Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Elliot

All 3 got 33% of the vote. the last % split between them, so yeah, it was clooose

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
njmac said:
Elliot

All 3 got 33% of the vote. the last % split between them, so yeah, it was clooose

though my favorite was elliott, i expected taylor to get 50 percent of the vote, and for kat and elliott to split the remaining 50 percent

i just can't get over taylor and his joe cocker rendition...i think that performance won him the entire competition...or at least respect for those who didn't respect taylor before

i think next week, many of elliott's fans will go for taylor and he will win by a huge margin

taylor may make a solo album, via clive davis, and it will go multi-platinum, but then taylor will go back to his band and they will go multi-platinum...i have no doubt about that

five years from now, who do you think will still be there?

EVERY winner is guaranteed a good first album due to american idol exposure:

kelly clarkson...3 million, one number one hit, and a grammy
rueben...2 million, one number one hit
fantasia...2 million, and four grammy nominations
carrie...3 million, one number one hit

and don't for get some others

clay...3 million, one number one hit
bo...almost 1 million

counting worldwide sales of these six debuts, plus the idol 12 albums over the seasons, there have been 23 million in album sales, which is extremely impressive

kelly has had a second album sell 10 million, and the other five will, as a group, sell many millions in their second records, and it won't be long before the american idol franchise can claim 50 million albums in sales worldwide...that's almost as much as guns and roses or kiss in their entire careers

if idol goes another five seasons, total american idol related album sales will top either elvis, or michael jackson, or the beatles and the tv franchise will be like arista, columbia, capitol, or motown in its own right

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Sorry- last night was pathetic. The fact that Katherine has gotten this far doesn't say anything good about taste level in the US. I've watched all the Idols so far and this season is the absolute worst.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
leekohler said:
Sorry- last night was pathetic. The fact that Katherine has gotten this far doesn't say anything good about taste level in the US. I've watched all the Idols so far and this season is the absolute worst.

there were no clear favorites from the beginning like the other four seasons

season one was dominated by kelly and justin
season two was all clay and rueben
season three was fantasia
season four, imho, was bo and constantine

this season has had all its singers have their ups and downs and nobody could have reasonably predicted a clear favorite, even halfway into the season...but at least one can claim it makes it more interesting this way

in season three when fantasia was blowing away the competition, it was almost boring to wait for the inevitable finale, wouldn't you say?...when they were in the final 24 contestants in season three, simon commented that fantasia didn't need the competition because she was already a star

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
jefhatfield said:
there were no clear favorites from the beginning like the other four seasons

season one was dominated by kelly and justin
season two was all clay and rueben
season three was fantasia
season four, imho, was bo and constantine

this season has had all its singers have their ups and downs and nobody could have reasonably predicted a clear favorite, even halfway into the season...but at least one can claim it makes it more interesting this way

in season three when fantasia was blowing away the competition, it was almost boring to wait for the inevitable finale, wouldn't you say?...when they were in the final 24 contestants in season three, simon commented that fantasia didn't need the competition because she was already a star

But at least Fantasia had a great voice and great talent- so yeah, she was blast to watch.

I like Taylor a lot, but there is no way he's vocally more talented than Paris or Chris. And Katherine is just...embarrassing.

And no, I don't find this interesting to watch at all. I think it's sad.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I did not like Fantasia, her voice was whinny and raspy and she can't hold a tune.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
MacNut said:
I did not like Fantasia, her voice was whinny and raspy and she can't hold a tune.

simon has called kat's voice whinny a couple of times and she is one win from being the next american idol

you can be whinny, but if you have that x factor, like fantasia did, and like kat has, as some here believe, then you can win

dylan or jagger didn't have great voices, but their considerable x factors made them, and make them stars

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I really loved Katharine's 3rd song (her single)--why didn't the judges like it?

Of course her second song "Over The Rainbow" was immaculate.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Whoever wrote those last two songs should have to face Donald Trump. YOUR FIRED! Those songs were freaking terrible. They sounded like a 5th grader wrote them. Kat and Taylor sang them poorly as well IMO, but the lyrics made me laugh they were so corny.

But leaving out the debacle that was the last two songs... here's how I would rate the performances. Both Kat and Taylor did well on their first two.

1. Kat-Somewhere Over the Rainbow
2. Taylor - 1st Song
3. Kat - 1st Song
4. Taylor - 2nd Song

Although I may flip #2 and 3 and put both of Kat's songs over Taylor.

