Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
55" OLED, in Apple quantities, is a fantasy.

Either they made it up, or they rumor monger confused the display on the remote (iPod Touch?) with the display of in the, ah, display.

55" in anything but tech demo quantities is a fantasy.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
This all seems really odd. Id much rather just have a new ATV style device to plug into my TV.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
If they were to come out with a TV - it would be offered in a single size, which Apple would deem to be "sweet spot". Probably somewhere between 32"-42".

Sweet spot for whom? City dwellers with small studio apartments? Until recently, they sold a desktop monitor that was already 30-inches. I think they'd aim higher for a TV. And unless they hit 60 inches, I'm not even thinking about it.

And this encapsulates the problem that Apple would face. Too many people have too wildly differing needs. I beleive only one thing about this rumor, that if Apple did enter the market, they would sell (at least) three sizes. They do it with most of thier other products (in terms of features often, sometimes in terms of size as well). Because for some people 32-42 IS the sweet spot. For others, that doesn't remotely come near the sweet spot. And I agree with those that say stocking these things would be a logisitcal nightmare.

The ONLY option that really makes sense and is consistent with what was said iin the book is that, whatever Jobs meant by "cracked it," will be incorporated in the AppleTV unit. The actual screen is an accessory that Apple will be happy to let you buy from another manufacturer at razor thin margins.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
55" OLED next year is not so surprising, both LG and Samsung have promised that it'll be available in time for the Olympics.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/21/2577416/lg-samsung-55-inch-oled-ces

You just know Apple will go that extra for higher quality and design flexibility (imagine how thin that's going to be)

Never thought they would settle with LCD tech currently on the market.

The same article mentions production runs in the tens of thousands of unit. That's not apple volume.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I think Steve was just shopping for a new TV for himself. And analysts went crazy. Now they have to keep escalating or they'll look foolish. (in their eyes, we already see it that way) By March, it will be 100" and holographic. (100" cubed)

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
TV's DO NOT need to do ANYTHING but display a picture. Anything else is upgrade-ware. The stuff that makes you want to buy a new TV every year. Sorry, not going to happen. I'll swap out my components all day long but a new TV more frequently than every 7 years? Forget it.

Totally agree, my 73" DLP needs to do one thing for me, ..display the images that my Tivo, Apple TV, PS3, & Xbox360 send to it, on as large screen a screen as possible, at a resolution of 1080p.
It won't be obsolete until it stops doing that one thing.

But, Apple will of course build in some "killer feature" into the Apple Television that will change all that, even though they could do it in a $99 hockey-puck like the Apple TV sitting beside my current Television. Thus forcing us to buy a $4-5000 smart TV that will be obsolete every couple of years if we want that feature. Oh, and if this report is to be believed, also take me from a 73" screen, to a paltry 55".

How can I love and hate the same company so much at the same time.....

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
I wish this c##p about an Apple Television set would just stop. It's just not going to happen. It's Just Not.
That's all.

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Ehh, A5? I don't think Apple is gonna put an A5 chip in such a device. Also I think that the size of the TV will be determined by the market and whats selling. The A5 chip has already proven it's self but I think that we will see an A6 chip in the Apple Television. Can you say Quad Core? Maybe a Quad core but most likely a dual core. Save the Quad core for MB Air. :D :eek: :D

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Unless the GPU inside the A6 is significantly boosted from published PVR6 specs, we're looking at sub-PS3/360 gaming performance.

Not sure that would be such a great thing...

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
The same article mentions production runs in the tens of thousands of unit. That's not apple volume.

Yes, but that's pre-Olympics numbers.

I think the rumours were placing an Apple TV closer to the end of the year, so until then they can "expand them to a mass production system, observing market reactions,"

----------

They've been promising that for two Olympics already.

Third time's the charm :) Also the TV market is taking a huge beating, they can well do with a novelty.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
I call BS on all these Apple TV rumors. No one had anything to say previously and then all of a sudden, when it's 'outed' in the biography, everyone now has these exclusives.

Indeed. None of it makes any sense. Consider:

There's much ado about people not wanting to connect another set top box. So then it would seem the correct number of boxes is either zero or many. After all, I don't think the new ATV will replace my PS3, right? So what's the difference between PS3 and ATV, and PS3 alone? Nothing really, I still have to plug in cables and deal with inputs.

