Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Exchange is "not bad" for the bloat it introduces. It is far from perfect, but people all over the world have become used to using it and Outlook, so it's kind of benchmark for balancing bloat and useful features.

Exchange 2007 compatibility is the biggest new feature in Snow Leopard. Yes it will use Exchange Web Services and not MAPI, but will still help many more macs find their way into corporate cubicles. I would take a shared Exchange hosting account over MobileMe or IMAP any day for fewer syncing errors.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
Exchange 2007 compatibility is the biggest new feature in Snow Leopard. Yes it will use Exchange Web Services and not MAPI, but will still help many more macs find their way into corporate cubicles. I would take a shared Exchange hosting account over MobileMe or IMAP any day for fewer syncing errors.

I'll take Exchange over Notes/Domino ANY day. I still cant believe my company is ditching Outlook for Notes *bangs head on desk*

Povilas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
Lithuania
That makes no sense to me. If Windows can run full x64 on a MacBook why can't OS X? It's all down to the software and drivers at this point, not the hardware.

I also don't understand the "no x3100 x64" that was posted earlier, again, all they have to do is write drivers. The only limitation is the power of the hardware. If SL requires a form of rendering or hardware acceleration that the x3100 can't support, ok, but it seems to me posters are implying that it's not x64 capable.

I don't understand that at all.

Good point. If I can run Windows 7 64 bit version today on any Core 2 Duo Mac whats different with Snow Leopard? For sure hardware is not the problem. History likes to repeat itself, maybe and if tablet rumors are true guys at Cupertino again are working against the clock and that's the only problem?

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
What I've asked of you is a definitive link that substantiates your claim that 10.6 will require 10.5 to exist in order to for the installation to occur.

EDIT: Actually, I have not had any experience with Drop-in DVDs. Apple may indeed take that approach with the $29 version, which would make it the first exception to point #1 above.

10.6 does not require that 10.5 is installed; but the $29 disk might have such a requirement and the $129 disk of course would not have that requirement.

Zion21

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Put in my pre-order. Cant wait for it to arrive!
smile.gif

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
$129. is the usual price for a new 10.n release... like if you are still running Tiger on a white plastic Intel iMac; like I have in my kitchen.:apple:

$129 was the usual price, but as per WWDC and Amazon announcements, Snow Leopard is listed as $29 for Leopard users. Tiger users are apparently expected to buy the Mac Box Set - (with Snow Leopard, iWork and iLife) for $169.00.

And by the way, how does a simple announcement generate so many pages of posts... got to love OS X.

Some love guessing about the unknown, some claim to know. September will decide for us all. :)

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
What is this, a BS fest? Leopard has been absolutely ROCK-SOLID and virtually bug-free for me since at least 10.5.3...besides, the occurrence of permissions messages has NOTHING to do with stability of the OS. You probably just came here to troll, but it's hard to read so much crap without answering.

Finally, what happens once SL is launched upon the masses?

Answer: MS IS DEAD.

I was hoping for this, how about topping it off with your thoughts on BD? :D

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
On the other hand, Microsoft has a "Grand Central" like theading feature that they're introducing.

... and it works on Windows 7, Vista and XP.

Oh my, the latest technology on the OS that you bought 8 years ago. Why does Apple stiff people who bought a system a year or two ago?

because that wouldn't fit in Apple's business model of forcing you to upgrade your hardware to run their software

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
I didn't say there was. I said 64-bit would work.

Maybe I should revise that. The processor will do 64-bit, but the GPU won't.

Please, revisit that post because it makes absolutely no sense.

You need to have the GMA driver 64bit so the kernel runs in 64bit mode. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH OPENCL which you mentioned in a post previous to the above.

*takes a deep breath* please, you're not an Apple employee so stop trying to think that you speak with some authority on the matter.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Pretty simple to check the hard drive for Leopard before allowing SL to install.

It's not that simple though is it? If I decide to do a full clean install on a new HD, will I have to install Leopard first? I'm waiting to hear about how this program works. I bought mine from the university, so my purchase is recorded (we have to sign a bunch of disclaimers in order to purchase at a specially discounted rate) so...

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Please, revisit that post because it makes absolutely no sense.

You need to have the GMA driver 64bit so the kernel runs in 64bit mode. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH OPENCL which you mentioned in a post previous to the above.

*takes a deep breath* please, you're not an Apple employee so stop trying to think that you speak with some authority on the matter.

Yes, that was stated already. I didn't know there were no 64-bit GMA drivers.

Wow... PLEASE stop talking until you learn what you are talking about.

Why don't you?

Everything Apple has sold for the past few years has had a 64-bit processor, so the processor will run in 64-bit mode.

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009

Why don't you?

Everything Apple has sold for the past few years has had a 64-bit processor, so the processor will run in 64-bit mode.

Ok guys, does anyone actually know an answer to this question? Now I'm not familiar at all with the OSX kernel, but does the 64bit kernel absolutely require 64bit drivers? I believe that in Windows Vista 64bit, you could still use 32bit drivers, in some cases.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Ok guys, does anyone actually know an answer to this question? Now I'm not familiar at all with the OSX kernel, but does the 64bit kernel absolutely require 64bit drivers?

A 64bit kernel requires 64bit drivers - you cannot mix 32bit drivers with a 64bit kernel. So yes, it does absolutely require it because without those 64bit drivers the operating system, specifically Mac OS X, falls back to the 32bit kernel.

I believe that in Windows Vista 64bit, you could still use 32bit drivers, in some cases.

Who ever told you is ignorant - the only thing you can run 32bit on a 64bit operating system are applications. Windows has NEVER allowed 32bit drivers to run with a 64bit kernel (I'd say that the rule also applies to user space drivers as well).

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009

Why don't you?

Yes, but your also saying(or implying) that the GPU isn't x64 capable... which is just stupid. I have run Vista x64 on a GMA MacBook. The only reason to not have x64 drivers for ANY piece of hardware is because a company ( Apple in this case) doesn't write them.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
So what's wrong with what he's saying?

The idea that a GPU isn't x64 capable is whats wrong. I see no logical reason why Apple would make the CPU run in x64 mode, and then create some crazy 64/32 hybrid so the GPU runs in 32bit, when all they have to do is write a x64 driver for the video card.

It's not like the card isn't capable, many Windows boxes run 64bit and I have NEVER heard of a video card that "can't do x64".

rich2k4

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2009
so when do you think apple will reveal the exact release date of snow leopard?

in the past, say for leopard, did they say "coming october 2007" or did they already have an exact date announced?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.