Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
so would it be wise for one to clock wateva the card is back up to what its supposed to be???

that would most likely cauze he issues no doubt.

Yeah they underclock it so the logic board on the imac doesn't fry. You can overclock it if needed but take it slow. I would probably up it MAX 100mhz. Maybe for the 2600 XT more like 80.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yeah they underclock it so the logic board on the imac doesn't fry. You can overclock it if needed but take it slow. I would probably up it MAX 100mhz. Maybe for the 2600 XT more like 80.

yea thats what i do with my 1600, i only over clock it up about 120mhz, to the original clock of the pc cards. gets good performance out of that. doesnt run hot either.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
yea thats what i do with my 1600, i only over clock it up about 120mhz, to the original clock of the pc cards. gets good performance out of that. doesnt run hot either.

I've always wanted to overclock mine and i know what the numbers should be but i dont really know how to use ATItool (if thats what you used), what is your 1600 at now?. Did you overclock it on OS X or windows? Also, when finding max core/mem do you have to monitor it all the time or just let it run and tell you when it finds an artifact. If there are any instructions on how to use it please let me know where to find them.:) Thanks (sorry for all the questions, just dont want to fry my computer)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I've always wanted to overclock mine and i know what the numbers should be but i dont really know how to use ATItool (if thats what you used). Did you overclock it on OS X or windows? If there are any instructions on how to use it please let me know where to find them.:)

yea atitool is what i have used. i have been unable to overclock successfully with anything over 0.24b (thats the version name) its currently up to 0.25b i think now. try to find 0.24b.

overclocking can only be done in windoze, i havent found any tools (that are compatible with my aticard) for osx, most are for nvidia.

its really quite easy
open atitool.
there will be two sliders, frequency and memory.
drag them upwards by however you feel safe. safe for an x1600 would be up to a max of 420mhz frequency, ram up to about....440mhz. (this is before it overheats and freezes)

if freezing occurs, simply restart and the old clocks are set back.

here is a manual
http://www.techpowerup.com/wiki/doku.php/atitool/start

if you have any more worries dont hesitate to ask.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
If you can overclock on the Windows side, then playing games on the new iMac shouldn't be a problem as long as you are gaming on the Windows side. As far as on OS X, the verdict is still out. I would just overclock to the standard clocks on the Windows side and go to town. I know plenty of people that game and love it on laptops with worse cards than this Ati card that is in the new iMac.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
The more I think about it, the more I want to get one. Granted, I have a gaming PC, but it is gathering dust. I like the all-in-one solution the iMac offers and the less clutter. I haven't touched my gaming pc since I got my Macbook Pro when the Santa Rosa update came out. To be honest, I only get to game about once a month now anyways. My time is taken up more, surfing the web and checking my email and listening to music.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
yea atitool is what i have used. i have been unable to overclock successfully with anything over 0.24b (thats the version name) its currently up to 0.25b i think now. try to find 0.24b.

overclocking can only be done in windoze, i havent found any tools (that are compatible with my aticard) for osx, most are for nvidia.

its really quite easy
open atitool.
there will be two sliders, frequency and memory.
drag them upwards by however you feel safe. safe for an x1600 would be up to a max of 420mhz frequency, ram up to about....440mhz. (this is before it overheats and freezes)

if freezing occurs, simply restart and the old clocks are set back.

here is a manual
http://www.techpowerup.com/wiki/doku.php/atitool/start

if you have any more worries dont hesitate to ask.
Ok cool thanks. Do you recommend doing any of that artifact scanning or anything? If not ill just set the clock to about where you said.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Right after i set the sliders to 405-410 and click set clock the screen goes black. This supposed to happen?

that would be it freezing up... thats wierd, i haev the same card as you but it lets me go higher than that.
i would change the slider very slowly, give it time to warm and get used to the changes. maybe leave it 5-10minutes before changing.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
So is it safe to buy an iMac now? Are we in agreement that the graphics aren't as crappy as first thought? :D

paetrick

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
So is it safe to buy an iMac now? Are we in agreement that the graphics aren't as crappy as first thought? :D

:p I would by one even tho it had only PRO, iMac isn't a gaming machine, even tho it can play games fairly good :p

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
that would be it freezing up... thats wierd, i haev the same card as you but it lets me go higher than that.
i would change the slider very slowly, give it time to warm and get used to the changes. maybe leave it 5-10minutes before changing.

Well i kept moving it lower and lower than 400 and eventually it got to the point where it doesnt freeze, the screen just gets completely screwed up. But it doesnt get any better than that. Did your sliders read 400-410 when you moved them up? (if you had a screenshot for comparison that would be good)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Well i kept moving it lower and lower than 400 and eventually it got to the point where it doesnt freeze, the screen just gets completely screwed up. But it doesnt get any better than that. Did your sliders read 400-410 when you moved them up? (if you had a screenshot for comparison that would be good)

oh hhmm thats interesting. ill restart and get a screen shot for you shortly.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
here we go.
i rushed it a bit, but yea.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 192

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
Hey, what do ya know? It worked with the version you have. Core: 415 Mem:373

I'll try to creep it up as time goes on. Thanks again for the help:D time to see what the framerates do haha

I tried the performance test on CoH and i got an increase of 7 frames. Right now its at Core: 415 Mem: 400. Think i can get some more out of it?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hey, what do ya know? It worked with the version you have. Core: 415 Mem:373

I'll try to creep it up as time goes on. Thanks again for the help:D time to see what the framerates do haha

haha thats ok mate. im the help master!! nah.. not really. i hope your computer can handle it, it really should be sweet with it tho cauz mine is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.