Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What bands?

I prefer a phone with more LTE bands that one with faster LTE.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
There's no need for a keynote now, Apple.
I'll just sit at my computer after 10am and refresh the apple page every five seconds. :rolleyes:

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Though in comparison to many other members here I'm a newbie, I think we can all say for a 48-hour span these are a TON of :apple: articles.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
This is exactly what the issue was. If they're planning even close to 80M units shipped, there is no way Qcom could deliver that much volume of their brand new 20nm silicon. They're barely supporting Korean variants of S5 and G3 that have been selling in tens of thousands rather than millions...
I'm still keeping the hope for 5.5" + MDM9635, but chances are probably slim to none.

For 20nm, it is TSMC, so I assume Apple could just make it part of their larger contract with TSMC. I know nothing about the RF process, though. I was hoping to see 9635 too - not for it, but for 3925, 23xx and 27xx. Really anxious to see how Qualcomm's new front-end compares in terms of size, power and capability.

Alas, the 5.5" PCB looks almost identical in the RF section from what I saw, so I wouldn't expect any different there.

For what it's worth, I think the iPhone 6 has a QFE11xx envelope tracker, though.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
yeah the leaks are really out of control

if they do present a watch though, they did a stellar job of preventing leaks

That is exactly why they WILL announce the watch....Because it isn't in production yet..Which is why there are no leaks. They can shock everyone with a new watch announcement on the 9th, and then not ship it until early next year. They don't have a watch yet so announcing it early doesn't hurt any existing products sales, and also allows them to bring that WOW factor. So be prepared to see some new (& most likely ultra cool) wearable device on the 9th. But then also be prepared to wait 4-5 months before you can own it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
yeah the leaks are really out of control

if they do present a watch though, they did a stellar job of preventing leaks

I would imagine that's b/c most of the leaks are supply chain/production side, and the iWatch/iTime hasn't gotten to that stage yet. When it does, there will be.

----------

That is exactly why they WILL announce the watch....Because it isn't in production yet..Which is why there are no leaks. They can shock everyone with a new watch announcement on the 9th, and then not ship it until early next year. They don't have a watch yet so announcing it early doesn't hurt any existing products sales, and also allows them to bring that WOW factor. So be prepared to see some new (& most likely ultra cool) wearable device on the 9th. But then also be prepared to wait 4-5 months before you can own it.

Hah. Great minds.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
For 20nm, it is TSMC, so I assume Apple could just make it part of their larger contract with TSMC. I know nothing about the RF process, though. I was hoping to see 9635 too - not for it, but for 3925, 23xx and 27xx. Really anxious to see how Qualcomm's new front-end compares in terms of size, power and capability.

Alas, the 5.5" PCB looks almost identical in the RF section from what I saw, so I wouldn't expect any different there.

For what it's worth, I think the iPhone 6 has a QFE11xx envelope tracker, though.
Yup QFE11xx is a given as it's pretty mature at this point. The first consumer UE with QFE1100 ET came more than a year ago in the form of Note 3, followed by Nexus 5...

With MDM9625 they have to go with WTR+WFR combo, which isn't the case with the 4th gen Gobi's. WTR3925 handles CA. But oh well, you could check out the new Note 4 which will have Cat 6 setup... At least we can expect ridiculous amount of RF ports, most likely TDD this time with B41 support in a single-SKU.

I'd like to see which antenna module they're using, as SkyCross has some very interesting stuff out there.

Anyhow, these are the RF ports supported in a MDM9625 + WTR/WFR which we should expect:

YT9QslG.png

Last edited:

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
For those of us in USA.. anything over 100mbs is a waste anyway... don't believe I've EVER seen LTE top 100 here (not yet at least).

Plus, unless you're using your device as a hotspot for a laptop, etc... is 150,250,300mbs even useful? I just don't see tiny devices needing that type of speed.

:apple:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Some observers had been holding out hope that Apple might use Qualcomm's even faster MDM9635 Category 6 modem as is reportedly lined up for Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Alpha handset, but with Apple's history of conservatism in choosing its cellular technology and questions about production ramp-up for the MDM9635 make it unsurprising that Apple has opted for the MDM9625.

I guess Apple's attitude when it comes to the iPhone (both inside and out) is "slow and steady wins the race". Ironically enough, the fact that Samsung is bold enough to charge forward with newer tech is what has people criticizing Apple when it comes to lack of innovation, at least as far as the iPhone is concerned.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Yup QFE11xx is a given as it's pretty mature at this point. The first consumer UE with QFE1100 ET came more than a year ago in the form of Note 3, followed by Nexus 5...

With MDM9625 they have to go with WTR+WFR combo, which isn't the case with the 4th gen Gobi's. WTR3925 handles CA. But oh well, you could check out the new Note 4 which will have Cat 6 setup... At least we can expect ridiculous amount of RF ports, most likely TDD this time with B41 support in a single SKU.

I'd like to see which antenna module they're using, as SkyCross has some very interesting stuff coming.

Anyhow, these are the RF ports supported in a MDM9625 + WTR/WFR which we should expect:

Do you have any whitepapers? Their site is pretty barren.

From the PCB, I'm guessing they're also using the Skyworks 78xxx multi-mode multi-band PA modules. Should cut down on number of versions needed.

or

"Stop me if you've heard this one ...."

A phone walks into a bar...

I hate myself

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I can't wait to see NFC released and see all the fanboys' mouth foam, considering they've been collectively bashing it for years.

The tag line for the event should really say, "Do we really need to say any more?"

Or, "You took the words right out of our mouth"

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
I'm just hoping this supports 700-A. Doesn't look like it though :/

For those of us in USA.. anything over 100mbs is a waste anyway... don't believe I've EVER seen LTE top 100 here (not yet at least).

Plus, unless you're using your device as a hotspot for a laptop, etc... is 150,250,300mbs even useful? I just don't see tiny devices needing that type of speed.

:apple:

I nailed 97.7 Mbps down the other day, and that's the highest I've seen so far.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Now we can use our paltry data buckets up that much faster! :p

You're going to figure out a way to watch Youtube even faster??????
& it's somehow tied to this new chip???????
Wow!!!!! I quite literally can't comprehend that (and I've got a computer science degree!)
Please do tell more details.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I guess Apple's attitude when it comes to the iPhone (both inside and out) is "slow and steady wins the race". Ironically enough, the fact that Samsung is bold enough to charge forward with newer tech is what has people criticizing Apple when it comes to lack of innovation, at least as far as the iPhone is concerned.

"Bold enough to charge forward" is one way of saying it.

"Willing to make sacrifices in order to scream 'FIRST!" on many aspects of hardware and software that no one cares about or uses" would be another.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
You're going to figure out a way to watch Youtube even faster??????
& it's somehow tied to this new chip???????
Wow!!!!! I quite literally can't comprehend that (and I've got a computer science degree!)
Please do tell more details.

If you read my other post later this is easy for really anyone to understand. (and should be obvious if you're a comp science buff)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple is feeding Feld & Volk these leaks in order to crank up the hype machine!

Hype Different

They don't need to leak to anyone to crank up the hype machine. Rumor sites and blogs will publish just about anything they come in contact with. A lot of WWDC was not leaked. The nMP wasn't leaked. If Apple was purposely leaking to create hype why haven't we seen any wearables leaks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.