Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koala

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
Is iLife '09 going to be included w/ Snow Leopard? You would think it would, but I haven't seen documentation . . .

I don't think iLife is ever included with the OS, just new computers. I purchased my original G5 tower shortly before iLife was first released, so despite upgrades from Panther to Tiger to Leopard, the first time I had a copy of iLife is when I finally purchased my first Intel Mac.

pica93

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
It keeps going from bad to worse; first Apple can't be bothered getting their act together to deliver 64bit X3100 drivers so that Snow Leopard runs in 64bit mode - something like that shouldn't be left till the last minute; it should have already been done by now.

Now they're doing this ass-hattery forcing customers to have Leopard preinstalled which results in a stupid reinstallation fiasco everytime a customer wishes to restore their system.

I swear, for all the bright people who apparently work at Apple, alot of them seem to be devoid of common sense.

O nooo, are you saying if you have a white macbook with the x3100 driver (like myself) there is not point in getting snow leopard as it won't run in 64bit mode?????

Mueslimonster

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Germany
I remember from my Windows days, using one of the uprade discs, that it simply asked for your original CD, checked whether it was valid and then you could proceed to do a clean install with the upgrade disc without having to install the previous version.

I hope it will work the same way with Snow Leopard as I intend to upgrade my HDD once it's out prior to installing SL.

Karvel

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
England
Eh? What's with the replies here?

Won't it just be -

<I already run 10.5 Leopard> -> Purchase $29.99 Snow Leopard

<I run 10.4 Tiger on Intel> -> Purchase Mac Box Set

*given that was the 'lowest' Mac OS to run on Intel is 10.4 Tiger that will be the only case in which a Mac Box Set needs to be purchased, me thinks.

Takuta-Nui

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
I found this part of the page to be a bit disturbing ...

LOL. One might think it's sad, but it actually indicates that 25% of customers ultimately buy Apple, and I do believe that's larger than Apple's current market share. =P

I'm really looking forward to this. Be nice to start university with a brand new OS!

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
iLife has never been included on an OS disc. Always on its own disc or included with a new Mac.

Just to make it clear: You will not be getting iLife '09 or '10 with your SL disc.

Eh? What's with the replies here?

Won't it just be -

<I already run 10.5 Leopard> -> Purchase $29.99 Snow Leopard

<I run 10.4 Tiger on Intel> -> Purchase Mac Box Set

*given that was the 'lowest' Mac OS to run on Intel is 10.4 Tiger that will be the only case in which a Mac Box Set needs to be purchased, me thinks.

Sorry for the sloppy quote.

All versions of OS X can run on Intel, "just in case."

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
So (potentially)...

1. Clean install 10.5

2. Upgrade install 10.6

and inevitably, 3. Patch update install 10.6.x

Maybe they will incorporate some dramatic graphic between steps 1 and 2, showing the recovery of 6GB of now unnecessary system cloggage that had to be installed anyway.

The 6GB reduction is down to file-system compression of read-only system files.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Getting closer and closer...as much as I would love to help MR by ordering through Amazon, I think I will order from Apple, or just go to the store.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It keeps going from bad to worse; first Apple can't be bothered getting their act together to deliver 64bit X3100 drivers so that Snow Leopard runs in 64bit mode - something like that shouldn't be left till the last minute; it should have already been done by now.

Now they're doing this ass-hattery forcing customers to have Leopard preinstalled which results in a stupid reinstallation fiasco everytime a customer wishes to restore their system.

I swear, for all the bright people who apparently work at Apple, alot of them seem to be devoid of common sense.

I'm sorry, but did you honestly expect anything different? 10.1 worked like this. If Apple allowed you to install w/o leopard, then nobody would buy the full version. Besides, a SL install takes only ten minutes.

IMO, it's a small price to pay for not having to deal with cumbersome CD keys.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
The 6GB reduction is down to file-system compression of read-only system files.

Got a source for this?

