Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
If it was 32, 64 and 128GB, I would have to think very hard about paying $100 to go from 32 to 64GB. $100 to go from 32 to 128GB would be a no brainer. I don't use the full 64GB on my phone now. 128GB would be nuts. I guess for sure I'd download my entire music collection. I'd still have 30+ GB free.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
But Samsung has UFS storage.

But but but

80589.png

80590.png

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Didn't want to perpetuate the system of Apple ripping people off on storage.

You do realize that pretty much everyone poor or rich has a smart phone nowadays. It's pretty much a necessity...also they're not paid off in flat chunks usually. It's not going to make or break me, which is why I chose not to take part in paying extra for storage that should be standard. It was a ripoff.

#1. I agree that Apple stuck with 16GB far too long... and it was a rip... that being said...
#2. I didn't say that $100 was going to break YOU. I quoted someone else... and that someone else made the statement about people not having lots of disposable income. And in my opinion... it is true. If $100 is going to make or break someone... then... they should not be buying $650-750 smartphones.... especially outright. On payment plan.... maybe... but even then... if $100 will make or break you... you should probably be looking at something in the $200-$399 range... like a iPhone SE, OnePlus 3, ZTE Axon 7.... Moto G... etc.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The problem isn't the amount of memory storage..it's the pricing structure. It doesn't and shouldn't cost $100 for every incremental jump...which is why people like microsd cards. I bet the difference in price between a 32gb card and a 256 gb is not $400 which is what apple would have you believe.

Very true — of all tech in the last 5 years, digital storage has plummeted the most.

However, MicroSD cards are not vaguely comparable with Flash storage found in iOS devices and MacBooks. It's like comparing pricing for 5400RPM drives to SATA SSDs.

Reactions: Deelron

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'd like 256GB. That might tip the scale for me.

And, unlike so many here, I don't care if Apple sells a product I don't want-- I only care if they don't sell a product I do want...

Reactions: millydog

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
Very true — of all tech in the last 5 years, digital storage has plummeted the most.

However, MicroSD cards are not vaguely comparable with Flash storage found in iOS devices and MacBooks. It's like comparing pricing for 5400RPM drives to SATA SSDs.
The SD card doesn't have to compare to flash storage. Its only storing music, photos, videos and documents. Its not running iOS or launching apps.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
If you need more storage, cough up. 16Gb is a bit tight, but that's the cost of admission.

Apple don't want you using MicroSD. You'll have thousands of people putting cheap crappy cards into their phones tarnishing the reputation of the phone when they don't work properly.

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
PCIe SSD Blades >>>>>>>>> Flash memory on a phone.
The surface also has expandable memory,
If $100 is going to make or break you, you really shouldn't be buying a $650+ cell phone...
Just because i have the money doesn't mean im gonna spend it on something that isn't of value. Its called spending wisely, but you're a fanboy and will buy anything Apple makes.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Hmmmmm this may be the first time I don't got for the top tier. Happy with 128GB in my 6s Plus as I have a 256GB 9.7 pro for my movie needs.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Its is just 100 dollar difference. Or 20 cups of cappucino

If $100 is going to make or break you, you really shouldn't be buying a $650+ cell phone...

Quotes like these ignore the possibility that someone may be on a budget. That budget could be self imposed or hard capped due to necessity. From a customer perspective, 16GB seems a bit greedy. The cost difference between 16GB and 32GB storage can't be that much. The decision seems purely profit driven which is sort of divergent from Apple's "caring about the customer" mantra. Cynically, I say care only goes as far as it impacts profit. That's not just Apple. That's any company.

From a business perspective? Damn right it's profit driven. Moreover sales data would indicate most people don't care about the level of storage. They just want an iPhone... now. Down the line, when that storage is full, what does it really matter to the company? That customer's next iPhone will most likely be a higher storage option so the company wins anyway. Some would say the customer could leave. History hasn't proved that to be a likely consequence for the majority of iPhone buyers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.