Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilegal31

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Hello people,

Thanks to all the responses about the card for my mac pro 1,1. I need an Nvidia Card to run CUDA based applications that also requires at least 1GB of vram on the graphics card. In this case which Nvidia series will be my best option considering the speed also?.

I appreciate the time of all the people posting their comments.

----------

Jamgold,

This card is plug and play? No need to do anything else for Yosemite?.

Got the same MacPro model and bought a $99 new NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2048 MB at Fry's and drive two monitors 21" no problem

Pro: cheap, new, works
Cons: no bootscreen

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

Hello people,

Thanks to all the responses about the card for my mac pro 1,1. I need an Nvidia Card to run CUDA based applications that also requires at least 1GB of vram on the graphics card. In this case which Nvidia series will be my best option considering the speed also?.

I appreciate the time of all the people posting their comments.

----------

Jamgold,

This card is plug and play? No need to do anything else for Yosemite?.

I picked up my GTX 570 that is factory over clocked for right around $200 used on eBay, that was 2 years ago. I have had a lot of luck buying used GPUs on eBay. Bought a GTX 285, 295, and the 570, all are still running strong. Here is a chart comparing all the cards in hierarchy http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Last edited:

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Pike's boot.efi: result when trying to boot Recovery HD (latest commit a82f6e6fcf)

PIKE: NO recovery boot mode!
PIKE: Calling LdrpKernelCacheValid()
PIKE: LdrpKernelCacheValid(0)
PIKE: LdrpKernelCacheValid(4)
PIKE: LdrpKernelCacheValid(1)
_

Commit d72541f34848 is out.

ilegal31

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Hennesie2000, thanks for the info,

Can anyone please explain which is the difference between the ASUS GTX 580 and the EVGA GTX 580?. Also these cards have to be flashed in order to be used with a Mac Pro 1,1 - 2,1 firmware updated, or they are just plug and play and they can be purchased from any PC electronics store.

Thanks.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hennesie2000, thanks for the info,

Can anyone please explain which is the difference between the ASUS GTX 580 and the EVGA GTX 580?. Also these cards have to be flashed in order to be used with a Mac Pro 1,1 - 2,1 firmware updated, or they are just plug and play and they can be purchased from any PC electronics store.

Thanks.

They are plug n play but you won't get a boot screen. You won't see anything until the desktop/login screen appears. You do not need to flash the firmware of the Mac, that is only for CPU upgrades.

As for ASUS vs EVGA it depends on the card. EVGA offers Super Clocked which are factory over clocked and ASUS offers the Direct CU II which are over clocked. EVGA also sells reference cards which can easily be identified by the cooler used. Typically a single fan towards the back of the card and a solid housing over the rest of the card. Reference coolers are great for getting the hot air out of the system because it blows it all out of the back. But, non reference coolers typically do a better job cooling an have multiple fans and are typically quieter. My GTX 285 was a reference card and it was very loud when gaming and the fan speed ramped up. My GTX 570 is a MSI Twin Frozr III and it is much quieter.

varsis

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2005
Thinking about getting one of these for my mac pro 1,1:
EVGA GTX560ti 02g-P3-1568-b1

Is this worth 50 bucks used?
From what I read this card should work on the mac pro. Anyone will be verify? That or a GTX650ti for 90 bucks new.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

Hennesie2000,

You are just awesome, you know your stuff, just one final question, would you please post information on how to flash these Nvidia cards?, or a reference to a tutorial?. Check this one out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-015-P3...=100010&prg=10778&rk=2&rkt=24&sd=171505443935

Thanks a lot.

I don't used flashed cards. From my understanding though it is easier to flash an AMD based card but you won't get cuda support if you use an AMD card. I am sure you can find a tutorial with a google search.

With that GTX 580 you might have an issue with power. I believe it has a 6 pin and an 8 pin. It could potentially draw more power than the Mac Pro is rated for and damage the board. You want to look for a card that has two 6 pin power connectors to be safe. The GTX 570 will have 2x 6 pin connectors. The 660ti, 670, 970 and 980 all have 2x 6pin. I don't know if the 970 or 980 have been tested on an early Mac Pro though and they are hard to find and pricey right now.

Last edited:

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Commit d72541f34848 is out.

result when trying to boot Recovery HD (latest commit d72541f348):

PIKE: LdrpKernelCacheValid(4)
PIKE: in LdrpKernelCacheValid(x)

then the Mac is rebooting immediately.

checkmate2006

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Hennesie2000,

Yes thank you for your hard work. I followed your instructions to the T but as you read my last post I have hit a wall and would like your insight on the issue.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hennesie2000,

Yes thank you for your hard work. I followed your instructions to the T but as you read my last post I have hit a wall and would like your insight on the issue.

