Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
It'll be funny to have scalpers who clearly dont know or care about the product have to pretend to go through the motions. I imagine many will argue and/or reveal their true intent to Apple Store staff so they can get out of fittings.

If this move helps remove scalpers, I'm all for it. Yes, I know they have the right as its a free country, but that doesn't mean the company and it's customers don't find them annoying.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I agree with you. Why should I throw my hard earned money at someone named Hugo Boss. And I bet Mr. Boss had someone in China make that $75 shirt for only $5. Who's the sucker now?

We work for the person who can pay $75 for a t-shirt. He or she is making mega profits off our work. That makes us the suckers. ;)

Again the marketplace is wide & not a zero sum game. The pebble isn't for everyone just as the AW may not be. Get over it already and move on with your life. You'll be happier for it unless your joy is derived from hate.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts has issued an internal memo to retail employees that encourages store staff to direct customers to the Apple Online Store to purchase the Apple Watch and new MacBook

Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by this?

Given the huge success that Apple's retail stores have given the company, given that Apple products must be experienced in person to fully appreciate their quality and user experience, and given the astronomical compensation package Ahrendts received, for me this message has landed with a loud and off-putting thud.

This is something I'd have expected from John Browett.

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
That may be true for the "tech" crowd but a LOT of people I know hate going to the Apple Store now because it is so chaotic, particularly around product launches.

It sounds like Apple has concluded that the long lines have run their course, and the stores should showcase the products.

Agree 100%. Everyone I know, techie or non-techie hates going to the Apple store because its always such chaos almost any time of day you go

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
People don't need keyless ignition on there cars yet it's a popular option - and can be pricey on most cars at $500+. That $500 just to not have to stick a key in a slot or push a button to unlock.

I agree with its basic utility, but I still don't think the average iPhone users will put down $350 for one.

Last edited:

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts has issued an internal memo to retail employees that encourages store staff to direct customers to the Apple Online Store to purchase the Apple Watch and new MacBook, according to Business Insider. Ahrendts says that this is "a significant change in mindset" for Apple, noting that the long lines that typically form on Apple product launch days "are over" at retail stores.Apple previously outlined changes to its so-called "Customer Journey" in leaked training documents obtained by MacRumors last month, emphasizing that retail employees will be focused on "reducing wait times and physical lines" and ensuring that customers get the Apple Watch that is best for them.

One way Apple will limit in-store waiting times for the Apple Watch is by requiring reservations for pickup at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, although Business Insider notes that in-store pickup will not be available whatsoever to U.K. customers at launch. U.S. customers will be able to reserve for pickup, although stock will likely be tight compared to online availability.

Apple Stores will have limited in-store supply of the Apple Watch when the wrist-worn device goes on sale April 24. Apple will begin accepting online pre-orders for the Apple Watch on April 10, the same day try-on appointments will be available for customers, in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom. Read how to pre-order the Apple Watch and what to expect at a try-on appointment for useful info ahead of time.

Article Link: Angela Ahrendts: 'The Days of Waiting in Line' at Apple Stores Are Over

Since they're getting all over not inconveniencing the customer by having us order online, perhaps she could change online ordering release times of new product to commence at 9am EST 6am PST and enlist some more servers to avoid the system crashing.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I doube this. People will still line up for iPhones if anything. But I would wish to be very wrong and hope that buying an Apple product is this easy on launch day.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That may be true for the "tech" crowd but a LOT of people I know hate going to the Apple Store now because it is so chaotic, particularly around product launches.

It sounds like Apple has concluded that the long lines have run their course, and the stores should showcase the products.

Yep. Use the store as showrooms to give people hands on experience before they buy. Personally I think the long lines are passé. But them I'm sure some here long for the day when Apple didn't sell millions of "iToys" and was just a niche company selling premium Macs to enthusiasts.

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
Seems like a good idea. I would want the whole watch experience to be very personal, and I've never had a problem with pre ordering early and getting it on launch day.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
I may be wrong, but I agree with this.

I think after the initial influx of early adopters, tech enthusiasts, and those people who just want to look cool, the Apple Watch will mostly just sit at the table and be admired.

I just don't think that many people are going to hand over $350 on an accessory that really adds little needed functional benefit over their phone. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool concept and I wouldn't mind having one, but not for $350 on a first gen device of a new and unproven product category.

My take on it is that the Apple Watch is a paradigm shift type of product. Even if it takes off slowly, over time the use cases and ecosystem will expand making it be a convenience more people will pay to incorporate into their lifestyle. On product evolution I hope that battery life/quick charging is a priority over minimizing the thickness or at least some compromise is made between these opposing goals. At this point it really doesn't feel like it will ever be upgradable internally. Where iPhone has become a must have product, Watch may take a long time to be that essential. I can see one day Apple bundling the Watch with iPhone with some sort of, albeit small, incentive.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
I think the lines were good publicity at one point but those days seem to be long gone. I think the iPhone 6 launch killed it.

