Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
BrianKonarsMac said:
NOPE. Boo Ati!!! It has ONE dual-link DVI connection and ONE ADC connection (a nice nod to apple users...after Apple kills the ADC connector...dumb bastards, WE NEED TWO DUAL LINK DVI'S FOR THOSE OVERLY RICH SNOBS AND THEIR DUAL 30 inchers! Cuz hey, I hope to be one of those rich snobs someday :p.

haha! well, i'm quite happy about the ADC actually. I just changed my 17" ViewSonic to an Apple 17". The reason was mainly that I get ADC, and therefore two cables less (the power cable and the keyboard extension cable) on my table. The Apple also has better picture in my opinion (and the design is from a different planet). So, it's good to see I can upgrade my NVidia FX5200 to a 256mb (or better) card someday if i feel like gaming.

30Inches

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
BJNY said:
With a plain 50% gray as your desktop picture, does the backlighting seem even left to right, and top to bottom?
Also, how many dead pixels does your 30" have?
Thanks and congratulations.
Envious,
Billy

Backlighting looks to be perfect, no complaints...everything looks even, left to right, top to bottom.

No, that's not my desktop picture, that was shot as soon as i fired her up. I have been looking for dead pixels, but I honeslty can't seem to find one! I hope I don't, but I did expect to find a few.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
TylerL said:
I had to do some tech support a week ago for this lady who couldn't understand why her old 17" Studio Display couldn't plug in to the back of her brand new G5.

After 5 minutes of explaining ADC and DVI and the location on the back of her tower, I realized what card she had.

...and how she was wasting it. :(

that's horrible! I would have asked her to trade the card to a one that will play with her 17" ;)

30Inches

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
wookitus said:
I thought the exact same thing. I actually own that lamp. I'm not even sure it cost me as much as $15.

HAHA, ok...the lamp belongs to my roommate and yes, it's a piece of junk. Turns off when it feels like it. I moved the lamp temporarily to make way for those massive boxes that take up my entire apt. I have another lamp that I use...I'll post a pic of it later to make u guys happy. :rolleyes:

GregGomer

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
What program is that running

jet3004 said:
I saw the combo today at the Digital Life expo in NYC...All I can say is...INCREDIBLE!

My pics:

g51.JPG

What program is that on the screen... looks a wee bit like motion? If so that's awesome cause the Nvidia card doesn't support motion.

Greg

erroneous

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2004
wookitus said:
I thought the exact same thing. I actually own that lamp. I'm not even sure it cost me as much as $15.

I'm in the UK and somehow have the black and the chrome versions of that lamp in my flat. I've only got a 23" though: bad priorities. ;)

Viridiana

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2004
New York City
Side-by-side with the 23"?

has anyone had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison with the 23" for brightness, overall picture quality? The Apple store here in NYC says they won't get 30"s till November (poo)...wanted to look before taking the $4-large leap but I don't think I can wait that long!

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
GregGomer said:
What program is that on the screen... looks a wee bit like motion? If so that's awesome cause the Nvidia card doesn't support motion.

Greg
First off thats ATi's X800 demo, Ruby, to show off the graphic power of the X800.

Second, Motion supports the 5200 Ultra and 6800 DLL.
Specs right off the Motion Page:

Minimum System Requirements

Macintosh computer with 867MHz or faster PowerPC G4 or G5 processor
4X AGP slot
512MB of RAM (2GB or more recommended)
Mac OS X v10.3.5 or later
QuickTime 6.5.1 or later
Display with 1024 x 768 resolution or higher (1280 x 1024 resolution recommended)

One of the following graphics cards:
— ATI Radeon 9800 XT (R360)
— ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
— ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (R300)
— ATI Radeon 9600 XT (RV360)
— ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (RV350)
— ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (RV M11)
— ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (RV M100
— nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (NV40)
— nVidia GeForce Go5200 (NV34M)
— nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (NV34)

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Got Mine

My Display was delivered 2 months ago, but had to wait for my G5, it arrived last Tuesday.

Excuse the mess on and around the desk, I have to work.

Only issues with the display are:

1. USB ports are not powered.
2. Gives off a lot of heat.

Attachments

• 4X1700012.jpg
    4X1700012.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,365

recursivejon

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2004
New York
fatfish said:

The USB ports should be powered, what did you try to plug into them? (i ghave a macally icekey+kensington trackball+camera hooked into the two ports on my 23")

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
fatfish said:
My Display was delivered 2 months ago, but had to wait for my G5, it arrived last Tuesday.

Excuse the mess on and around the desk, I have to work.

How much heat are you talking about? Is it that bad that a fan is needed?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
fatfish said:

As previously stated, the USB ports should be powered, however not powered enough for everything that requires a powered USB port. For example, a Griffin PowerMate should get the power it needs, but an El Gato USB EyeTV or an m-Audio MobilePre may not.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Has anyone tried watching TV from an EyeTV 200 or Formact Studio TVR on one of the 30" displays (or even the 23")? How does a standard definition picture like your basic cable TV stations look when played full screen on such a high-res monitor? :confused:

c0n

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
UK
the only problem

is that now all you guys with 30 inchers are going to get repetitive strain injury.

(due to large movements required to move cursor across the screen)
(im safe i only have a 15 inch , 1280 x 1024)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
c0n said:
is that now all you guys with 30 inchers are going to get repetitive strain injury.

That just sounds far too sick...

c0n said:
(due to large movements required to move cursor across the screen) (im safe i only have a 15 inch , 1280 x 1024)

Kay, you clarified yourself... ;)

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Back now

Been at the pub, so now I'm back I'll answer your Q's

>Work and play, I assume...? Or are you a professional darts player

You assume correct but most of my play nowadays is on my mac, but no I'm not a pro darts player, just use the darts to throw at the wife now and again.

>The USB ports should be powered, what did you try to plug into them? (i ghave a macally icekey+kensington trackball+camera hooked into the two ports on my 23")

Checked with apple and on sytem profiler. only 100 mA to the ports on the monitor.

>How much heat are you talking about? Is it that bad that a fan is needed?

No, the fan is always there, but there really is plenty of heat from both the mac and the display. So much so that the fan has been on, and we are talking October in the North of England. and my room is 36' x 12', I'd sure not like to be in a 6' x6'.

wookitus

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
fatfish said:

You assume correct but most of my play nowadays is on my mac, but no I'm not a pro darts player, just use the darts to throw at the wife now and again.

>The USB ports should be powered, what did you try to plug into them? (i ghave a macally icekey+kensington trackball+camera hooked into the two ports on my 23")

Checked with apple and on sytem profiler. only 100 mA to the ports on the monitor.

No, the fan is always there, but there really is plenty of heat from both the mac and the display. So much so that the fan has been on, and we are talking October in the North of England. and my room is 36' x 12', I'd sure not like to be in a 6' x6'.

I like how you hide the dock on your monitor even though you have 30 inches of screen to work with. That's awesome. :cool:

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Back now

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Phat_Pat said:
can anyone give us a comparison to these bad boys? For example maybe a soda can.... just so we can get an idea how big these things are. :eek:
I did this mock up based on a Magazine and a can compared with my new 23"... then once I got the sizes right, I matched them up with this shot of Apple's entire lineup... this is as accurate as I could get w/o a 30" of my own. Did I mention, I have a new 23"? :p

Attachments

• monitors.jpg
    monitors.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 395
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.