Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Paul Allen paid for 90% of Seahawks Stadium. No all football billionaire are the same.

The only reason he didn't pay for all of it was he felt the people of Seattle needed to show that they wanted to keep the team in Seattle.

Perhaps 90% of the $160 million or so that was privately funded? CenturyLink field is one of the stadiums in the NFL that have the highest funding provided by the public at about 60% of total stadium cost.

I think the Patriots owner paid for his stadium

Nope. Gillette Stadium had almost 20% of it's cost funded by the public.

The only stadium that I know of that was funded (privately) by the NFL, the team and its owners is MetLife stadium. I guess it's easier when two teams play in the same stadium, there isn't a need to go to the public for money.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Perhaps 90% of the $160 million or so that was privately funded? CenturyLink field is one of the stadiums in the NFL that have the highest funding provided by the public at about 60% of total stadium cost.

The only stadium that I know of that was funded (privately) by the NFL, the team and its owners is MetLife stadium. I guess it's easier when two teams play in the same stadium, there isn't a need to go to the public for money.

There isn't a need other than greed to go to the public for the money. Here in Sacramento we just went through all of that with the Golden 1 center for the Kings. Still a lot of very bitter tax payers. Old Arco (sleep train) Arena wasn't nearly as run down as they said it was, it's just a line they like to trot out to force the taxpayers out of more money for a new place.

If the Superdome can be tore up in a hurricane and get fixed for ~150 million, there is no reason you couldn't retrofit and fix up Arco for $50 mill rather than build a whole new stadium.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been reading some articles that NFL is witnessing some level of ratings drop, less people are watching the games then last year. Some of have attributed that drop due to the elections, but it seems that doesn't fully explain the issue, as the drop is across, Sunday, Monday and Thursday.

I'm one of those statistics, I've just not had the time or energy to be watching the games this year. I will also say the games are less fun to watch thanks to the No Fun League

Reactions: zioxide and Mousse

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
As a Red Wings fan I think no taxpayers money should never be spent on arenas. Want a big, top of the line stadium for your team? Fine, pay for it with your billionaire dollars.

Detroit is freaking bankrupt and yet the city handed over a cool 200 million for building the new Red Wings home. Personally I think it's absolutely disgusting and then all the grand openings are happening...you have those shaddy politicians there smiling and doing handshakes with all the billionaires ..of course it isn't their money they just sign the paperwork and often against the will of the citizens. Which alone should be enough of an offense to have a local re election.

I get the need for renovations I also get the desire for new stadiums but what I don't get is why taxpayers should pay for that. Because in my mind fans are already paying for this stuff with ever increasing ticket prices more and more sponsored stadium names..it just sucks. Also the irony is most studies have empirical evidence that the benefit to cost ratio of those super arenas is bad like real bad. Good thread on how too stand up against this crap http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ta...ons-of-dollars-for-sports-stadiums-2016-07-29

Not surprised the ratings are down I mean no Manning, Brady, Romo and then even no Newton like it or not but QB are driving ratings and I also think the stupid politics of Goddell are finally catching up to the NFL.

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Hmm..Somehow I was under the impression Allen paid for most of the costs.

Looked it up and sure enough. you are correct.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I've been reading some articles that NFL is witnessing some level of ratings drop, less people are watching the games then last year. Some of have attributed that drop due to the elections, but it seems that doesn't fully explain the issue, as the drop is across, Sunday, Monday and Thursday.

I'm one of those statistics, I've just not had the time or energy to be watching the games this year. I will also say the games are less fun to watch thanks to the No Fun League
The problem is Thursday Sunday and Monday. The league is watering down the product with crap games in prime time.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Redzone is great but I always have it on a second screen. I still prefer watching a game but nothing beats Redzone going alongside in a second screen.

nope. the game is toooooo boring. redzone or naught for me.
[doublepost=1476635333][/doublepost]
The problem is Thursday Sunday and Monday. The league is watering down the product with crap games in prime time.
this.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Panthers season is done.
CAR:
jLJ1xVI.jpg

But that missed FG didnt do no good.

Reactions: pachyderm

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Panthers season is done.
I don't think so - Atalanta took a nose dive before, so if they fall apart again, There's Carolina waiting to pick up the pieces - provided they start winning.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way, is how great and jovial Newton when he holds his press conference at the end of the game, when they win. He's all great and personal, but then when they lose, he's like a pouty 5 year old.

Be a man and except the loss and deal with the incessant questions. He's the leader in the locker room, and how he conducts himself will affect how his teammates comport themselves. Plus he's the face of the franchise, so stop acting like a spoiled brat.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think so - Atalanta took a nose dive before, so if they fall apart again, There's Carolina waiting to pick up the pieces - provided they start winning.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way, is how great and jovial Newton when he holds his press conference at the end of the game, when they win. He's all great and personal, but then when they lose, he's like a pouty 5 year old.

Be a man and except the loss and deal with the incessant questions. He's the leader in the locker room, and how he conducts himself will affect how his teammates comport themselves. Plus he's the face of the franchise, so stop acting like a spoiled brat.

It's not over until it's officially over but to me, the Panthers are not even remotely close to the team they were last year and even if the offense gets going, that secondary is still makeshift. With one more game against the Saints and Falcons, even if they split, that's 6 losses which doesn't leave room for error and looking at their schedule, they would be hard pressed to get 10 wins. If the team was exactly last years squad, I could maybe see them run their schedule but this team is completely different.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the Panthers are not even remotely close to the team they were last year
Agreed,
I attribute this partly to the superbowl hang over, plus losing some talent. No matter how they explain it away, losing Noman has hurt them a lot. Newton hasn't been the same, because teams are mimicking Denver, by hitting him hard. Unlike other QBs, once he runs, he's fair game. Also their front line is doing a worse job at protecting him.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Not much has changed from the post Super Bowl press conference. I agree completely with your analysis of Cam Newton.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion

It's the very reason I can't stand him. Reminds me of my older brother. Loves to make anyone else the butt of a joke, but is so thin-skinned he can't be one himself. You play a joke on him and he pouts, screams, and stomps around.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Was surprised to see Sherman explode yesterday on the sidelines. Happy we got the win. Yes Sherman committed PI on 4th and 10. No I don't believe the referee purposely didn't call it, just like the referees missed penalties the falcons committed. I hope to see Seahawks vs Falcons in the NFC Championship game with Kam, Frank Clark and Bennet back in.
[doublepost=1476753081][/doublepost]
Agreed,
I attribute this partly to the superbowl hang over, plus losing some talent. No matter how they explain it away, losing Noman has hurt them a lot. Newton hasn't been the same, because teams are mimicking Denver, by hitting him hard. Unlike other QBs, once he runs, he's fair game. Also their front line is doing a worse job at protecting him.

Is super bowl hangover a real thing though? I personally think super bowl hangover is a bunch of baloney. If anything I would think that the team would have boosted confidence that they're still the best(or second best) in the league and play great to try to reach the super bowl again.

Defense wins games. The broncos got it right keeping Von Miller around and if their defense is running on all cylinders at the end of the season again I can see them representing the AFC at the super bowl again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.