Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I was not too focused on that when I made my statement. I know, Merle will be one of his henchmen!! :p

I've been waiting for him to come back as well. I can see Daryle split between sides too. The only time Merle appeared after he lost his hand was in his brother's hallucination.

I wonder if Daryle will switch groups if that's the case.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
just downloaded all the comics on my iPad. amazing. not as amazing as owning the graphic novels/comic books on paper however.... BUT.... I will be purchasing all of the graphic novels (1-7). this thread made my jaw drop when I found out how many people had read the novels/comics, so after reading them myself, I can say that I am a total fan of walking dead now. Also, I will try to buy the season 2 in blu-ray zombie head with a screwdriver in it. awesome.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
So, I guess Hershel seems to take over for Dale as the resident "old guy" for the TV version.. in at least one way.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Loved how Rick had no hesitation about grabbing the ax! Good stuff!

I am super excited for this season. With the prison and Governer coming into play... I hope, and jugding by what I saw tonight, they don't tame it down to much. granted they won't be able to show it all but man, there are some pretty brutal scenes that are coming up!

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yep, this season started off with a bang. The ax scene was definitely brutal. I totally didn't see that coming. I'm not fully understanding why Rick is ticked off at his wife. I know he was upset about her asking him to kill Shane, but after everything Shane did I think even Rick knew that taking him out was necessary.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Yep, this season started off with a bang. The ax scene was definitely brutal. I totally didn't see that coming. I'm not fully understanding why Rick is ticked off at his wife. I know he was upset about her asking him to kill Shane, but after everything Shane did I think even Rick knew that taking him out was necessary.
If you remember at the end of last season, she asked Rick to kill Shane... then when he did, and told her that he killed Shane... she reacted... not as what you would expect when someone asks someone to kill someone and that person actually does what that first someone asked. Wow, hope that made sense.

But yeah, when Rick told her that he had killed Shane... she seemed a little more upset than what one might have expected. If I recall correctly, he even left out Carl's involvement.

So if I were Rick, and that was the way my wife reacted to something she asked for... no, demanded... I might think that perhaps she had more feelings for Shane remaining than I would have hoped.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thanks stonyc. I see what you are saying. I'm sure they will develop the conflict between them a little more as the season goes on.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I hope they stick to the story of the comic. Its so much better. Shane being alive for as long as he was made me feel like I was watching the Butterfly effect part II.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I hope they stick to the story of the comic. Its so much better. Shane being alive for as long as he was made me feel like I was watching the Butterfly effect part II.

I completely know what you mean.

I am hoping they stick to the comic a lot during this run of the show. Color me super excited for this season. I could so see them if we move along that fast, having the final scene be the center page layout of the comic... that is the arc for this part of the books. If you have read the comics you know what I am talking the scene with the Governer and the wife. Oh man oh man!!!!

That would blow people away if they follow this!

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Some of the comic content is really really brutal. I mean if they didn't want shane to get blown away by the kid within the first couple episodes, I'm not sure if they will take some of the steps that made that arc really really intense.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
I'm going to navigate the middle here and say that some of the comic book content is better than the TV version, and some of the TV stuff is better. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
SPOILERS​

If you remember at the end of last season, she asked Rick to kill Shane... then when he did, and told her that he killed Shane... she reacted... not as what you would expect when someone asks someone to kill someone and that person actually does what that first someone asked. Wow, hope that made sense.

But yeah, when Rick told her that he had killed Shane... she seemed a little more upset than what one might have expected. If I recall correctly, he even left out Carl's involvement.

So if I were Rick, and that was the way my wife reacted to something she asked for... no, demanded... I might think that perhaps she had more feelings for Shane remaining than I would have hoped.

Along these lines:
Lori: "Shane is dangerous" (I don't want to actually say what I want you to do, but this is a lawless survival situation, wink,wink.)
Rick: "Shane tried to kill me but I killed him.
Lori: Body language- YOU DISGUST ME!

...or was it "you disgust me because it was my innocent little boy who put down Shane"? Not really Rick's fault either.

It looks like Lori is now trying to smooth things over with Rick. But I don't remember this happening in the comic, because in the comic, Shane died quite a long time ago at the quarry and there was no issues I recall between Rick and Lori over his death.

I'm going to navigate the middle here and say that some of the comic book content is better than the TV version, and some of the TV stuff is better. :)

Agreed. :)

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I need to pick up the comics to compare the show against them myself.

This prison so far has been full of surprises!

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I've been highly critical of the first two seasons, but so far the third season hasn't disappointed. Much more tightly paced, Lori's been reigned in at least a little, and some of the developments have had a lot of intrigue.

----------

But I don't remember this happening in the comic, because in the comic, Shane died quite a long time ago at the quarry and there was no issues I recall between Rick and Lori over his death.

That's probably because in the comics it was Carl who killed Shane. Lori and Rick had some strife over the parentage of the baby instead.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
SPOILERS

Did you guys see the two episodes of season 3 yet? Cause they are kinda similar... but not really. I thought it was a minor disappointment.

There is some similar scenes, however with the characters being different or the characters being killed off, there is some differences.

I have actually enjoyed it. Lots of killing and what have you and that is how the comic is from the moment they enter the prison.

The scene with the new convicts was different. So there is an arc that for now is not going to happen, unless they make one of the two fellows who were allowed to live one of the bad guys.

They did pay homage to the "judge/jury/executioner" line of the books when rick kills the two prisoners. You could see it in his eyes and the "group discussion" if you will is right out of the book.

I am actually quite pleased with this season so far. I am still waiting to see how the Governer is going to be played out.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I managed to catch the first series of this, and it was brilliantly well done.

Indeed! The first short season was mesmerizing. I'd say the series is still good and watchable, but it has lost some of its sparkle since the beginning. I wonder if this is because Frank Darabont left the series?

There is some similar scenes, however with the characters being different or the characters being killed off, there is some differences.

I have actually enjoyed it. Lots of killing and what have you and that is how the comic is from the moment they enter the prison.

The scene with the new convicts was different. So there is an arc that for now is not going to happen, unless they make one of the two fellows who were allowed to live one of the bad guys.

They did pay homage to the "judge/jury/executioner" line of the books when rick kills the two prisoners. You could see it in his eyes and the "group discussion" if you will is right out of the book.

I am actually quite pleased with this season so far. I am still waiting to see how the Governer is going to be played out.

It was quite horrific. spoiler> However I suspect they don't want to kill off current characters, except maybe Beth or Carol. ;) <<end spoiler.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Spoilers ->I agree that there are no "extra" recurring characters to get rid of during at this point unlike the Greene twins. I also thought that the scene where Tomas kills Big Tiny echoed the events of comic #100. The fact that the inmates are not being "integrated" is the key plot difference.<-

B

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoilers ->...<-

B

Who knows? :) This plot event could easily be incorporated into the series at some point as it has deviated drastically from the comic. I stopped reading the comic when I got past this plot event we have been discussing because I wanted to be surprised in the show for future events. Now I just think I'll keep reading the comic and not worry about it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.