Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
BrianKonarsMac said:
NOPE. Boo Ati!!! It has ONE dual-link DVI connection and ONE ADC connection (a nice nod to apple users...after Apple kills the ADC connector...dumb bastards, WE NEED TWO DUAL LINK DVI'S FOR THOSE OVERLY RICH SNOBS AND THEIR DUAL 30 inchers! Cuz hey, I hope to be one of those rich snobs someday :p.
Actually an ADC to DVI adapter is not that expensive. Also, one of the main benefits of the ATI card is that it takes one slot, not 2. A second (mentioned by others) is those who already have an ADC connector on their display. Amd finally, at the very least, it's some competition, and competition tends to improve products.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Sabbath said:
Also I'm interested in the power more than the voltage, as the voltage can be transformed as required, I thought the GeForce 6800 was so long because of the need to convert the power which would normally be used to power ADC to power the card,...

I said "probably" because I assumed that it would make more sense to use the power slot provided by the motherboard - rather than use a disk drive power connector and convert the 12v to 26v (DC to DC up-convertors are hot, cost money, and waste power).

If you look at the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac with the ADC connector, you can see that it doesn't have a molex connector and that it does have the extra fingers to connect to the non-standard Apple motherboard connectors.

R9800PROMacSeBoardShot_lrg.jpg

The Radeon 9800 Pro Mac without the ADC connector doesn't have the extra fingers, and it does have the molex connector (white block at the top right). (It also looks like the AGP connector itself is significantly wider on the ADC card)

R9800PRO_BOARD_SIL_lg.jpg

Just guessing about the X800 of course, but ATI's history is to use the Apple motherboard connector for ADC equipped cards.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
I think ATI was smart in what they did. Sure you can only connect one 30" monitor. But not a lot of people can afford one not alone two. It also helps those that only want one 30"er by not taking up two slots.

30Inches

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
Haha....no, I'm not that tall. The picture may look a bit deceiving, the desk is rather short. Adjusting the angle of the display is so easy and smooth to do. Here is another pic....

30.2.jpg

AidenShaw said:
I don't know if you're over 2.3 metres tall, but that display looks awfully high.

Normal ergonomic recommendations are to have the top of the display at or slightly above eye level. (To wit see http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/Ergonomics/compergo.htm#MONITOR or http://www.ergonomics.com.au/howtosit.htm, or yahoo! for "ergonomic computer screen height")

Let us know if you start having neck and back pains ;)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
While I'm happy that they're finally shipping and awed by the images coming from folks who already have theirs, I had to vote this topic negative.

These damn things were announced in JUNE. I mean love of god, June.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
frozenstar said:
I'd bet that both the X800 and the 6800 would choke with those settings. My 9800XT can run a 16-bot Onslaught match at 1680x1050 with good framerates, but that's with no FSAA or AF. The native res on the 30" has more than twice the number of pixels as the native res on my 20". That means the GPU is going to be taxed twice as hard just to maintain usable frame rates. And neither the 6800 nor the X800 is twice as fast as the 9800XT.
That's OK, I'm not getting a 30" until I have a G6 to go with it :D Time for GPUs to catch up to full-screen gaming at 2560x1600.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
The displays, announced along with the 20" & 23" counterparts in June, have been slow out of the gate due to production problems from NVidia in providing the required cards.

This can't be true, as worded, because NVidia doesn't make graphics cards. They let their partners make graphics cards. They may be having a hard time supplying the chips for the cards (but they are the same chips that PC users get, so I doubt it), but if any other aspect of the card was the hold-up, then it was Apple's fault, not NVidia...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
30Inches said:
Haha....no, I'm not that tall. The picture may look a bit deceiving, the desk is rather short. Adjusting the angle of the display is so easy and smooth to do. Here is another pic....

This picture is the best, it's awesome. The size makes it hard to get a real perspective. Hope that you have the proper ergonomics. I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. :cool:

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
I'd definitely get that X800 over the nvidia, but it bugs me on one thing though. I'd rather have the X800 with a DVI, VGA and S-Video out like my current Radeon 9800 Pro Retail. I have a VGA monitor (long live the 17 inch studio display) and I use S-Video for mirroring to a tv tuner so I can record video games off the G5.

So if I wanted the same setup, VGA monitor, and S-Video out going, I'd need a DVI-VGA (thats no problem) and ADC-DVI-S-Video (or DVI-S-Video, and ADC-DVI?-VGA)? Would that even WORK?

I really hope ATi puts out a version with DVI/S-Video/VGA...but I doubt it will happen.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
BJNY said:
The nVidia card can drive two 30" displays. Is this new ATI capable of that, too?

I believe the ATI will only drive 1 30” display, so you’re out of luck, poor you, however will you get by? :rolleyes: ;) Looks like a solid card though and definitely a viable alternative to the nVidia.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Great news, glad to see these monsters coming out to the masses! I’ll have to check the local shops around here to see when they get them on display – I’m thinking that the 30” can only be truly appreciated by seeing it in person. :cool:

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
The ATI x800 is great news. Not only is this card faster at certain things that then 6800 Ultra, but it only occupies a single slot! What a concept! :) When I order my G5 in the first half of next year I will get an x800 or similar card for the very reason that it will only take up a single slot. Plus, no matter what my DP Quicksilver came with, I tend to favor ATI cards.

I am receiving an HP 23" LCD today and I'm gonna need a nice new G5 to run it eventually...

30Inches

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
~Shard~ said:
I’m thinking that the 30” can only be truly appreciated by seeing it in person. :cool:

It's kinda like having your own little I-Max theater. I never saw one until it was on my desk....worth every penny.

Harry

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Mr. Anderson said:
I'm really looking forward to going to the Apple store and seeing these things in person. I think that dual 23" would be better than a single 30" but its still going to be a nice display.

Neener Neener! I already saw them back in august at Siggraph this year. UN FREAKIN BELIEVABLE. They had dual 30 inchers EVERYWHERE (Apple had the largest presence of anyone there) and it was staggering how great they were. They made as much of a buzz as anything else. Compared to any of the other LCD's there, the cinema displays blew them away (quality wise).

But, the CD's are pricier, so you get what you pay for

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
30Inches said:
It's kinda like having your own little I-Max theater. I never saw one until it was on my desk....worth every penny.

Harry

And that's saying a lot, as that's quite a few pennies! I believe it though - can't wait to see one myself... Enjoy!

BJNY

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
New York City
30Inches said:

30.2.jpg

With a plain 50% gray as your desktop picture, does the backlighting seem even left to right, and top to bottom?
Also, how many dead pixels does your 30" have?
Thanks and congratulations.
Envious,
Billy

wookitus

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
keysersoze said:
Hmmmm..... $6000+ Apple products.
$15 Halogen lamp from KMart.

Nice!
:)

I thought the exact same thing. I actually own that lamp. I'm not even sure it cost me as much as $15.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
benpatient said:
This can't be true, as worded, because NVidia doesn't make graphics cards. They let their partners make graphics cards. They may be having a hard time supplying the chips for the cards (but they are the same chips that PC users get, so I doubt it), but if any other aspect of the card was the hold-up, then it was Apple's fault, not NVidia...

Apple explicitly stated during the Q4 conference call that the delay was nVidia's fault. Furthermore, when I called Apple when my 6800 order was delayed, I was told that they could not give me an accurate timeline as it was an nVidia product rather than an Apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.