Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123218-adobe_logo.jpg

Bloomberg reports that a new quarterly Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filing from Adobe reveals for the first time that Apple's refusal to adopt Adobe's Flash platform for the iPhone and iPad could pose a material threat to Adobe's business.

The admission comes as part of the "Risk Factors" section of the report that typically offers "doom and gloom" scenarios in which the company's business could experience difficulty, but makes specific mention of Apple's potential effect on the company.
Additionally, to the extent new releases of operating systems or other third-party products, platforms or devices, such as the Apple iPhone or iPad, make it more difficult for our products to perform, and our customers are persuaded to use alternative technologies, our business could be harmed.
Bloomberg notes that earlier SEC filings from Adobe contained language noting that it wished to work with Apple on the iPhone platform but required cooperation from Apple in order to do so.

The dispute between Adobe and Apple over the inability for the iPhone, iPod touch, and now iPad to handle media in the Flash format has been well-known ever since the iPhone's original introduction in 2007, and thus it seems to be no surprise that Adobe may consider the situation at an impasse and consequently have adopted stronger language regarding the risk it poses to the company's business.

Interestingly, the filing comes just one day after Apple's iPhone OS 4 preview event alongside which the company released a modified developer licensing agreement that appears to prohibit the use of a feature in Adobe's forthcoming Flash Professional CS5 to export Flash content into the native iPhone format. Flash Professional CS5 is set to be introduced as part of Creative Suite 5 next Monday, and Adobe is reportedly looking into the change in Apple's developer licensing terms to understand how it affects the company's plans.

Article Link: Adobe Acknowledges That Apple's Flash Prohibition Could Harm Business

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Interesting. Stakeholders will want to see "risk factors" mitigated as much as possible...I wonder if Adobe is going to go to Apple and beg and plead, or start supporting a competitor heavily (Android?).

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Stupid Apple..

I'm gonna laugh my @ss off if Adobe goes down for this and Apple ends up consuming Adobe...

Why would that be funny? It would be another example of Apple's corporate douchery... Adobe's a decent company run by decent people.. Apple isn't.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe if Flash didn't suck so much...I wonder if Adobe will ever wake up and go, "Maybe it's us..?"

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
They're finally understanding what people want but it's too little too late.

They're finally understanding what Apple wants. Not necessarily the people.

[edit]

I'd be willing to be if Adobe could port Flash using native Cocoa it would be allowed.

Unless it was just an advertising machine.

[/edit]

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
I honestly wish Apple would cooperate with Adobe and bring flash to the iPhone/ iPod touch/ iPad. I know the fanboy's will flame me for this one, but I honestly think Apple is too damn controlling sometimes. From what I've read, a majority of the iPhone/ iPod touch/ iPad users would be happy to have flash on their devices. I know I would...

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Flash drains my laptop battery

I am happy to read that others are looking into alternatives to flash because I have to admit that the cooling fan of my 2.2 GHz MBP with 4GB RAM starts going crazy every time I am on a website with flash. I check the activity monitor and as expected it shows at the top of CPU usage Safari Flash. Flash is always the most CPU intensive process and drains my laptop battery.

Red Comet

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009

Yeah, you're right. People have complained for some time but Apple is being the loud speaker if you want to put it that way.

I really didn't think the iPad would be a driving force for everyone to adopt HTML 5; But it's like Apple has very powerful insight info.

AtariMac

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Southeastern, PA
If I were Adobe I'd announce that CS5 will be the last Mac release. I'm betting Apple might be persuaded to change the stance on Flash.

Personally I think Flash blows on any platform, but Apple's stance on this seems extreme at times.

Red Comet

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
If I were Adobe I'd announce that CS5 will be the last Mac release. I'm betting Apple might be persuaded to change the stance on Flash.

Personally I think Flash blows on any platform, but Apple's stance on this seems extreme at times.

There stocks would plummet like a turd if they did something that stupid.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

"The people" are often dumb.

"People" will often accept horribly poor technologies until they are forced to fix them.

Look at the wave of poorly written web sites a decade ago that didn't get updated until FireFox started gaining marketshare and developers realized that they were writing poor code that only worked in IE.

HTML5 is a much, much better alternative to Flash for web video. Developers need something to push them out of their comfort zone with Flash.

While, as a user, I wish my iPhone could play Flash, I think that from an industry perspective, iPhone/iPad not using Flash is the best thing that could have happened, because it's going to improve the quality of the web as a whole, and in a few years it'll have been worth it.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
The least Apple could do is let flash run on their hand held devices UNTIL HTML5 has been adopted by nearly everyone. At least there wouldn't be any inconvenience to anyone in the mean time. Although, Apple could care less about inconveniencing their consumers, it seems.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Flash-blockers are huge risk, too.

Did Adobe also note that the growth of click-to-flash plugins could also severely damage the attractiveness of Flash to developers?

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Good. Flash may be good for crappy games that entertain eighth graders, but Flash has absolutely no use playing videos on the Internet. It kills battery and is extremely buggy. Good riddance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.