Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
You can still reserve to pick up in store at a set time in the UK, you pay when you arrive. This is not the same as Local Pickup in the USA where you pay online and collect in store.

Just image Currys - reserve your TV, turn up with a reservation number and your TV is waiting. If you don't turn up that day, its available for some one else to buy.

Ah, OK, thanks. If that's true (like how the handled the 6/6+ reservations), then that's great. I presume you'd even be able to try it on then before purchasing?

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Does anyone else think this is insulting? If I'm in a retail store it's to buy a product right then and there. The "please order this online" line would make me roll me eyes.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
So a person shows up at an Apple Store, excited to get their hands on the latest product. An employee tells them to go home and order online instead. How does this make the customer happy?

Feels like a speech from 1999 to me.

First the consumer segregation of class, retail employees giving style tips, now this. I'm not really liking Angela.

Last edited:

Tejas57

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2015
what the hell is this woman smoking? i want an apple watch. i don't have a credit or debit card. i want to pay cash. i'm happy to reserve online and pick up instore to ensure i get what i want but if i can't i'll be sending an email to t.cook@apple.com and letting him know i'm not happy

(and before you say it i know tim doesn't get the emails personally - but i have also had a good response the one other time i used that address when i was left to sit for 45 minutes after an appointment time after reserving an iphone 6 online)

But I'm British; I enjoy queuing in an orderly fashion.
and probably not enjoy losing to the aussies at cricket (sorry.. as an aussie i couldn't resist)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Unfortunately those days are indeed over. I walked passed the Apple store on Regent Street, London in the afternoon of 18/9/14, just hours before the iPhone 6 Launch.

Huh? You expected to see a huge line the day before the iPhone 6 launch?

Most people who line up just get up early in the morning. Staying overnight in a tent is particularly hard core, even for Apple fans. Also, I think the Covent Garden store generates longer lines than Regent Street - simply because Covent Garden is a much more pleasant and more interesting environment to line up in!

But you may be right that Apple are discouraging lines because they're worried there won't be much of a line up for the Apple Watch.

Or, it might just be that Angela Ahrendts abhors lines. They're unbecoming of the luxury brand that she wants Apple to be.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
You can still reserve to pick up in store at a set time in the UK, you pay when you arrive. This is not the same as Local Pickup in the USA where you pay online and collect in store.

That doesn't tie up with the message in the article though.

One way Apple will limit in-store waiting times for the Apple Watch is by requiring reservations for pickup at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, although Business Insider notes that in-store pickup will not be available whatsoever to U.K. customers at launch.

There are a lot of mixed signals coming out about this launch, it's all starting to get a bit confusing. :confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I absolutely hate that the Coach store at outlet malls only allow so many people in the store at a time so they can create lines on purpose. So dumb.

The pandora store at my local mall does this, and I think its a good idea. Only enough people in the store as there are sales people. So its not a crazy mess in the small jewelry store. I only go in once a year for a Christmas gift for the wife, so I can put up with that sort of stuff.

Lushchicken

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
That doesn't tie up with the article though.

There are a lot of mixed signals coming out about this launch, it's all starting to get a bit confusing. :confused:

That really is confusing. To me it sounds like there will be zero units available at UK stores at the launch date.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Maybe they know the lines won't be long so they're trying to mask it with this?

Yeah, I'd wondered about that. At the end of a disappointing launch week, press releases can focus on the phenomenal success of the "no-lines" system.

"Look! No lines! Success!". Hmmm.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
For the phone and the tablet and the computer this all makes sense. We have significant experience with them and the convenience of online fits well.

For the watch, however, I want to go into the store and try it on and play with it a bit before deciding. Then if/when I decide, I want to walk out of the store with it on my wrist. I don't want to be told that now that I have decided, I should order on-line and wait for it to arrive. That is pretty much going to kill my desire built up during the experience in store.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Unfortunately those days are indeed over. I walked passed the Apple store on Regent Street, London in the afternoon of 18/9/14, just hours before the iPhone 6 Launch. I was expecting to see a huge queue with parts of the the pavement sectioned off... but there was just 3 people in a small tent! Now that may well of increased in the following few hours, but by how much?

It was embarrassing!

No wonder Apple aren't launching :apple:Pay and iTunes in the UK.... there just doesn't seem to be enough demand, looking at the (lack of) queue....

/s

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Sadly over the years, the cult status of lining up for apple products has seen the faithful fans dwarfed in numbers by scalpers. From what was positive publicity for apple has turned into a negative.

I feel for the old school fans, but something must be done about these scalpers. I'd even like to see Apple invite people for launch based on their prior purchase history And registered devices.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm not buying any MacBook that I haven't seen and used in person. I'll wait a week or two, read some reviews, and then go to my local Apple Store to give it a spin after the watch crowd simmers down.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
That really is confusing. To me it sounds like there will be zero units available at UK stores at the launch date.

That's also how I read it. I can't understand why Apple doesn't make stuff like this crystal clear and state exactly what the restrictions are well in advance of the pre-order date. :(

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Good! I can order my Apple Watch and have it delivered to my job, without having to take off or come into work late. It's too darn hot to be standing in LONG lines. I guess its all a personal preference, but I don't think I'm ever doing the lines for new Apple products again. It was fun a few years ago, though.

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
"The Apple Store app and our online store make it much easier to purchase Apple Watch and the new MacBook."

Really? Then why can't I use the Apple Store Gift Card with the Apple Store app to buy the Apple Watch (or anything)? Very frustrating to get a gift card in anticipation of the Apple Watch launch, only to learn through excruciating support calls that the Apple Store app does not recognize Apple Store gift cards. So now I've got to take my chances on the web browser to order the watch at launch time, and we all know how that has played out. :mad:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There are no headlines and worldwide pictures for online orders.

Bad move by someone who doesn't understand tech.

Doed Apple really still need those? At what point does this stuff no longer become necessary? Heck for the last couple iPads releases Apple didn't even say when they would be available in store. When the iPad mini came out I went to my local Apple store early in the morning and there were zero lines and next to nobody in the store. Outside of iPhones I think the days of standing in line outside an Apple store are past their sell by date. And even with iPhone the lines now are mostly filled with scalpers/resellers.

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
After getting stuck inside the Apple Store for almost 8 hours waiting for an activation problem to be fixed during the iPhone 3G launch day, I'm afraid the "experience" wore a little thin for me. :mad:

too bad for you...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
For the phone and the tablet and the computer this all makes sense. We have significant experience with them and the convenience of online fits well.

For the watch, however, I want to go into the store and try it on and play with it a bit before deciding. Then if/when I decide, I want to walk out of the store with it on my wrist. I don't want to be told that now that I have decided, I should order on-line and wait for it to arrive. That is pretty much going to kill my desire built up during the experience in store.

My guess is a few months from now when the hype has died down and Apple has a better handle on demand and which models/combinations are most popular you will be able to walk in, try one on and walk out with what you want.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
I think some actually prefer to wait in line, it’s all part of the experience. Maybe this is specifically for the Watch and MacBook for now but she needs to make sure the shopping experience doesn’t diminish.
It’s a delicate balance.

Yes, I think she is missing the point that waiting in line with your fellow Apple afficionados is part of the Apple experience for some.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Yes, I think she is missing the point that waiting in line with your fellow Apple afficionados is part of the Apple experience for some.

With the Watch, Apple wants to project the image that it is something to be worn by the cool, beautiful and healthy.

These are not attributes which describe your typical line-waiting "Apple aficionado" ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.