But I think Taylor will probably still win. I just wish Elliott had made it to the finals. I think the show dropped off some without having his voice on tonight.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
MacNut said:
I say its a toss up with a slight edge to Taylor.
If Taylor had sung You Are So Beautiful again or something like "Drift Away" that went with his voice really well, I'd agree with you. I think objectively Kat did a better job tonight. But Taylor will still win because of his fan base.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Kat had maybe her best night tonight but I wish she would of picked a better first song. Had she opened with something big I would give her the edge.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I always consider the final 2 the "winners" but the official winner will be Taylor.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Eek. The final episode made it very apparent that America voted the wrong 2 people to go this far. C'mon... all of those performances were terribly inferior to prior performances by other contestants. Vocally Katharine can't compare to a whole plethora of her former peers, namely Mandisa. Her voice is small, she just stretches it as far as it will go. It doesn't sound good. On top of that she lacks personality, she is unoriginal, and predictable.

Ah.... Predictable. Predictable and Taylor Hicks go hand in hand. He has a great natural voice that hasn't progressed one bit since the beginning of the competition. He has never really wowed me. His voice has a great natural tone, but his dances and his bluesy classic-rocky songs got old a long time ago.

All in all, I'm disappointed with this season. How in the world did we end up with these 2 mediocre performers? I really don't even care who wins, they are both mediocre IMO.

e

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
scem0 said:
Eek. The final episode made it very apparent that America voted the wrong 2 people to go this far. C'mon... all of those performances were terribly inferior to prior performances by other contestants. Vocally Katharine can't compare to a whole plethora of her former peers, namely Mandisa. Her voice is small, she just stretches it as far as it will go. It doesn't sound good. On top of that she lacks personality, she is unoriginal, and predictable.

Ah.... Predictable. Predictable and Taylor Hicks go hand in hand. He has a great natural voice that hasn't progressed one bit since the beginning of the competition. He has never really wowed me. His voice has a great natural tone, but his dances and his bluesy classic-rocky songs got old a long time ago.

All in all, I'm disappointed with this season. How in the world did we end up with these 2 mediocre performers? I really don't even care who wins, they are both mediocre IMO.

e
I completely disagree. Katherine has a strong voice and great range. Taylor has a great stage presence and a voice that doesn't go over the top.

Im sorry if they don't sound like a generic Britney Spears or something you would hear on MTV

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I still cant figure out the fascination with Elliot, He was not that good, maybe its the years of music lessons I've taken but he was not all that great a singer.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
MacNut said:
I completely disagree. Katherine has a strong voice and great range. Taylor has a great stage presence and a voice that doesn't go over the top.

Im sorry if they don't sound like a generic Britney Spears or something you would hear on MTV

Katharine sounds exactly like someone you'd hear on MTV. And Simon was right about Taylor, he's like a (better than average) drunk Dad at a wedding.

e

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
From day one when Simon tried to pass on Taylor, I've been waiting to hear Simon's final thoughts on the subject. I'm now satisfied and don't care who wins.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
scem0 said:
Katharine sounds exactly like someone you'd hear on MTV. And Simon was right about Taylor, he's like a (better than average) drunk Dad at a wedding.

e
As opposed to stuff you hear on MTV Katharine has a range and a naturally strong voice. Taylor has an old school Rod Stewart/Willie Nelson type voice.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Heb1228 said:
Whoever wrote those last two songs should have to face Donald Trump. YOUR FIRED! Those songs were freaking terrible. They sounded like a 5th grader wrote them.
I agree. Really really terrible.

I think Taylor deserves to win. Katharine is too methodical. She paints it all up without clear purpose. Taylor, on the other hand, sings because he enjoys it, and the enjoyment is infectious.

At any rate, the finale was a bit of a disappointment. When Fantasia sang her last song in the finale and the choir folks got behind her, it was really something. It was a celebration of her victory; didn't even seem as if she was singing the same song Diana had sung. I was hoping Taylor would do the same and really declare his victory with the last song, but it just didn't happen.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
MacNut said:
I still cant figure out the fascination with Elliot, He was not that good, maybe its the years of music lessons I've taken but he was not all that great a singer.

He was inconsistent, but his voice was very good. He sang difficult songs, which is more than Katharine can say. How can you say Katharine has a good voice? Her head voice, upper range, is horrible. Pitchy, weak, and airy. Her lower range is horrible too, as the beginning of her single showed. Pitchy and weak. She has a decent middle range. Her power is mediocre. She is often pitchy. She sings easy songs, with easy chord changes, and easy arrangements. She tries to sing power ballads in the vein of whitney houston, mariah carey, etc. She fails. Her voice isn't big enough for the songs.

e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.