Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Wish I knew how to do that
  1. Go into shortcuts
  2. Create a new shortcut
  3. Tap add action
  4. Either
    1. Under Categories tap Scripting then scroll down to Device and tap Set Always on Display - or,
    2. use the search box to search for Always and tap on Set Always on Display
  5. Tap on "Turn" to make it read "Toggle"
  6. Save the shortcut
Now test the shortcut and it should toggle the AOD setting. Assuming it does then you can now go into Settings, Action Button, choose Shortcut and then choose the shortcut you just made (which unless you named it should be called Set Always On Display).

• Love
Reactions: thatJohann

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
  1. Go into shortcuts
  2. Create a new shortcut
  3. Tap add action
  4. Either
    1. Under Categories tap Scripting then scroll down to Device and tap Set Always on Display - or,
    2. use the search box to search for Always and tap on Set Always on Display
  5. Tap on "Turn" to make it read "Toggle"
  6. Save the shortcut
Now test the shortcut and it should toggle the AOD setting. Assuming it does then you can now go into Settings, Action Button, choose Shortcut and then choose the shortcut you just made (which unless you named it should be called Set Always On Display).
Exactly what I needed. Thank you!

Reactions: AlecEdworthy

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Changed from Camera to using a Shortcut. Depending on orientation of iPhone:
1. Landscape Left: Camera (Photos)
2. Landsape Right: Camera (Video)
3. Portrait: Camera (Selfie)
4. Face Up: Silent Mode Toggle
5. Face Down: Toggle Torch

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Changed from Camera to using a Shortcut. Depending on orientation of iPhone:
1. Landscape Left: Camera (Photos)
2. Landsape Right: Camera (Video)
3. Portrait: Camera (Selfie)
4. Face Up: Silent Mode Toggle
5. Face Down: Toggle Torch
can you share?

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
When using the action button to open a menu of functions is there a way to display the status toggle functions like, for example, "Mute/UnMute" or the "Live Focus" in the menu?

It would be great to be able to see what my Mute status is when I open the action menu rather than having to toggle it first to find out.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
When using the action button to open a menu of functions is there a way to display the status toggle functions like, for example, "Mute/UnMute" or the "Live Focus" in the menu?

It would be great to be able to see what my Mute status is when I open the action menu rather than having to toggle it first to find out.
I guess you could have a series of conditionals which read the current state of the toggles (silent/ringer, torch on/off etc), set text variables to the appropriate result (e.g. Toggle ringer off, Turn torch on etc) and then build the menu from those text variables rather than a static list of items? Sounds complicated, and not sure if you could build the menu from the text variables rather than predefined text strings.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
Thanks that makes sense. I was hoping someone may have already done it in order to give me some pointers.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
Actually just realised that if I turn off the Location Services icon then then you can see the mute icon top left by the clock so actually that is a good work around.

jayjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
Hi,

I really like the new action button, but depending on the situation I'd like to have it as mute or camera.

I'd like to create 2 shortcuts for my home screen:
- set action button on mute
- set action button on camera

I've created shortcuts before but I can't find the right settings for this.
Who can help me out? :)

jayjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
I just want to change the settings for the action button and not execute the action button.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Do a shortcut that prompts asking if you want to do mute or camera and assign that to the action button. Then when you press the action button you just choose which you want.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I just want to change the settings for the action button and not execute the action button.
Then I’m very confused because you seem to want to run a shortcut to “set action button on mute”.
That’s what I meant. You can’t run shortcut to “set action button“ to do something. You can only do the reverse: set action button to do a shortcut. AFAIK anyway.

jayjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
Let me clarify what the exact steps of this shortcut should be:

1. Go to settings
2. Action button menu
3. Select mute (or camera)

I could live with it if this is not possible but it would be nice :)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Let me clarify what the exact steps of this shortcut should be:

1. Go to settings
2. Action button menu
3. Select mute (or camera)

I could live with it if this is not possible but it would be nice :)
AFAIK not possible. The method @bransoj redommend is probably the best way.

iltwtv

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010

Nate455

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
Would probably expand over time to be based on my focus modes as well, but for now, I set this up;
  1. Get current song
  2. if current song has any value
    1. add current song to playlist x
  3. otherwise
    1. recognise music (Shazam) -- also saves to library
    2. if recognise music doesn't have any value
      1. open shazam
Thanks for sharing this

Reactions: dhruveonmars

lllusion

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
I created a shortcut which toggles between normal and large text size, and assigned that to the action button. Now it's perfectly easy to switch between the modes.
Would you mind showing/posting the steps, or share the shortcut?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.