Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thefan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
I leave mine on, it's easy and having to hit the button every time is ridiculous

Believe it or not, you can just tap the screen as well. Even though you're still using two arms, which would eventually be a pain in the ass too.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Wondering what everyone's preference is? I can't decide whether or not to disable mine. Seems like it comes on a little too much with every wrist turn. After all, it does come on with the simple tap on the screen. I would think awaking the display every few seconds is going to affect the battery life tremendously.

Nay for me!

I turned mine off as I burn too much battery otherwise and I don't need my clock popping up when I am moving...

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
If I can't raise my wrist and see the time what kind of watch am I wearing exacty? if my other hand is busy am I supposed to use my nose to touch the screen?
Tried the nose activation. It does not work unfortunately. When I am at work it is 'touch to activate' and when I go for a run in the evening it is 'raise to activate'. Works out fine.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
It is great to have the option to turn of wrist raise activation. I leave mine on as I am a lifetime watch wearer, so I'm used to glancing at the time when out and about. Apple Watch provides me even more than just time, such as next appointment, time left on a countdown timer, notification indicator, current date, etc. Wrist-raise is also great for the workout app.

I thought I would want an "ambient mode" like Android Wear has, where the face stays on most of the time at a greatly reduced brightness and with no animation. The wrist-raise trigger on Apple Watch has been so much more reliable than Android Wear that I don't feel the need for ambient mode as much. There are a few cases where with a mechanical watch on my arm flat on my desk that I might glance down to see the time, but a quick slight tilt of the wrist in that situation turns on Apple Watch even then.

I especially like that Apple Watch saves power by immediately turning the display off when you lower your arm back down. It is like a privacy screen.

Reactions: Crazy Matt

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I've had mine on raise to activate since day 1 (so about 5 weeks now) - I have only had to enter power save mode ONE DAY in the past 5 weeks, and I'm thinking that was due to something other than raise to activate. Even then, I manually entered power save mode while I was on a 3 hour drive as a precaution, not because it entered into power save on its own. I don't see myself turning off such a basic and useful feature anytime soon. I bought the Apple Watch to have information I need at a glance of my wrist, I often don't have a free opposite hand to tap.

bh85

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Midwest
It is great to have the option to turn of wrist raise activation. I leave mine on as I am a lifetime watch wearer, so I'm used to glancing at the time when out and about. Apple Watch provides me even more than just time, such as next appointment, time left on a countdown timer, notification indicator, current date, etc. Wrist-raise is also great for the workout app.

I thought I would want an "ambient mode" like Android Wear has, where the face stays on most of the time at a greatly reduced brightness and with no animation. The wrist-raise trigger on Apple Watch has been so much more reliable than Android Wear that I don't feel the need for ambient mode as much. There are a few cases where with a mechanical watch on my arm flat on my desk that I might glance down to see the time, but a quick slight tilt of the wrist in that situation turns on Apple Watch even then.

I especially like that Apple Watch saves power by immediately turning the display off when you lower your arm back down. It is like a privacy screen.

I'm hoping that Apple will give us option in settings to leave the watch face on all the time. It will probably take them a little bit to get the battery to perform better. The watch just looks better when there is face on always. Just my opinion.

Tmdlkwd

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
SoCal
Tried the nose activation. It does not work unfortunately. When I am at work it is 'touch to activate' and when I go for a run in the evening it is 'raise to activate'. Works out fine.

For me, the " nose tap " works when needed
just tried it again several times

Had mine for just under a week, but thus far I'm firmling in the YAY camp. However, the biggest issue that I have with is when I'm playing the piano. that does activate it a lot and it can also be kind of distracting, because it's difficult not to look at it when the display comes on. haha. But I can get used to that. I may also just take the watch off if I plan on playing for a long period of time, because the taps are distracting anyway.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I keep mine on. Mine isn't so sensitive that it comes on all the time. I find it more annoying when I want it to come on and it doesn't, then when it comes on when I don't want it to.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Definitely yay. I don't care about the screen occasionally activating and there is always lots of battery left for me even after long days (16 hours+).

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I only turn it off when I'm interpreting, because it's going to come on a lot and has the potential to be distracting. Most of the time I leave it on.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I'd REALLY like a theatre mode though (like with android wear) that would keep it off or very very dim when in a theatre.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Personally I would not use the Apple watch without the wrist raise function. I don't want to have to use both hands just to know what time it is or to see a notification.

Aristocles

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Newcastle, UK
Sometimes its useful to have it on and other times (driving, sleeping, at work, etc) to have it switched off.
I turn it on or off depending on what I'm doing.

Would be good if this was an option in the Settings glance, or if you could tell Siri to turn it on or off...

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I don't understand turning it off. It takes away the "hands free" element of the watch. Why not just turn off bluetooth and turn the brightness all the way down or put it in reserve mode to save that precious battery life? Why not just leave it off in the box? OH BOY! The battery life would last forever then! :rolleyes:

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I would say that if you are burning up your battery with wrist raise then you might be obsessing over the watch and just overusing. It's a new toy so why not?

But I use raise to activate and have since I got it. Never once killed a battery before bedtime. That includes days when I golf and use a GPS app on the watch and check yardages frequently. Been wearing since 7AM. Have 30% battery life left. Played 18 holes and got plenty of taptic notifications.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Question, if you wear your watch under your sleeve does it light up with the automatic screen on?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
So far - after about a month - I have left it ON. I do notice that the watch does activate when I am not actually raising it to look at it. Not really annoying.
Having said that - the one time I can see turning that function OFF is when in a theatre. Even if you put the Watch on MUTE or Do Not Disturb, I would think that the Watch lighting up when you move your arm would bother people around you. Too bad there is no "Theatre Mode" like there is an Airplane Mode!!!

Reactions: douglasf13

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
I don't understand turning it off. It takes away the "hands free" element of the watch. Why not just turn off bluetooth and turn the brightness all the way down or put it in reserve mode to save that precious battery life? Why not just leave it off in the box? OH BOY! The battery life would last forever then! :rolleyes:
You clearly don't understand that the flicking screen can be distracting and unwanted for a certain kind of people. Do it your way while I do mine. That's what the setting is for ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.