Did you try getting the installer directly from Apple using the VM like was suggested? I got mine using my wife's supported MBP.

azimuthal

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
Solved this the issue was I was trying to install it to an SSD drive. Instead I had to install to my other HD and then Clone it to the SSD now working great :)

Running into a similar issue, been in rebooting loop now a couple of times. I have another HDD i can try, I'll see if that solves the problem rather than using an SSD.

Just out of curiosity, which SSD do you have? I'm using a Crucial MX100 256GB on a:

Mac Pro 1,1
2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
ATI RADEON 5770

azimuthal

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
Running into a similar issue, been in rebooting loop now a couple of times. I have another HDD i can try, I'll see if that solves the problem rather than using an SSD.

Just out of curiosity, which SSD do you have? I'm using a Crucial MX100 256GB on a:

Mac Pro 1,1
2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
ATI RADEON 5770

Just tried this again using an internal SATA spinning disk. Still same issue, going through a booting loop.:mad:

dz

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Just tried this again using an internal SATA spinning disk. Still same issue, going through a booting loop.:mad:

dz

If it is rebooting over and over before you get any screen, the mostly likely cause is that you didn't extract the kernel or you have mis-named the folder that it goes it.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If you want boot screens on same card, the an 8800GT 1GB is best.

If you can live without boot screens and play games, a used GTX 680 from any PC will be ideal.

If you want to run CUDA/OpenCL stuff then a used GTX570 2.5 or GTX 580 3GB is better. (again, no boot screens)

If you want modern reasonable power with no power cables, a GTX750 Ti is ideal. (no boot screens)

You could couple any of the above PC cards with a GT120 or 2600XT for boot screens. (The GT120 must specifically for EFI-32)

ilegal, the above is all still true

There is nothing to flash anything past an 8800GT to that offers boot screens on a 1,1

Sad but true

Only AMD used EBC code that allows later cards to work on older Macs.

So, if you want boot screens and use multiple displays, the ideal setup is a EFI32 card like 2600XT or GT120 coupled with whatever PC Nvidia card is supported by drivers.

That will give you boot screen on the EFI card and then the CUDA power of your powerhorse card.

There may be some situations where the GT120 will be too old for current CUDA.

There are no EFI-32 files for anything past an 8800GT, hence my telling you that. Flashing a GTX570 or GTX580 with an EFI you find (it will be one of mine) will NOT give you a boot screen, it will however reduce you to just 1 display.

You can take my word for this or spend hours searching for non-existent (or incorrect) info.

azimuthal

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
If it is rebooting over and over before you get any screen, the mostly likely cause is that you didn't extract the kernel or you have mis-named the folder that it goes it.

Unfortunately, I do get the boot screen, I am using the black one. I definitely extracted the kernel...i will double check the folder name though.

Otherwise, are there any difference between the two boot.efi files other than the grey or black boot screen?

Thanks for the suggestion.

The first time I initiate the install from the startup screen, it immediately goes to the black boot screen with the logo. Then I am prompted to continue, I point to a 2nd partition on the internal SATA HD (non SSD) I am using now and proceed to install Yosemite there. Unfortunately when that initial install is done and it restarts, it immediately goes back to the black boot screen and starts the process all over again. I have tried to run through it a second time but with no different results...it just keeps the loop going.

Thanks again.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Unfortunately, I do get the boot screen, I am using the black one. I definitely extracted the kernel...i will double check the folder name though.

Otherwise, are there any difference between the two boot.efi files other than the grey or black boot screen?

The first time I initiate the install from the startup screen, it immediately goes to the black boot screen with the logo. Then I am prompted to continue, I point to a 2nd partition on the internal SATA HD (non SSD) I am using now and proceed to install Yosemite there. Unfortunately when that initial install is done and it restarts, it immediately goes back to the black boot screen and starts the process all over again. I have tried to run through it a second time but with no different results...it just keeps the loop going.

Thanks again.

If you are getting to the installer then the kernel is fine.

azimuthal

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013

Thanks again.

Would these symptoms be expected if I had replaced the boot.efi in the CoreServices but not in the /Usr.../Standalone location? I think that may have been the issue. I just updated it so we will see.

Confirmed...I made the silly mistake of not updating both boot.efi files...once I did this the boot loop was finally over and I could finish the install. Thanks again to Tiamo-Piker and all the others that are contributing to making this process go as smoothly as possible. You guys are all heroes!!!

Now...to catch up on the vid card questions. To upgrade my 5770 or not, that is my next question :)

Last edited:

ilegal31

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Hennesie2000,

I just looked at the 3rd option that I had posted before and realize that one is the GTX 660, not the GTX 660ti, is there a major difference between these two versions?.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.