Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenewone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
UPDATE: "Couria" is the solution, currently in beta from the repo: http://cydia.qusic.me

The beta is working great, but the final release should be making its debut onto the BigBoss repo soon :D

OLD POST:
In iOS, there is the native ability to quick compose a message. As soon as you are finished and "send" the message, the overlaid screen disappears and you are thrown right back into whatever app or screen you were in.

I know there are various "quick reply" and "quick compose" apps out there (BiteSMS is the only current one for iOS 7...and even that's still in beta), but it is so much more logical to just take advantage of this built in feature, rather than building a whole "app" from the ground up.

Let me explain...

As soon as you type a name into the "To:" box of a Quick Compose Messages window, your whole conversation with that person immediately appears (view the .GIF down below as a sort of demonstration). WE CAN USE THIS TO OUR ADVANTAGE by implementing just a tiny little tweak!!

When you click on an incoming message from the notification center (or alert window), it normally takes you to the main messages app, but what if it instead just redirected you directly to iOS's built in "quick compose" URL scheme? I think its something like "sms://"...it might be different, but I know its allowed to have a name after it (like "sms://person"), where "person" would be whoever the sender happens to be (which is basically the only real variable in all of this).

Anyone care to take a crack at it? Because I am DEFINITELY not qualified to go poking around in any iOS code myself lol :D

Attachments

• quickcompose.gif
    quickcompose.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 571
Last edited:

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Last year for ios6 I used a quick reply/compose that wasn't another app. Think it was called Messages. It used the stock iOS messaging but just enabled quick reply/compose. I have bitesms now but will definetly drop that for a more built in app.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Last year for ios6 I used a quick reply/compose that wasn't another app. Think it was called Messages. It used the stock iOS messaging but just enabled quick reply/compose. I have bitesms now but will definetly drop that for a more built in app.

Messages is awesome for QC/QR. Personally I use bitesms since I bought it years ago plus I love delayed sending and scheduled sending.

Messages is slick though.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Messages is awesome for QC/QR. Personally I use bitesms since I bought it years ago plus I love delayed sending and scheduled sending.

Messages is slick though.

I have had bite for many years but liked messages for the lightweight simplicity of it. Emailed developer but everything he replied is in Chinese... Here's his repo though.

http://cydia.clezz.com/

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
You can use the built in quick compose with activator. It puts you back in whatever app you were in and also pulls up the conversation when you type a name in... Looks like this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389321049.967396.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389321125.816161.jpg

thenewone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
You can use the built in quick compose with activator. It puts you back in whatever app you were in and also pulls up the conversation when you type a name in... Looks like this...

Yes I actually do have activator set up right now for the quick compose but I just wish there was a way to automatically launch this quick compose overlay from an actual message notification and have the sender's name be put in the "To:" box automatically.

----------

I think what he (and I) would rather have is a system where you can tap the notification to bring up the conversation and also the quick reply sheet.

Exactly.

Last edited:

thenewone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
If anyone knows the path/URL scheme to that quick compose feature that would be awesome...it turns out "sms://" (or "@sms:") takes you to the actual Messages app...and we don't want that.

Also, it would be great if anyone knows (or can point in the right direction) where the settings/definitions/rules are for Notifications so that we can know what/where to replace the original path (that normally takes you to the actual messages app) with this new path that directly pulls up this quick compose overlay...

I feel like we can seriously figure this out guys!

thenewone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
I just activated the gesture in activator. What more do we need? Works fine.

We want it to be automatically brought up when you tap a message notification from NC or the "reply" button on an alert, with the persons name/number automatically put into the "To:" box (so the conversation is immediately visible without you having to do anything else).

Currently with just an activator method, you bring up a blank sheet and have to manually put that info in, which is fine (and very useful) as a "quick compose" feature, but not very practical as a true "quick reply" feature.

We are after intercepting the code that normally takes you to the main Messages app and replacing it with code that takes you to this quick compose screen, putting the person's name/number automatically in the "To:" box. Then we would have a true "quick reply" feature using Apple's own built in framework. ;)

Last edited:

thenewone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
Found the perfect solution! A super simple (and FREE) quick reply for iOS 7!

It's called "Couria." The iOS 7 version is currently in beta from the repo: http://cydia.qusic.me ...but it will be available on the bigboss repo when the final version is released! The beta is working pretty well though :)

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011

It's called "Couria." The iOS 7 version is currently in beta from the repo: http://cydia.qusic.me ...but it will be available on the bigboss repo when the final version is released! The beta is working pretty well though :)

Couria is great if all you need is quick reply and quick compose. As you said, it is in beta , but as of the most recent update I have had absolutely no issues with it. I personally don't need the extra features of biteSMS. The fact that it is free is also great.

thenewone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
Couria is great if all you need is quick reply and quick compose. As you said, it is in beta , but as of the most recent update I have had absolutely no issues with it. I personally don't need the extra features of biteSMS. The fact that it is free is also great.

Exactly...biteSMS has a ton of bells and whistles that I just don't need (and costs $8 to remove ads)...all I wanted was streamlined simplicity, and Couria does this perfectly...for free :D

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011

I was getting ready to post this. I love Couria. Very nicely done and so convenient ;)

Tigrao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Couria seems to be working great for me except for the fact that I have lost all alert sounds when my device is locked. Has anyone else experienced this?

thenewone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
Couria seems to be working great for me except for the fact that I have lost all alert sounds when my device is locked. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hmm...alert sounds are still there for me when locked so I'm not sure what's goin on there

Tigrao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Hmm...alert sounds are still there for me when locked so I'm not sure what's goin on there

Wow... Do Not Disturb was on. I feel horribly embarrassed. See the "macrumors newbie" title below my name?

Last edited:

Kaiser99

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
How are you guys activating the quick compose? I can only use quick reply it if someone has already messages me?thought there was a CC toggle but cannot locate it

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
It does work well -- but how damn ugly is that old ios6 style window? Got to update that asap

tvotony

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
How do you set it so that when you receive a message it pops up and do not have to open the NC for it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.