Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Yay. You'll quickly figure out the moves that make it turn on and limit them as much as possible if not needed. Unless you do something at work that makes it turn on ALL of the time, then it shouldn't be much of an issue. I would also turn off Hey Siri before this feature because Hey Siri doesn't work as well and isn't as useful. I'm not sure I'd want this thing if I had to tap it every time to turn the screen on.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
I keep mine on all the time, my battery life is more than enough for me so there is no reason to turn it off (unless you're in a movie theatre or something)

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
So far - after about a month - I have left it ON. I do notice that the watch does activate when I am not actually raising it to look at it. Not really annoying.
Having said that - the one time I can see turning that function OFF is when in a theatre. Even if you put the Watch on MUTE or Do Not Disturb, I would think that the Watch lighting up when you move your arm would bother people around you. Too bad there is no "Theatre Mode" like there is an Airplane Mode!!!

One can quickly engage Reserve Mode by holding the friend button down until the menu appears. Not only will this save you two hours of battery life, but it will keep the screen from coming on during a film or performance. The downside is the long boot up process necessary to get out of reserve mode.

A timed theater mode would be great... The watch could wake back up after two hours. Even better would be automatic theater mode where using GPS it knows you are at a venue and could go into mute/theater mode automatically as the house lights dimmed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.