Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsation

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Washington, DC
I finally bought this sweet little macbook retina after lusting after it since release. Originally, I thought I'd wait for version 2, given perceived limitations on ports and processor. SO glad I didn't. This machine is what i've always wanted in a laptop: gorgeous screen, light weight, and great battery life. Love the keyboard as well actually.

I was lucky to buy it off craigslist for only $950! The seller got it as a gift and doesn't like Macs. He advertised it as the entry 256, 1.1, but when I got it home I realized it's the 1.2, 512gb!!

We're talking an almost new, almost $1700 machine (with taxes) for $950!

I think I'll be keeping this baby for a long, long time.

Last edited:

xenaki

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2008
I finally bought this sweet little macbook retina after lusting after it since release. Originally, I thought I'd wait for version 2, given perceived limitations on ports and processor. SO glad I didn't. This machine is what i've always wanted in a laptop: gorgeous screen and light weight. Love the keyboard as well actually.

I was lucky to buy it off craigslist for only $950! The seller got it as a gift and doesn't like Macs. He advertised it as the entry 256, 1.1, but when I got it home I realized it's the 1.2, 512gb!!

That's awesome!

I also got extremely lucky on eBay, similar situation. Title had info for base model but description mentioned 512GB of storage. Got it for $970. Looked up warranty info and super bonus... has AppleCare until 9/2018!

Best eBay deal I've ever found.

macsation

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Washington, DC
That's awesome!

I also got extremely lucky on eBay, similar situation. Title had info for base model but description mentioned 512GB of storage. Got it for $970. Looked up warranty info and super bonus... has AppleCare until 9/2018!

Best eBay deal I've ever found.

Oh man, that beats even this one, lol. Congrats!

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Awsome laptop, truly amazing.

I absolutely love mine, it is by far the best laptop i have ever owned and i have owned quite a few, absolutely no need to wait for version 2. It does everything perfectly i cant fault it, my mid 2014 MBP soon went on eBay once i got this amazing laptop.

I think Apple pulled off a masterstroke as well when they decided to put excellent speakers in it, it really makes a difference, turns it into a really good portable music listening device. You can take this laptop anywhere.

People say it is too expensive, but i don't think those people who say that actually own one. Once you do own one you will realise why it is expensive, it is because it is such a high quality desirable product with cutting edge technology, i think it is worth every single penny i paid for it.

This is the future of laptops, ports are not needed these days, all laptops will be like this in a few years once the competition catch up, it makes the MBP and MBA seem about 3-5 years out of date. I have never been so happy with a purchase i have made.

macsation

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Washington, DC

I absolutely love mine, it is by far the best laptop i have ever owned...

This is the future of laptops, ports are not needed these days, all laptops will be like this in a few years once the competition catch up, it makes the MBP and MBA seem about 3-5 years out of date. I have never been so happy with a purchase i have made.

AMEN!

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I don't know if anyone has had a similar experience but I bought an iPad pro cellular. Added in an Apple Keyboard, apple bottom case, Apple Pencil and Apple Care. Over $1600. Today Best Buy put the Macbook on sale for $999. I am going to the Macbook and returning the iPad pro.

Reactions: AleXXXa

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Congrats, that's a great price. Enjoy your new machine :D

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
This is the future of laptops, ports are not needed these days, all laptops will be like this in a few years once the competition catch up, it makes the MBP and MBA seem about 3-5 years out of date.
It's a weird feeling when I simultaneously agree with everything you say and feel upset about it. I disagree about ports not being needed (I've got a USB external drive for Time Machine, I'm using the SD slot in my Air to expand drive space cheaply, I've got a pile of USB sticks, etc.) but if Apple decided we need no ports, then the future is no ports. Oh well. My Air may be out of date technology but I intend to live with it for five years anyway :) Congrats on your purchase, glad you enjoy it!

macsation

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Washington, DC
I don't know if anyone has had a similar experience but I bought an iPad pro cellular. Added in an Apple Keyboard, apple bottom case, Apple Pencil and Apple Care. Over $1600. Today Best Buy put the Macbook on sale for $999. I am going to the Macbook and returning the iPad pro.

Yea, I considered an iPad pro, but I just didn't see the value proposition in owning a giant iPad. Once you buy everything that's required to make it laptop like, you're at the same price or more than the macbook.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
Exactly what I am thinking of doing. I bought mine from Apple, so it is a pain in the butt since I don't think Apple with Price Match.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011

I absolutely love mine, it is by far the best laptop i have ever owned and i have owned quite a few, absolutely no need to wait for version 2. It does everything perfectly i cant fault it, my mid 2014 MBP soon went on eBay once i got this amazing laptop.

I think Apple pulled off a masterstroke as well when they decided to put excellent speakers in it, it really makes a difference, turns it into a really good portable music listening device. You can take this laptop anywhere.

