Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
No, it most certainly is not.

You don't have to take his word for it. Just look at sales numbers. People like them, since consumers give up nothing and get quite a bit in return. Most persnickety whiners have never used them, but even worse can't seem to grasp the relatively simply science that disproves their biggest gripes. There's a small group that prefers the matte finish, and that's fine, but they're a shrinking group. Reflections and glare are completely irrelevant if you've properly adjusted your display. In order to produce a glare, you have to have a considerably brighter light source pointed at the display surface and be looking at it from a non-perpendicular angle. Both of these are poor choices and would make any computer display more difficult to read.

Funny how they tend to be the same people all but demanding a minitower Mac, though.

The problem is that Apple doesn't design any of its products so that you can adequately adjust the display to accomodate changes in lighting/reflection. Thye macbooks and macbook pros have very limited display bezel movement and so do the imacs and cinema displays. If you want to sit ergonomically in front of an imac, you need to adjust the display so that it is slightly tilted upward (toward the ceiling light) and there will inevitably be reflections - just like with the laptops.

Reflections ARE there. Whether people get used to them is another issue. Personally, I hate seeing myself all the time and am happy that I'm no longer using a macbook for that very reason. With my matte mbp, I never ever have reflection issues. With the macbook I had them all the time. was it useable? Of course! Was it annoying? Yes! Glossy displays reflect. Period.

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
They def. need a matte option. The design doesn't bother me. I would take an all-black version.

I might have to do what Multimedia suggested, a new Mini with an ACD. That would be quite nice actually for a little home desktop.

The keyboards confuse me, why are you going to have a silver/black iMac and a silver/white keyboard...That doesn't make any sense to me and they don't look that good together. The keyboard and mouse should both be black to match the iMac.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Wow! What a difference the "old" keyboard and a matt screen make. It's no contest from where I stand in the Palo Alto Apple Store. This keyboard rocks and I just got my Bluetooth version today that I ordered yesterday from the refurb store for $49 after I saw what is replacing them yesterday morning.

There are ZERO reflections from behind me and looks plenty bright to me. I gotta stick with matt for the rest of my life so I guess I won't be buying any iMacs for this lifetime anyway. My keyboards need to have real traveling distance and cups for my fingers to feel rested in before they press down a significant distance. The "new" iMac is probably the WORST new Mac to come along since I can't remember when. Total disaster from where I stand. :(

If you're still in the store, give that mini a damned good thrashing. I've just ordered the 2Ghz model and want to know how it performs!

I also have the original Apple BT wireless keyboard and won't be trading it for anything else.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I want to take those components and put them in a mini tower with much better cooling to prolong the life of the logic board that seems to haunt iMacs. Anyone else?

NFW.

Put cheaper, faster desktop boards and components in the mini-tower...like a quad Kentsfield.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I don't see what everyone's problem is with the glass. We all used CRT displays with glass screens back in the day, but I don't recall anyone complaining about those.

People who call off their purchase because of something so trivial have issues.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Sure we do. CRT's are big, heavy, and also reflect light. However CRT's don't have viewing angle issues, but LCD's do. That's why glossy can be annoying when positioning the screen to your liking.

The thing is back then we really had no choice so we put up with glare on our CRT's. But now we are all used to the matte LCD screen it's hard to go back.

Glossy isn't bad enough for me to put off a purchase of a computer, but given the choice I'd much rather have the matte screen than glossy. Because it can be annoying depending on where the screen is facing. On my 13.3" macbook I can deal with it, but on a 20-24" screen I don't know, I'd have to see it myself how reflective it is. Especially because I have low ceilings and lots of light sources.

I don't see what everyone's problem is with the glass. We all used CRT displays with glass screens back in the day, but I don't recall anyone complaining about those.

SolidShadow

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm really glad I ponied up and bought a Mac Pro. I was originally going to buy a new imac when they were released but frankly I'm not really impressed with the new imac. Plus my refurb quad 2.66 with 23" monitor cost only slightly more than a maxed out imac. I feel I really got a better deal in the end.

Plus I can easily upgrade anything I want due to the easily removable side panel.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Don't die in Japan. Those guys autopsy quick.

I figured that glass screen might have some anti-glare thing going on. What a shame. It would drive me up a wall. As for the apple logo being black, I doubt anyone will see it much after the first day.

The design is nice. But I wouldn't own one because I need expansion of drives and don't want clutter. iMacs are very nice for someone who doesn't load up drives and wants an all around machine that isn't the top line for anything specific. If I was a college student I would be in heaven.... anyone else used to lug their Apple II around with monitor and drives and all the garbage that came with it as a 50+ lbs pile of junk??

gcortega

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2007
bought new iMac

I just switched over yesterday to mac and bought an iMac yesterday. Very sad to say that my experience has actually been pretty bad. The new iMac is great I bought the 20" 2.4 the only thing is the first one that I bought had a dot on the screen which looked like a dead pixel but when I took it to mac genius they said it was probably that something got stuck in between the glass and the screen.
I got a brand new iMac. It's been working fine today and then guess what? I notice another dot on the screen.

I'm not down with paying 1500 for an apple iMac to have to return it twice already because the screen is screwed up. It's a bit ridiculous to have this happen twice...Not very happy about switching over to apple. http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif
:mad:

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Initial impressions:
Overall very impressed. It looks beautiful and I didn't like the new design at first but once you see them in person it really is beautiful. Apple's designs tend to grow on me.

Screen - I really prefer the glossy screen. Now I have the glossy brand new 24 inch at my home office and the older 20 inch at my work office, the difference is quite noticable. The old screen looks notably dull but at home the screen is fantastic. Really really nice. The reflections aren't a problem if you are sitting in front of the machine and using it. Only if you are looking from the side or the sun is hitting the screen. And once the screen is on its very good. Also I get the idea that the resolution is better than the old 24 inch but that may have to do with the glossy look.

