Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Woke up to an Amazon email that is announcing pre-order availability of the Snow Leopard upgrade, the Family Pack Upgrade and the corresponding Box Sets.

The Snow Leopard books are also listed for pre-order.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 341

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Amazon Begins Accepting Pre-Orders for Mac OS X Snow Leopard

110118-amazon_snow_leopard_500.jpg

Several MacRumors have reported that Amazon has begun taking pre-orders for Apple's forthcoming Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Amazon is currently offering Snow Leopard at Apple's announced price of $29 for OS X Leopard users, and the listing notes that while Snow Leopard is slated for a September release, no official release date has been announced.

Amazon has also prominently featured an "Upgrade Path Alert" notifying customers that the upgrade is available only for Intel computers currently running OS X Leopard.
Please note, that only Apple OS X Leopard users are eligible for the Snow Leopard upgrade. Tiger & earlier OS users will need to purchase either versions of the upgraded Mac Box Set. Also, Snow Leopard will only run on intel-based Mac computers.
Amazon has also begun offering pre-orders of OS X Snow Leopard family packs, Mac Box Sets bundling Snow Leopard with iLife '09 and iWork '09, and Snow Leopard Server.

- Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard ($29.00)
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard Family Pack (5-User) ($49.00)
- Mac Box Set - (with Snow Leopard) ($169.00)
- Mac Box Set Family Pack with Snow Leopard (5-User) ($229.00)
- Mac OS X Server version 10.6 Snow Leopard ($499.00)

Note: Purchases through these Amazon links benefit MacRumors financially.

Article Link: Amazon Begins Accepting Pre-Orders for Mac OS X Snow Leopard

thedommer

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Ive only owned my mac since 10.5 so this might be a dumb question but can I buy this through apple.com and download it? Or do I have to go into a mac store.

dom

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
I hope customers aren't forced to have Leopard on their systems already because that is really going to bugger up those of us who wish to do a clean install or re-install it without needing to first re-install Leopard.

I guess I'll be forced to get the boxed pack if Apple chooses to go down the stupid path of detecting the previously installed operating system.

Edit: The above reason is why I voted it down; time for Apple to get its act together.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I think I'll go with Amazon and tease the line at the Apple Store.

I hope customers aren't forced to have Leopard on their systems already because that is really going to bugger up those of us who wish to do a clean install or re-install it without needing to first re-install Leopard.

I guess I'll be forced to get the boxed pack if Apple chooses to go down the stupid path of detecting the previously installed operating system.

Edit: The above reason is why I voted it down; time for Apple to get its act together.
Plenty of speculation has been done but we don't have an answer.

Inspiratron

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2006

This is also the reason I might have to get the boxed pack... I ALWAYS do a clean install, and it would be a pain to have to reinstall Leopard, then Snow Leopard...

mrrish

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Yes, the first thing that came to my mind when seeing this post was, "will I have to install 10.5, THEN install 10.6 whenever I need to reinstall the OS?"

In the past, could you even do an erase n' install with an upgrade disk?

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
This is also the reason I might have to get the boxed pack... I ALWAYS do a clean install, and it would be a pain to have to reinstall Leopard, then Snow Leopard...

It keeps going from bad to worse; first Apple can't be bothered getting their act together to deliver 64bit X3100 drivers so that Snow Leopard runs in 64bit mode - something like that shouldn't be left till the last minute; it should have already been done by now.

Now they're doing this ass-hattery forcing customers to have Leopard preinstalled which results in a stupid reinstallation fiasco everytime a customer wishes to restore their system.

I swear, for all the bright people who apparently work at Apple, alot of them seem to be devoid of common sense.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Yes, the first thing that came to my mind when seeing this post was, "will I have to install 10.5, THEN install 10.6 whenever I need to reinstall the OS?"

In the past, could you even do an erase n' install with an upgrade disk?

If the upgrade disks are anything like the uptodate ones, then customers will need to have Leopard already installed.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
I placed my order for the 5 pack to go with my original 10.5 family pack.
I hope this is actually a full version, but if not, no biggie... But every once in a while I do reinstall my OSX, so not having to install twice would be a blessing.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
So (potentially)...

1. Clean install 10.5

2. Upgrade install 10.6

and inevitably, 3. Patch update install 10.6.x

Maybe they will incorporate some dramatic graphic between steps 1 and 2, showing the recovery of 6GB of now unnecessary system cloggage that had to be installed anyway.

xxii

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
iLife?

Is iLife '09 going to be included w/ Snow Leopard? You would think it would, but I haven't seen documentation . . .

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Is iLife '09 going to be included w/ Snow Leopard? You would think it would, but I haven't seen documentation . . .

It's in the Box Set, but iLife has never been included with Mac OS X in any generation.

jW

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I think Apple will be taking orders within two weeks.

Can't wait to get my disc, though my mid-'07 mini won't have much to gain from running SL.

I'd like to do a clean install, but I don't want to install Leopard first. That's just a waste of time. All the discs should be a full retail copy.

And then I've got to get iLife '09 or '10, whichever is out when I have the money.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Not to take a cheap shot at MS, but have you all seen the upgrade path to windows 7? OMFG!! You need a freakin' grid/table/chart to figure it out! Xp to 7 is a bloody nightmare (you can't upgrade).

Yes, I'm smugly loving my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.