People say it is too expensive, but i don't think those people who say that actually own one. Once you do own one you will realise why it is expensive, it is because it is such a high quality desirable product with cutting edge technology, i think it is worth every single penny i paid for it.

Nailed it.

Exact same feelings every time I see and use this machine. Probably the most satisfying device I ever owned.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013

Haha, that's exactly what I did.

It was strange though - the iPad pro looked so huge next to the MacBook.

But the MacBook is definitely the better of the two, in my opinion.

The only thing I miss about the ipad pro is the handwriting,..but I have a surface pro 3 for that, I guess..

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
I had a great deal too £700 brand new on eBay 512GB and 1.2GHZ.

Coming from a MacBook Air (2012) 128GB it feels solid, slick and premium.

I know it's not meant to be a powerhouse, but on first use the battery isn't blowing me away and having a few windows open in safari caused a few glitches/stutters with a music player. Can I do anything to give it a little boost?

Great speakers too!

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Haha, that's exactly what I did.

It was strange though - the iPad pro looked so huge next to the MacBook.

But the MacBook is definitely the better of the two, in my opinion.

The only thing I miss about the ipad pro is the handwriting,..but I have a surface pro 3 for that, I guess..
I returned everything today and am now settling in with my new Macbook. I agree the iPad pro seemed to dwarf the Macbook. I think this was the right thing to do. Saved a bunch of money and am happily typing away here in Dunkin Donuts. Loving it

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008

I did the same thing. As much as I like the iPP, the apps just looks really bad on it and the usage is also limited. To have iPP close to the laptop, you will have to spend extra to get keyboard. The recent sale at BB is just make more sense with MB. You get the full laptop experience with extreme portability.

Reactions: ViktorEvil

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I finally bought this sweet little macbook retina after lusting after it since release. Originally, I thought I'd wait for version 2, given perceived limitations on ports and processor. SO glad I didn't. This machine is what i've always wanted in a laptop: gorgeous screen, light weight, and great battery life. Love the keyboard as well actually.

When the seller knows so little about the product and sells it at steep discount it is normally a sign that it is stolen.

macsation

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Washington, DC
When the seller knows so little about the product and sells it at steep discount it is normally a sign that it is stolen.

I hope it wasn't. But there's no way that I , nor anyone else, can control that. Apple includes find my mac. My suggestion is to please turn it on and use it.

Way to rain on the proverbial parade there though!

Reactions: QuarterSwede

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I hope it wasn't. But there's no way that I , nor anyone else, can control that. Apple includes find my mac. My suggestion is to please turn it on and use it.

Way to rain on the proverbial parade there though!
Glad you're digging the MB - it's a great little computer.

There are so many red flags there that this was stolen (and I'm not saying that it was), that if you're going to throw a parade, you have to expect a little rain. ;)

Anyway, aside from checking out the serial number and finding a problem, there's little way of knowing at this point... may as well put it behind you and enjoy.

p.s. - I decided to check my own SN registrations at Apple and realized I hadn't registered one of my Macs, so sometimes these are good reminders to do a little computer housekeeping on that front.

Last edited:

macsation

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Washington, DC
There are so many red flags there that this was stolen (and I'm not saying that it was), that if you're going to throw a parade, you have to expect a little rain. ;)

Anyway, aside from checking out the serial number and finding a problem, there's little way of knowing at this point... may as well put it behind you and enjoy.

p.s. - I decided to check my own SN registrations at Apple and realized I hadn't registered one of my Macs, so sometimes these are good reminders to do a little computer housekeeping on that front.

Honestly, NO WAY I would've bought it if I thought it was stolen. The seller seemed like a rich, international Northern Virginia kid; pretty ubiquitous around here. He met me openly at the Apple store. He didn't seem nervous, and his story, that he got it from a rich uncle, seemed believable.

Certainly hope it wasn't :(

Last edited:

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012

It is definitely too expensive. I still have one, and love it but just being honest. I am obviously willing to pay a premium for the newest, sleekest, lightest and best looking laptop out. Those who complain about the price should just opt for an Air. Or anything else that fits their budget. Simple math.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Looking forward to getting one (waiting for the Skylake revision though as I'm not in any rush).
The one massive thing that really bugs me about this laptop is the lack of a second USB-C on the other side. There is room for it, it would mean easy charging from either direction, it would mean if the only source of power and connection failed, you atleast have a second you can still use, not too mention being able to charge while also connected to something else. I really feel it is a design flaw, I don't expect them to rectify it but it would have made the difference between the perfect laptop and an almost perfect laptop.
Performance should be fine once Skylake arrives (nothing major I know but enough of an improvement) that it will be pretty much perfect for my needs.

Reactions: navaira
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.