And maybe this isn't the case in the US, but I suspect the situation is the same as here in Cannuckia: the cable companies simply aren't going to let you eliminate their crappy cable boxes. They'll talk about it, but it will be one of those cases where you simply can't do it - like CableCard. Apple might go all-internet, but who really expects that to happen in the short term?

But consider that further… reverse the argument. I think my TV is just a large monitor I connect things to it like my computer monitor. Those things change over time. If I try to build those into my TV, am I supposed to throw it out when a new game machine comes along? No. The proper solution is to have *nothing* in the TV, just the monitor, speakers, and a bunch of HDMI. Does anyone disagree? If so, do you think Apple would get that utterly wrong?

And then there's Siri inputs. Give me a break. Siri can't tell the difference between me and the radio, and doesn't work well at all if its noisy (just try it in the Apple store). So Piper thinks we can voice command our TVs? Really? With my wife in the kitchen asking me what I want to eat, and the kids playing YouTube on the laptop? There's no way this is going to work.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe another ATV is coming out. My difference of opinion is that it will be just like the current ATV, a little black box. Except it will have 1080p and some way to stream live TV. That's all anyone needs on top of what we already have. If you want Siri, that's easily possible in the iPhone Remote app. I'd personally love to see an antenna input and links between that an an online TV guide (even in a separate box), but I can live without that.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I use a 37" HDTV for my display & TV. I could see using something up to 47".

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
They better have something considering what Microsoft is doing with the xbox, looks to be a push into your home and the center of all digital. :rolleyes:

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
I think this will happen. I am torn. I know Apple TV will be amazing and easy to use.... probably better than any other user interface in television. I am not a gamer but a huge film/cinema fan, I think Plasmas have the best film-like picture available. LCDs are brighter but more problematic if you are not sitting close to dead center. Plasma is the ay to go for film fans. This is a different beast.

And if Steve Jobs said he cracked it. You know he "cracked" it!

bEEarCUB

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I still think the idea of an Apple TV is sort of absurd. Who is going to replace a whole TV just for the interface that could have been added as an external device anyway?

What about when Apple TV 2 comes out? Are you supposed to buy a whole new TV just to get an interface / OS upgrade?

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
If Apple do this, then it's going to revolutionise the TV market, it won't be a TV with built in ATV2....

Could it have:

1) OSX built in?
2) not a tv at all but some kind of projector?

Think outside the box, they will rethink the whole thing.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
^^ Yeah, that's feasible, have an Apple TV or iPod like device that docks with the TV and provides its brains, but to date this kind of thing doesn't work well -- Apple keeps changing their docking standard, even though the pins are the same, etc.

I'm curious how this plays out. I'm pretty happy at this point with my 2006 TV. Imagine if I were still using my 2008 iPhone? I don't want a TV that's going to demand I upgrade once a year. :(

All of the newest smart televisions have cpu's and graphics chips in them. I think most are using ARM or a derivative thereof. So that's how it is with smart TV's. Built-in computers basically.

Hopefully Apple will do it right and have a module one can replace easily otherwise users will be stuck with the same "computer" just like all the other smart televisions.
My Vizio in my bedroom has one and it had a firmware update a couple of months ago that added functionality to it.
I really don't see having to upgrade the computer components as long as the GUI overlay is done properly.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
If Apple do this, then it's going to revolutionise the TV market, it won't be a TV with built in ATV2....

Could it have:

1) OSX built in?
2) not a tv at all but some kind of projector?

Think outside the box, they will rethink the whole thing.

If option 1, then it's likely to just be the new iteration of the iMac...

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
TV and gaming/multimedia powerhouse, with masses of content ready to roll in one unit. This is pretty exciting, the more you think about it, there's nothing else out there that comes close to competing. It's bound to happen.

Yay! Angry Birds on an overpriced 55" TV with new fangled ports that are incompatible with anything that you currently own!

I can't wait either! :rolleyes:

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I hope the bezel is super thin on the 55" TV. I have a 52" Mitsubishi LCD TV which has a width of 47.2 inches which fits perfectly into a 48" wide nook. My next TV will have to do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.