Works"

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
If you have any Hexed skills, this is super easy.

You just take the EFI from any work 5770 EFI and add it in the same place to your XFX 5770 rom.

You will need to run it through fixrom.py if you can't use NEtkas rombuilder for it.

(the "80" last rom indicator has to be reset to "00" which requires new checksum)

ON another note, I just verified that a GTX750 works fine in a 1,1 running latest Yosemite and the Web Drivers. No need for flashing or any kext hacks, you just need those Web Drivers loaded and running BEFORE installing the card.

Was able to easily Airdrop pix to my 5S using new WiFi BT card in 1,1. It "just Works"

Have you tried a GTX 970? Some variations of that card (EVGA Super Clocked) have 2 6-pin power connections.

jamgold

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I am not quite sure how your are running system profiler but when I put this into terminal:
Code:
system_profiler > ~/Desktop/profiler_output.txt

I do get some errors but nothing related to bluetooth.

I am running system_profiler -detailLevel mini and when it gets to the Network secion I get several popups "system_profiler quit unexpectedly"

I have narrowed it down to
Code:
 system_profiler SPPCIDataType
2014-10-20 16:41:46.388 system_profiler[55532:1198131] Property list invalid for format: 200 (property list dictionaries may only have keys which are CFStrings, not 'CFNumber')
2014-10-20 16:41:46.389 system_profiler[55532:1198131] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'data parameter is nil'
*** First throw call stack:
(
	0   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff94ecd64c __exceptionPreprocess + 172
	1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fff944f06de objc_exception_throw + 43
	2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff94ecd4fd +[NSException raise:format:] + 205
	3   Foundation                          0x00007fff8b8df21f +[NSPropertyListSerialization propertyListWithData:options:format:error:] + 67
	4   SPSupport                           0x000000010bff507a -[SPDocument _setReport:forDataType:] + 97
	5   SPSupport                           0x000000010bff543a -[SPDocument _reportFromBundlesForDataType:] + 690
	6   SPSupport                           0x000000010bff5a47 -[SPDocument reportForDataType:] + 180
	7   SPSupport                           0x000000010bff5d01 __34-[SPDocument reportsForDataTypes:]_block_invoke + 68
	8   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916ea344 _dispatch_client_callout2 + 8
	9   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916ea873 _dispatch_apply_serial + 42
	10  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916dec13 _dispatch_client_callout + 8
	11  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916e99a1 _dispatch_sync_f_invoke + 39
	12  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916e9f60 dispatch_apply_f + 290
	13  SPSupport                           0x000000010bff5b55 -[SPDocument reportsForDataTypes:] + 234
	14  SPSupport                           0x000000010bff8d66 -[SPDocument xmlPropertyListRepresentationForDataTypes:] + 27
	15  system_profiler                     0x000000010bfea865 system_profiler + 18533
	16  system_profiler                     0x000000010bfeaa6c system_profiler + 19052
	17  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916e3323 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 12
	18  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916dec13 _dispatch_client_callout + 8
	19  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916e2365 _dispatch_queue_drain + 1100
	20  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916e3ecc _dispatch_queue_invoke + 202
	21  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916e16b7 _dispatch_root_queue_drain + 463
	22  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff916effe4 _dispatch_worker_thread3 + 91
	23  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff927516cb _pthread_wqthread + 729
	24  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff9274f4a1 start_wqthread + 13
)
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
2014-10-20 16:41:47.010 system_profiler[55531:1198110] Non-zero termination status from '/usr/sbin/system_profiler -nospawn -xml SPPCIDataType -detailLevel full', termination status: 6

Last edited:

roto1231

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
USA
Full Success !!

An update to the install I was working with earlier. I was able to do a full install to a clean SSD on my home MacPro 1,1. I still had to copy the boot.efi file again after the install which really isn't that big of a deal to me. I'm more than happy to get a working install of the OS on my MacPro 1,1:)

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Yosemite ++; Recovery HD {not}working

[Props to all involved]

Successful boot to Yosemite on a MacPro 1,1>2,1 x5365 8-cores 32GB RAM on an SSD following Hennesie2000's guide using Build:6b3c58ce8a of Pike's macosxbootloader/fork.

Custom-built boot.efi on a Dell Precision T5500/Dual Xeon E5620/8-core/12GB RAM/Win7x64; Black/Graph; builds in about two seconds with VSE2013…

Thanks T., H., P., et al.

Today: successful boot with e38fee2fb1 on said, yet unsuccessful boot into Recovery HD 10.10 (and a modified Recovery) ["Shocker!"]

I can open the Recovery HD, un-package BaseSystem.dmg, edit anything, re-package BS.dmg, and boot to great success in Mavericks ('Full' recovery). Entirely editable, and transparent.

