Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thefan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Wondering what everyone's preference is? I can't decide whether or not to disable mine. Seems like it comes on a little too much with every wrist turn. After all, it does come on with the simple tap on the screen. I would think awaking the display every few seconds is going to affect the battery life tremendously.

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
Agreed when i get mine I think I would disable it as yes I raise my wrists a lot at work and don't need to see the time every single time i do so

Thefan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Agreed when i get mine I think I would disable it as yes I raise my wrists a lot at work and don't need to see the time every single time i do so

Yeah me too, I turn a lot of pages, lift books, papers, write, etc. Normal stuff seems to keep waking it up, haha.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Wondering what everyone's preference is? I can't decide whether or not to disable mine. Seems like it comes on a little too much with every wrist turn. After all, it does come on with the simple tap on the screen. I would think awaking the display every few seconds is going to affect the battery life tremendously.

I would keep it on as it makes the watch seem more like a watch!

;)

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I get quite a few false positives in terms of how often I actually want the face to activate, but that's a small price to pay for hands-free operation.

I'm definitely keeping mine on.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I leave it on. No problems with battery life so far and really like not having to press anything to see the time.

Reactions: jaymc

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
If I can't raise my wrist and see the time what kind of watch am I wearing exacty? if my other hand is busy am I supposed to use my nose to touch the screen?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I leave it on. No problems with battery life so far and really like not having to press anything to see the time.

Agree. I have it on and I've never had less than 20% battery remaining at the end of the day, and even then that was at 2 AM. I've had it on for 12 hrs today already, just finished a 3 mile walk with the dogs running Runkeeper app and I'm at 60%. And all this on my wife's 38mm watch (my 42mm will be delivered Monday ;)), with its supposedly lesser lesser battery life.

Thefan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
If I can't raise my wrist and see the time what kind of watch am I wearing exacty? if my other hand is busy am I supposed to use my nose to touch the screen?

I was of the similar mindset, and if the watch had better battery life and had an option to leave the display on permanently, I wouldn't even be asking this question. I would love to leave the display on permanently, it looks awesome. Surprised it doesn't have that option, but then again, the battery life was probably the issue.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I was of the similar mindset, and if the watch had better battery life and had an option to leave the display on permanently, I wouldn't even be asking this question. I would love to leave the display on permanently, it looks awesome.

That part depends. If I could leave the screen on at it's lowest brightness and get at least 10 hours out of the battery I would.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I don't have the watch yet so pardon the question, but does the screen turn on when you simply tap the screen or do you have to press the digital crown?

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, I like it. It goes on when I move my arm like most people would when looking at their watch. Up and pivot to see. Goes off when I lower my arm. Doesn't stay on the whole 4 seconds unless I hold it still to look at it. Battery life has been good.

Thefan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
I don't have the watch yet so pardon the question, but does the screen turn on when you simply tap the screen or do you have to press the digital crown?

It'll come on just by tapping the display as well.

Glene

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ft Lauderdale
I leave it on....it doesa good job of not always flashing on and only when the wrist move is deliberate. Makes little diff in batt life for me.

Last edited:

Sphyrna

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Until I have a problem with battery life and the watch not lasting all day I'm leaving it on. Yes, it turns on sometimes when I wasn't raising my arm/wrist to see the time. But I would rather have that than have to touch the screen or press the crown every time I want to see the time.

scottburrow

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I'm going to turn it off and just tap the screen. I don't really need to know the time, that much to be honest. I'm more interested in keeping my iPhone 6 plus in my pocket.

How many people actually care what time it is every minute?

I'm a guitar player, I can just imagine how often it would come on!

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
On always. Sometimes it gets annoying like driving and the screen turns on when I turn but I think it's so cool when I actually mean to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.