Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BS85

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2004
damn, the wait for this monitor has gone to 3-5 weeks, and my machine is expected early this week. i orginally didn't buy the 30" with the order cause i was hoping to pick it up earlier at the apple store, but i guess their shipping earlier online. does anyone know if any of the stores or online resellers have gotten their stock in? thanks

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
JGowan said:
I did this mock up based on a Magazine and a can compared with my new 23"... then once I got the sizes right, I matched them up with this shot of Apple's entire lineup... this is as accurate as I could get w/o a 30" of my own. Did I mention, I have a new 23"? :p

holy...... cow that thing is huge! a magiznie is as big and my screen... if i got one of those.... wow... i want one :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Once again, I don't think you can truly appreciate that thing (the 30" display) unless you see it in person. Who needs an HDTV when you have that thing....

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
fatfish said:
>How much heat are you talking about? Is it that bad that a fan is needed?

No, the fan is always there, but there really is plenty of heat from both the mac and the display. So much so that the fan has been on, and we are talking October in the North of England. and my room is 36' x 12', I'd sure not like to be in a 6' x6'.

I will admit that your mention of plenty of heat emanating from both the G5 and the 30" monitor causes me concern. Hope to hear what other owner comments are regarding this issue.

30Inches said:
Haha....no, I'm not that tall. The picture may look a bit deceiving, the desk is rather short. Adjusting the angle of the display is so easy and smooth to do. Here is another pic....

30.2.jpg

You have THAT nice of a computer and THAT nice of a monitor... and you couldn't afford a two button mouse!
;-)

Corrupted

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2004
Lewisville, TX
30Inches said:
Haha....no, I'm not that tall. The picture may look a bit deceiving, the desk is rather short. Adjusting the angle of the display is so easy and smooth to do. Here is another pic....

30.2.jpg

OMG You have a Dual 2.5 and a 30" Apple diplay and your on dial-up? It not to much more for broadband service:)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Corrupted said:
OMG You have a Dual 2.5 and a 30" Apple diplay and your on dial-up? It not to much more for broadband service:)

Broadband is at least $30 more a month. He may be on a strict budget. :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
~Shard~ said:
Yes, judging by his previous purchases, I'd say very strict. Poor guy... ;)

I wouldn't say he's a poor guy. Afterall he has that new 2.5 G5, 6800 Card, and 30" Dispaly. Either he has borrowed or used alot of his savings. So now he will have to watch expenses for a while. :D

30Inches

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
wdlove said:
Broadband is at least $30 more a month. He may be on a strict budget. :D

Well, after such a purchase I admit I am on a budget. But, that wire you see is for my house phone....I can't live with a dial up connection!!

And as for the mouse, I use a Kensington wireless Expert. ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
wdlove said:
I wouldn't say he's a poor guy. Afterall he has that new 2.5 G5, 6800 Card, and 30" Dispaly. Either he has borrowed or used alot of his savings. So now he will have to watch expenses for a while. :D

Actually, I meant "poor" as in unfortunate, not "poor" as in broke, but that works too.... ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
~Shard~ said:
Actually, I meant "poor" as in unfortunate, not "poor" as in broke, but that works too.... ;)

Actually I took your use of "poor" both ways. Either way he is using an awesome setup.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
wdlove said:
Actually I took your use of "poor" both ways. Either way he is using an awesome setup.

I'll second that. I can only hope to have a setup like that when it's time for me to buy some new Apple gear - that won't be for another couple years though. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to pick up a RevB G6 PowerMac and Apple's new 42" HD display. :cool:

KentP

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2004
almost there....

:) :) :) the 30" display and Nvidia's 6800 are on a FedEx truck as I am typing - out for delivery. :) :) :)

It will be tough waiting until I am off work to put it all together. Cough! Hack! I'm not feeling too well....cough!

I'll post pictures when I'm set. Anyone want to buy a ATI Radeon 9600 XT?