All I get with Recovery 10.10 using a black boot.efi is a grey background, recessed apple log, and an infinity of time with which to appreciate it <g>

So; it's so . . . I only guess that we can all appreciate apple-gazing . . . .

Progress, I guess.

Thanks, all y'all.

splifin "# sudo -eye" gate

checkmate2006

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
I have been able to get a bit further. Now I am getting an error occurring while extracting files from the basesystemresources.pkg causing me to restart. Could that .pkg be corrupt or something?

*update I went ahead and replaced the packages in the packages folder to see if that makes a difference.

**update it made no difference

***update I am downloading another Yosemite torrent to test out my theory on that specific basesystemresources.pkg in the installESD.dmg of the Yosemite installer I used. Replace both packages folder and the hidden basesystem.dmg which has its own basesystemresources.pkg that could also be also corrupt. Really I am just going through every single possibility with my scope of knowledge and experience.

****update That didn't work either. And I forgot to update my carbon copy of the Mavericks I was running.....YAY!

Last edited:

ilegal31

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Gents,

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 quad core 2.66Ghz, I am planning to update to Yosemite, can anyone please provide information on which will be the best Nvidia card that I can use with this machine and where can I purchase it?. My budget is $200.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

jamgold

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 quad core 2.66Ghz, I am planning to update to Yosemite, can anyone please provide information on which will be the best Nvidia card that I can use with this machine and where can I purchase it?.

Got the same MacPro model and bought a $99 new NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2048 MB at Fry's and drive two monitors 21" no problem

Pro: cheap, new, works
Cons: no bootscreen

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Gents,

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 quad core 2.66Ghz, I am planning to update to Yosemite, can anyone please provide information on which will be the best Nvidia card that I can use with this machine and where can I purchase it?. My budget is $200.

Depends on what you mean by best.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Depends on what you mean by best.

If you want boot screens on same card, the an 8800GT 1GB is best.

If you can live without boot screens and play games, a used GTX 680 from any PC will be ideal.

If you want to run CUDA/OpenCL stuff then a used GTX570 2.5 or GTX 580 3GB is better. (again, no boot screens)

If you want modern reasonable power with no power cables, a GTX750 Ti is ideal. (no boot screens)

You could couple any of the above PC cards with a GT120 or 2600XT for boot screens. (The GT120 must specifically for EFI-32)

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I have been able to get a bit further. Now I am getting an error occurring while extracting files from the basesystemresources.pkg causing me to restart. Could that .pkg be corrupt or something?

The basesystemresources.pkg is the wrong file. You need the BaseSystem.dmg, it's a hidden file in the root of the InstallESD.dmg. Let the Finder show hidden files first - see also Post #863 for this and further steps.

checkmate2006

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
I did all that. This what is happening sorry for the orientation uploaded from my iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 178

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I did all that. This what is happening sorry for the orientation uploaded from my iPhone.

Maybe your downloaded Installer files or your created patched Installer are defective.

Try to install Mavericks in a Virtual Machine and download the Yosemite Installer therein from Apple's App-Store again.

checkmate2006

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Maybe your downloaded Installer files or your created patched Installer are defective.

Try to install Mavericks in a Virtual Machine and download the Yosemite Installer therein from Apple's App-Store again.

Oh wow, I didn't know that would work in a VM. I will give that a try tomorrow thanks.

CrashHouse

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Gents,

Did the same. Patch 1,1 to 2,1. Got a 2nd hand HD7950 reflashed for mac. Got bootscreen, but lost HDMI and upper DVI. Keep in mind that the 1,1 has a PCI-e 1.0 limitation. But otherwise. Great. After flash Yosemite sees the card as the AMD Radeon HD 7950 with resolutions up to 4K. Got 26Gb memory and this old beast is way faster than my 1 year old macbook pro 15 retina.

roto1231

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
USA
Gents,

I have a 1,1 which I installed Yosemite on and used the nVidia 610 for it when I upgraded to Mavericks. I kept the original nVidia 7300GT installed in case I ever had to do an option boot and moved it to a different slot. There is no efi boot screen but I've never been a fan of trying to flash a card (I bricked an expensive card and was not able to reverse it)

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Pike's boot.efi: result when trying to boot Recovery HD (latest commit a82f6e6fcf)

PIKE: NO recovery boot mode!
PIKE: Calling LdrpKernelCacheValid()
PIKE: LdrpKernelCacheValid(0)
PIKE: LdrpKernelCacheValid(4)
PIKE: Calling LdrpKernelCacheValid()
PIKE: LdrpKernelCacheValid(0)
PIKE: LdrpKernelCacheValid(1)
_

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.