The biggest problem with the lines was the replacement of true Apple fans with opportunists looking to resell a new iPhone in China at a huge markup. Their focus should have been to find ways to address that, not to snobbishly tell retail customers they'd be better off shopping online. What's the real objective here, to minimize Edition Watch buyers' exposure to the unwashed masses?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I agree with its basic utility, but I still don't think the average iPhone users will pug down $350 for one.

Probably at this stage that won't happen. But there are enough iPhone 4S and up in the wild that Apple doesn need the average buyer, just 5% for AW to set up traction for 2.0.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
The lines of good natured Apple fans who wanted to own the product and displayed a friendly, 'we're in this together' attitude, were good things, sadly, it's now lines of scalpers pushing and shoving, being threatening and swallowing up as much stock as they can to turn a quick profit thats ruined it.

I noticed this at the Soho store that I walk by on my way to work. When the 6 came out, there were people lined up every day for two, three weeks each morning. But they were mostly the same people, buying the max the per customer each day and probably trying to sell them online themselves.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I say good on Apple for making a positive move to avoid the "non-english" speaking "customers" from hoarding their supply of product. Now if they could only eliminate that line at the genius bar.

The whole waiting in line thing was cute for the past 10 years but times are changing. Besides, most of us dont have overnight to wait in-line who have jobs and bills to pay.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK

My point was that it's good exposure for Apple, not whether people like or dislike going during a launch period.

Either way it doesn't bother me as I can't think of anything worse than standing in-line for hours on end, I always pre-order.

LukeBo

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
You can still reserve to pick up in store at a set time in the UK, you pay when you arrive. This is not the same as Local Pickup in the USA where you pay online and collect in store.

Just image Currys - reserve your TV, turn up with a reservation number and your TV is waiting. If you don't turn up that day, its available for some one else to buy.

What's your source, if I may ask?
As per what I read online, in Europe, purchasing online with home delivery will be the only option on the 10th.

See here (it's the same article referenced in this MacRumors post): http://uk.businessinsider.com/angel...indset-to-launching-apple-watch-online-2015-4

For the Apple Watch launch in the UK, the only way to get an Apple Watch will be to order online and then have it shipped to your home, even if you're in the store. After customers arrive in the store, employees will order the watch for them through "Kiosk," Apple's internal version of the online Apple Store. (That way, the local store gets credit for the sale even though the sale was conducted through the web site.)

Crucially, "there will be no store pickup" for Apple Watch in the UK, according to the source who leaked us the memo. Watches will only be shipped to their homes after they have chosen their model and strap. The US system will do something similar but customers will still be able to pick up their watch at the store if they insist. Otherwise, customers will be encouraged to order online and get the product delivered to their home address.

To my understanding, it's pretty clear that reservations for in store pickup will be available only after the 24th.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
I guess you pull your phone out, order online, you hear the bell on the phone saying the purchase went through, you look back up and say, "I'm here to pick up my watch."

Then you smile like the big giant geek you are.?.

Good luck with that strategy on April 24th.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Given the huge success that Apple's retail stores have given the company, given that Apple products must be experienced in person to fully appreciate their quality and user experience, and given the astronomical compensation package Ahrendts received, for me this message has landed with a loud and off-putting thud..
I'd say that with the new Apple Watch "Try On" system that she's implenting, she very well understands (and is catering specifically to) the whole "experience a new Apple product in person" aspect of Apple Stores.

As for getting rid of the "amusement-park on a crowded summer holiday weekend" type of lines during launch events, ... I'd have to guess that 99% of the people in line are there solely for immediate gratification vs. being there to "appreciate there to fully appreciate the quality and user experience" of the product they're trying to buy.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
My point was that it's good exposure for Apple
I'm sure it's different depending on where you live, but long lines at Apple Stores during launches get no extra local media coverage where I live, like they used to a few years ago.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I'm sure it's different depending on where you live, but long lines at Apple Stores during launches get no extra local media coverage where I live, like they used to a few years ago.

True but there is a psychological value when people walk past those long lines.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Hey Angela,
Just make sure that Apple's site has enough capacity to handle the online load it will have. BTW, it was a poor idea to have the crowds come ON THE SAME DAY as the pre-sale. Why not give people 2 days before presale to at least even see this watch in person!?? It would be so much better to have seen the watch and been able to try it on BEFORE the presale started! Then we WOULD all know what we want. Instead, those of us who are long time customers, know that we will have to place our order immediately upon the sale, not waiting for say "the space grey" models to go out stock and have longer wait times for shipping!!

Over my a$$!! The line is going to wrap around the store on the 10th!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.