Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Don’t you just love it when people on this forum brag about a solution they found, but then don’t tell the rest of us how they did it?
MacRumors had multiple articles on it, and it was one of the most frequently mentioned things regarding the action button after release, so one would assume that forum regulars know about it.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Looks like a request to me.
But I wasn’t attacking you personally (although I admit my unfortunate use of the word “brag” was harsh - my apologies), I was pointing out a common behavior on these forums that causes great frustration for readers.
The question was asked after my initial post. If I had seen it sooner and subsequently had time to reply, I would have. I post when I can.

No worries! I know you’d have answered if you would’ve seen it, but I appreciate the step by step video. I like when I can follow along with my phone in hand - I might actually be able to get it to work in that case!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have mine set up to do different things based on its position.

If I am holding my phone normally or it is laying face up/down, silent switch.
If the phone is upside down (like in my pocket) flashlight.
If my phone is sideways, it activates the camera.
Wait a minute - how do you make THAT happen? Is that included the above video? That seems really useful!

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
For me, I have it set up to run a Shortcut that launches Launch Center Pro, which I have set up with links to multiple Shortcuts. I’d paid for Launch Center Pro years ago (back before Shortcuts got acquired by Apple, actually) and used it to launch Workflows (what are now Shortcuts). So that was an obvious choice for me.

I have a couple of groups in Launch Center Pro. One group contains shortcuts that open Transit to my most frequent destinations. Another group contains shortcuts that trigger various HomeKit scenes. And the third group has Shortcuts I’ve written that scrape the local National Weather Service office’s website for forecast info and spotter activation statements. I’ve got plenty more space for other options, so there’s more I can do with this solution.

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
I disabled mine. Got tired of hitting it accidentally
Let’s assume you’re not using a case. Ok fair enough. But you have to push… and hold… to activate it.

Do you pick it up with a claw-like grip? And are you able to feel yourself pressing a button? You’d have to pick it up, feel the button, do nothing about it, and then sigh because you hit it “accidentally”.

• Haha
Reactions: TeeWrecks

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Wait a minute - how do you make THAT happen? Is that included the above video? That seems really useful!
Probably has it set to run a Shortcut that has a conditional statement depending on phone orientation. Shortcuts is really powerful when you dig into it, which is part of the reason why I wanted to be able to launch more than just one Shortcut.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
No worries! I know you’d have answered if you would’ve seen it, but I appreciate the step by step video. I like when I can follow along with my phone in hand - I might actually be able to get it to work in that case!
Give that article a read. It has a lot of good information for you.

Reactions: ssledoux

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Initially I had mine set to do nothing but since then I have configured for torch/flashlight

I have no need to use Silent Mode as I tend to have a Do Not Disturb Focus Mode on permanently with a list of exceptions for those people I'm happy to hear from.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Let’s assume you’re not using a case. Ok fair enough. But you have to push… and hold… to activate it.

Do you pick it up with a claw-like grip? And are you able to feel yourself pressing a button? You’d have to pick it up, feel the button, do nothing about it, and then sigh because you hit it “accidentally”.

When I hit it accidentally, for less than two seconds, I would get an error message, so I disabled it. I use the volume up/down buttons to adjust my volume on my airpods in workouts and the extra button was just in the way.

marlman

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I have set mine up using shortcuts to show all my store cards.

So now it is easy when I’m out shopping just one press of the action button then select relevent store card and then Apple Pay and done!
IMG_0255.png

marlman

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
After reading previous suggestions I have now changed it to use the orientation shortcut. If the phone is in landscape right it brings up the camera any other orientation it brings up my shopping cards!
IMG_0260.png
IMG_0259.png

JBinPDX

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
IMG_0053.jpeg

This is mine. I had it set for camera at first, but that was pretty useless. Camera will probably come out of this list, too, as soon as I figure out a different shortcut I want there. I probably use shopping list the most — it just opens my list in Reminders. But this is a way easier method of getting there.

kingspat

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I have it set with a shortcut for toggle Orientation lock + brightness to 100. So when I am watching a video I can hit it and watch my video in landscape and then hit it again when I'm done to lock orientation again without reaching for the control center

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Is there a way to change what the action button does depending on what focus mode you're in? I checked the settings and can't find anything. If not, that would be something handy for iOS 17.

I have it set to open a barcode to punch in at work. But it would be great if that was the action button shortcut only in my work focus.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Is there a way to change what the action button does depending on what focus mode you're in? I checked the settings and can't find anything. If not, that would be something handy for iOS 17.

I have it set to open a barcode to punch in at work. But it would be great if that was the action button shortcut only in my work focus.
Yes, you need to use a shortcut. Mine does one set of actions if I'm in a particular focus mode, and if not it is time dependent. I've screenshotted the focus mode part of my shortcut.

1699222296989.png

Reactions: nxt3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.