Audio - Initial impression is that the audio output is of better quality. My personal music preferences are bordering on Audiophile and I'm a lot happier with my new iMac's audio output then my previous machines.

Keyboard - Very good. Its easier to type on if you type very fast (I do around 90 WPM) and its quieter which means you can type while you're on the phone so you can do work calls without having to write everything down on paper. Especially in a setting where you don't necessarily want people to know that you are inputting notes into the computer. For that reason we are upgrading all our work keyboards. Also it feels and looks like its curved but from the side it doesn't look like it is. You'll know what I mean when you use it. I had an initial fear that it would not be comfortable typing so "low down" but it works quite well. Imagine tapping your fingers on the desk to type and that's almost what its like. Only problem is that in the UK Apple stores I've been to now (Regent Street and Bluewater), I can't buy the keyboard separately which means that I still have the old keyboard at work.

Issues:
Remote - I find it kind of annoying that the remote doesn't stick to the side of the screen anymore. I have a (now) old 20" iMac that I use at work and as its a work machine, the remote just sort of gets stored on the iMac. Never used it but I know I won't loose it because it has its pride of place. The remote is also slightly wider now than my 24 inch iMac. Redesign of the remote would be nice but oh well. That's the only thing I don't like.

Oh yeah and there is an issue with viewing the videos on my web gallery but that's .mac's problem, not iMac. In the process of figuring out what is going on with that.

Overall :D:D:
I wish I had filmed the faces of my family as they walked into my office and saw the new iMac. They were in open-mouthed awe :eek: and so was I.
See the pics here of the unboxing

Nice job! TG I had a paper towel to contain my drool!
:p

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
You know it's really great to see that someone in Edinburgh Scottland sees this the same way I do. The more I look at it, the worse it looks to me. Notice that gigantic black :apple: staring at you 24/7? I am still stunned at what a God awful "design" this is. And the keyboard? Unbelievable how anyone can like it. :eek:

New Jersey here, also agreeing. Between this and the hack job that is the Leopard UI, it's like they've given up on producing distinct, simple and aesthetically pleasing designs (black & silver? gee, only every other generic PC manufacturer on the planet uses that color scheme). And the computer doesn't go with the peripherals anymore: silver & black computer, silver & white keyboard, white mouse? It's like it was just slapped together. Oh well, it'll certainly blend right in in Best Buy!

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
NFW.

Put cheaper, faster desktop boards and components in the mini-tower...like a quad Kentsfield.

I am quite satisfied with my Compaq Athlon 64 at 2.41 Ghz running Windows XP. The most challenging software I use is MSOffice, OpenOffice and Adobe PhotoShop Elements 5.0. The speed is very good for my needs.

My newest Mac is a Blue & White G3 tower at 400 Mhz. PhotoShop 6 running under OS9 is blazing fast. PhotoShop CS under Panther is a little slow. I passed on the G4 tower, because the speed improvement was not sufficient for me to give up my B&W. The G5 hot running chips turned me off. The iMac with it's tight quarters gives off so much heat that logic boards fail with an alarming frequency. I would like to have a faster Mac, but I will not buy a Mac Pro, Mac Mini or iMac. What I need is a Hackintosh with Conroe.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I don't know how anyone can hate this design. It looks far more sophisticated and badass compared to the childish design of the G5.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
my understanding is that the magnet for the remote is still there. it has moved so you have to look for it. a new iMac owner in a different thread provided this info.
you can add third party memory with out voiding your warranty. but, if the memory you install is found to be the cause of a problem, then the warranty will not cover it.
solution: remove third party memory before sending it into apple.

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Well, I haven't seen the new iMac yet, but I don't think I'll mind the screen much. I still use CRT screens (on my Mini and on the eMac upstairs) so I've never gotten used to matte LCD screens.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
I don't know how anyone can hate this design. It looks far more sophisticated and badass compared to the childish design of the G5.

Childish = thinking 'badass' and 'sophisticated' are the same thing.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
But for professionals I do understand the need for matte screens and I wish Apple would offer it as a build to order option from Apple.com.

I guess they think professionals would not buy an iMac and would go for a Pro.

You know it's really great to see that someone in Edinburgh Scotland sees this the same way I do. The more I look at it, the worse it looks to me. Notice that gigantic black :apple: staring at you 24/7? I am still stunned at what a God awful "design" this is. And the keyboard? Unbelievable how anyone can like it. :eek:

It's the black border I don't like. Maybe Jobs had a fight with Ive?

I like the kayboard. I want a wireless one for my MB at home.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Wrong. When you wear a suit you look classy and sophisticated. You also look ****ing badass.

Hmmmm.... you mean like this kind of badass?

billgates.jpg

Digitaljim

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
Tell me about your G5 enclosed Hackintosh. It sounds like what I am after.

Funny you should say that: I wrote up a perfectly balanced 'showcase' of my Hackintosh project in the Mac Pro forum this morning, but some asshat moderator deleted it.

But i'd definitely recommend this route. A pseudo-Mac Pro for £530 ($1080) and you actually get to choose your components (a £30 GeForce 7300GT in a £1700 machine? Not good enough, Apple :rolleyes:)

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Funny you should say that: I wrote up a perfectly balanced 'showcase' of my Hackintosh project in the Mac Pro forum this morning, but some asshat moderator deleted it.

But i'd definitely recommend this route. A pseudo-Mac Pro for £530 ($1080) and you actually get to choose your components (a £30 GeForce 7300GT in a £1700 machine? Not good enough, Apple :rolleyes:)

I am very interested in your Hackintosh. The price is even better than I expected. Can you give me details? I take it that it runs OSX. If so, I want one bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.