---edit--- I just got them. Oh My! What a big screen - sure beats mt 17" CRT. ;)

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
~Shard~ said:
Once again, I don't think you can truly appreciate that thing (the 30" display) unless you see it in person. Who needs an HDTV when you have that thing....

i agree, i saw it in person for the first time yesterday..... drool :D

Viridiana

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2004
New York City
Single-slot Radeon X800 for the 30"?

does anyone have new info on the Radeon X800 card that was announced recently?

http://tinyurl.com/6gytu

The fact that it only takes a single-slot is great, as well as the possible lower price. But I haven't heard anything concrete about availability or quality...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
KentP said:
:) :) :) the 30" display and Nvidia's 6800 are on a FedEx truck as I am typing - out for delivery. :) :) :)

It will be tough waiting until I am off work to put it all together. Cough! Hack! I'm not feeling too well....cough!

I'll post pictures when I'm set. Anyone want to buy a ATI Radeon 9600 XT?

---edit--- I just got them. Oh My! What a big screen - sure beats mt 17" CRT. ;)

Congratulations KentP, what am awesome purchase. Looking forward to a picture of your setup. It will be nice to see a different perspective.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Viridiana said:
does anyone have new info on the Radeon X800 card that was announced recently?

http://tinyurl.com/6gytu

The fact that it only takes a single-slot is great, as well as the possible lower price. But I haven't heard anything concrete about availability or quality...

I'm really looking forward to benchmark comparisons between this and the 6800 Ultra. The 6800 is superior on the Win/x86 side of things, but that doesn't necessarily hold true for Macs. If it's at least comparable in speed to the 6800 I'll definitely buy one. My 2x2GHz G5 needs a GPU to match.

The Woodman

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2004
My 30" experience

I received my 30" ACD and my Dual 2.5 PowerMac two days ago.

I would echo the comments of others regarding the 30" display. Everytime I come home and sit down at my computer, I just have to laugh. It is so large, I had to raise my chair, otherwise the top of the display was actually too high (initially, I found myself looking up to access the menu bar). It is wide, yes, but the height is what seems so different to me. I also find myself working in "areas" of the screen... like, "I guess I will work on the left side of the display for this project." Of course, for audio editing (which I like to do), the sound wave goes all the way across the screen. So cool.

Someone mentioned the heat issue. I don't think the 30" ACD puts out that much heat, really. It runs remarkably cool, considering how much light it is giving off. The Dual 2.5 box is another story, though...

I ran a pixel checker on the 30". I just had to know! This display has over four million pixels. I found one stuck pixel. Now THAT is some serious engineering. I have previously owned the 22" and 23" ACDs, and they were no where near this good from a pixel perspective.

Finally, this is the first LCD display that I have ever owned where I don't turn the brightness up all the way. It is such a phenomenally bright panel, you can actually nudge the brightness down a couple of notches, particularly if you are in a dark room.

I am truly flabbergasted by the engineering. Unbelievable, really.

Woody

wjchan

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2004
Apple vs IBM

29.7" vs 22.2"
2560x1600 vs 3840x2400 (2.25x the pixels)

The 2 browser windows are the same size in terms of pixels.

Attachments

• Apple 30 vs IBM T221.jpg
    Apple 30 vs IBM T221.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 7,422

wjchan

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2004
All you need is a dual-link DVI (not dual DVI) card on the PC side. The Quadro FX 2000, for example, has been around for over a year.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The Woodman said:
I received my 30" ACD and my Dual 2.5 PowerMac two days ago.

Someone mentioned the heat issue. I don't think the 30" ACD puts out that much heat, really. It runs remarkably cool, considering how much light it is giving off. The Dual 2.5 box is another story, though...

Finally, this is the first LCD display that I have ever owned where I don't turn the brightness up all the way. It is such a phenomenally bright panel, you can actually nudge the brightness down a couple of notches, particularly if you are in a dark room.

I am truly flabbergasted by the engineering. Unbelievable, really.

Woody

I really appreciate hearing your positive review of the 30" Display. It's good to know that that it doesn't produce all that much heat. I imagine that it will be awesome to view a DVD movie on the 30".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.