As far as I was aware Apple has trimmed out most PPC binaries from the system apps removing a lot of bulk. Also the 6GB figure Apple quotes doesn't include the installation of printer drivers or languages, if you did that in Leopard it would already save you 3GB+.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Wow, bunch of whining based on Amazon's packaging and Apple not even putting it up on their site yet and people blaming Apple.

For those who are can't figure it out:

Upgrade = MUST HAVE 10.5 installed first
Retail OR Amazon's Box Set = Can install fresh without 10.5

So far it's Amazon's Box Set, not Apple's. I would be pretty sure Apple would offer the following: Upgrade disk, Retail disk. Offering a package box set is not in Apple's history. Package deal (buy both for a cheaper price) but still offer a retail disk.

But if you would rather be negative and start bashing em now, go for it. Otherwise, have some patience and wait what the official source has to offer rather than Amazon.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Got a source for this?

As far as I was aware Apple has trimmed out most PPC binaries from the system apps removing a lot of bulk. Also the 6GB figure Apple quotes doesn't include the installation of printer drivers or languages, if you did that in Leopard it would already save you 3GB+.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20090608124411281

The OS installation has been made more efficient as well, incorporating file system compression to save up to 6GB of disk space and overall resulting in a 45% faster installation procedure.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ard_seed_leak_confirms_cocoa_finder_more.html

I also remember wondering about this after it was mentioned in some keynote or other.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Offering a package box set is not in Apple's history. Package deal (buy both for a cheaper price) but still offer a retail disk.

What are you talking about? Apple has had a box set that include Leopard iLife and iWork for quite a time. I see it every time I'm at the Apple store.

aljawad

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Must be getting close, I wonder when Apple will start allowing pre-orders?

While September is a month away, but knowing Apple and its previous major releases over the past couple of years, I'd say it will be released on the last weekend of the month = Friday 25th.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wow, bunch of whining based on Amazon's packaging and Apple not even putting it up on their site yet and people blaming Apple.

For those who are can't figure it out:

Upgrade = MUST HAVE 10.5 installed first
Retail OR Amazon's Box Set = Can install fresh without 10.5

So far it's Amazon's Box Set, not Apple's. I would be pretty sure Apple would offer the following: Upgrade disk, Retail disk. Offering a package box set is not in Apple's history. Package deal (buy both for a cheaper price) but still offer a retail disk.

But if you would rather be negative and start bashing em now, go for it. Otherwise, have some patience and wait what the official source has to offer rather than Amazon.

Amazon's offerings are the same as Apple has always stated since they announced it...no "$129" retail disc has ever been mentioned. If you've got Leopard, it's $29 for the upgrade. If you've got Tiger, it's $169 for the box set or nothing.

Snow Leopard Tech Specs

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, just purchase Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard when it’s available and follow the simple installation instructions.

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set (when available), which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ’09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ’09, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I borrowed a friends upgrade disk once to put Leopard on my eMac (it was a slip in as she bought her computer right after Leopard was released) and if I remember correctly you could do an erase and install from the disk. It was exactly the same as a retail copy, only it said on it that it was an upgrade copy. So I would think that Snow Leopard will be no different and would allow you to do an erase and install from that disk.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Free shipping too...
By pony express?

Amazon's 5-7 day free shipping involves on them literally sitting on the order for business 5 days before sending it out USPS or ground shipping.

If Amazon is going to charge full MSRP, I don't see any reason not to just buy it from Apple as they'll at least send it out as soon as your order is ready.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I remember from my Windows days, using one of the uprade discs, that it simply asked for your original CD, checked whether it was valid and then you could proceed to do a clean install with the upgrade disc without having to install the previous version.

I hope it will work the same way with Snow Leopard as I intend to upgrade my HDD once it's out prior to installing SL.
Finally, someone gets it! There is no way Apple is going to require you to install Leopard first--mark my word. At the very most, all that will be required is simply inserting a Leopard disc (bundle or retail), then proceeding with a clean Snow Leopard install.

Everybody calm down. If Microsoft can figure this out, I'm sure Apple can too. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.